Slow crunching of Word tables?
Thread poster: richhealy
richhealy
richhealy
German to English
Mar 10, 2004

Has anyone figured a way to make Trados process Word tables faster? It is piggishly slow on all our machines, which is painful when a whole doc has been formatted in tables....

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
English to German
+ ...
Are you using Normal view? Mar 11, 2004

Hi Rich,
Unfortunately you did not specify which versions you're using (Word as well as Trados).

Are you working in 'Normal' view?

Best regards, Ralf

EKM
EKM
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
CPU...? Mar 13, 2004

I had that same problem on my previous machine - Pentium 450, 256 MB RAM, Trados 5.5 with all patches, Windows 98, Word 2000 - making it such a hassle to translate tables with Trados that I would eventually opt to translate these docs manually and then paste the texts into a blank document and then retranslate them be reviewing the manually translated file, in order to preserve the translations in a TM. This was of course very far from ideal.

When I bought a new computer with 2.9
... See more
I had that same problem on my previous machine - Pentium 450, 256 MB RAM, Trados 5.5 with all patches, Windows 98, Word 2000 - making it such a hassle to translate tables with Trados that I would eventually opt to translate these docs manually and then paste the texts into a blank document and then retranslate them be reviewing the manually translated file, in order to preserve the translations in a TM. This was of course very far from ideal.

When I bought a new computer with 2.9 Ghz CPU, 256 MB RAM, Windows and Office XP, and used them with the same version of Trados, the problems disappeared. I suppose that is not much consolation to your current situation though...
Collapse

richhealy
richhealy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yep...Normal View Mar 13, 2004

Ralf, It's definitely in Normal view.
The problem seems to arise when people format docs entirely with tables, have a lot of screen shots in them and -- most importantly numbered and bulleted lists.

Word 2000
Trados 5.5 Freelance

Regards, Rich

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Rich,
Unfortunately you did not specify which versions you're using (Word as well as Trados).

Are you working in 'Normal' view?

Best regards, Ralf

richhealy
richhealy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem seems to be with numbered/bulleted lists Mar 13, 2004

Mårten,
Same thing even on my wife's brand spanking new 2.8 GHz laptop.
What appears to be happening is that both Trados AND Wordfast [I was getting frustrated and tried everything] seem to process each cell from the top of the cell when htere is a numbered list when translating to the next fuzzy match, i.e. if I hit the button to go on the third bullet, it seems to go back to the top of the cell and process the first two bullets and the third on before opening the fourth. It does t
... See more
Mårten,
Same thing even on my wife's brand spanking new 2.8 GHz laptop.
What appears to be happening is that both Trados AND Wordfast [I was getting frustrated and tried everything] seem to process each cell from the top of the cell when htere is a numbered list when translating to the next fuzzy match, i.e. if I hit the button to go on the third bullet, it seems to go back to the top of the cell and process the first two bullets and the third on before opening the fourth. It does this ieven on presegmented docs.
Since this one had few repetitions, I just jumped to the next segment and kept cranking, and then updated the TM upon clean-up. Someone suggested this and it worked. Would be bad in the case of dics with a lot of reps.
I guess trying to segment it and then only work in one of the other apps, e.g. use tag editor and then rip the document using the completed TM might work.
At any rate it's a weird phenomenon.
Thanks!
Rich

Mårten Dalhed wrote:

When I bought a new computer with 2.9 Ghz CPU, 256 MB RAM, Windows and Office XP, and used them with the same version of Trados, the problems disappeared. I suppose that is not much consolation to your current situation though...
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried setting Word RegOptions? Mar 13, 2004

Hi again,
Word 2000

Aha.

Have you tried optimising the settings in the Word RegOptions in the support9.dot template?

The details are described in this article on the Trados KB.

HTH, Ralf

richhealy
richhealy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
WIll do so, but that doesn't appear to be issue Mar 14, 2004

Ralf,
Will try to do so, however, this issue seems to be that the TWB 5.5 wants to go to the top of the cell in cells with numbered/bulleted lists and reopen every segment on the way back down to the current segment. This is what is making it so "pokey."
Regards,
Rich

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
Word 2000

Aha.

Have you tried optimising the settings in the Word RegOptions in the support9.dot template?

The details are described in this article on the Trados KB.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow crunching of Word tables?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »