Error message: UnExpected error during backward conversion Tag()
Thread poster: Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:44
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2011

I finally managed to actually translate an INX file using a client TM in 2007, and now I can't save it or preview it because of this error. Anyone know what it means? TIA.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Trouble Mar 9, 2011

Anna Haxen wrote:

I finally managed to actually translate an INX file using a client TM in 2007, and now I can't save it or preview it because of this error. Anyone know what it means? TIA.

Install Cumulative File Format Filter Update for SDL Trados 2007 Suite (article #3368 on Talisma), create TTX again and see if pretranslated one will convert back to INX. If not, you have just found INX that will simply not work with SDL Trados 2007 Suite filters.

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Mar 9, 2011

Thank you for your help. I found the update and installed it, but it still doesn't work.

What kind of brain dead CAT tool allows you to open and translate a file and then refuses to let you proceed from there? None that I've used so far.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
QA Checker used? Mar 9, 2011

Dear Anna,

Did you try running the QA checker to make sure all relevant tags are in the right place? For details check page 7-3 of the "Translator's Workbench User Guide" you can find via Start > All Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 > Documentation.

You also may want to have a look at Chapter 6 of the "File Format Reference Guide" - can be found in the same place.

Best regards,
Judith

katejmichael
katejmichael
Canada
Local time: 01:44
French to English
+ ...
Conversion error persists Oct 11, 2012

Hello,

I was hoping someone might have found a fix for this problem. The client provided a .ttx file that I was able to translate, but I get this error when I try to "Save target as." I have run all the hotfixes and updates from SDL, but no luck. I consulted the reference docs available from Trados, but they do not seem to have an answer. Moreover, it appears that my Story Collector file has an error, so I cannot create a new .ttx file from the original.

Any tips would
... See more
Hello,

I was hoping someone might have found a fix for this problem. The client provided a .ttx file that I was able to translate, but I get this error when I try to "Save target as." I have run all the hotfixes and updates from SDL, but no luck. I consulted the reference docs available from Trados, but they do not seem to have an answer. Moreover, it appears that my Story Collector file has an error, so I cannot create a new .ttx file from the original.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kate
Collapse

Dusan Rabrenovic
Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Recreate fresh TTX or open empty TTX after format filter update Oct 14, 2012

I had the same issue several months ago, and found my TTX files unable to save even after I had applied the update. Turns out the entire workflow needs to have the update applied for it to work, that is either your client/agency who sends you the TTX, or yourself when you first create the TTX. It won't work if you just apply the update and then try save-as-target on the TTX that was translated before that without the update.

You should also always remember to try save-as-target as s
... See more
I had the same issue several months ago, and found my TTX files unable to save even after I had applied the update. Turns out the entire workflow needs to have the update applied for it to work, that is either your client/agency who sends you the TTX, or yourself when you first create the TTX. It won't work if you just apply the update and then try save-as-target on the TTX that was translated before that without the update.

You should also always remember to try save-as-target as soon as you translate the first segment. That way, you have more time to deal with these issues as opposed to one hour before deadline (learned it the hard way).

[Edited at 2012-10-14 04:28 GMT]
Collapse

Jorgen1977
Jorgen1977
Local time: 11:44
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Use Translate in TW Nov 12, 2012

I had the same problem, should have seen it coming as some of the tags I inserted looked different than the ones in the source ("Linebreak" was rectangular in the source but got an "arrow" in the end when I placed it in the source). I fixed this by Using the "Translate" option in TW. You should go through the .ttx afterwards (shouldn't you always?) to check that everything is translated. If this fail, a more time consuming way would be to restore the source so that the tags become identical, and... See more
I had the same problem, should have seen it coming as some of the tags I inserted looked different than the ones in the source ("Linebreak" was rectangular in the source but got an "arrow" in the end when I placed it in the source). I fixed this by Using the "Translate" option in TW. You should go through the .ttx afterwards (shouldn't you always?) to check that everything is translated. If this fail, a more time consuming way would be to restore the source so that the tags become identical, and then insert your translation.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: UnExpected error during backward conversion Tag()

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »