Mobile menu

How do I hide the source text in Trados?
Thread poster: Vanessa Lindsey

Vanessa Lindsey
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Latin to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2004

In Trados 6.5 freelance, when I translate a line, it appears next to the source text, rather than replacing it. I am required to return a translation as an uncleaned file. How do I hide the source text without removing it? I tried hitting the show/hide button, but that only shows/hides the tabs/spaces/carriage returns.

Please help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:18
English to German
+ ...
Let's get a few things straight... Mar 15, 2004

Hi Vanessa,
In Trados 6.5 freelance, when I translate a line, it appears next to the source text, rather than replacing it.

Which is exactly as designed - you only clean up at the end of the process.

I am required to return a translation as an uncleaned file. How do I hide the source text without removing it? I tried hitting the show/hide button, but that only shows/hides the tabs/spaces/carriage returns.

You did not specify which Word version you're using, so the commands may differ: you need to deactivate the display of hidden text (that's in Tools - Options IIRC).

Note that it's not always advisable to hide the source segments and tags, as you might inadvertently damage tags.

If you haven't done so, may I suggest you take a closer look at the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, which you can download from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

Please help.[/quote]

[Edited at 2004-03-15 17:58]

Matt Baird
Germany
Local time: 08:18
German to English
Uncheck "hidden text" Mar 15, 2004

Hi there,
I've experienced this in the past as well. In Word, go to Tools>Options. Under the "View" tab, the box next to "hidden text" should not be checked. Once unchecked, the source segments should be hidden when you click the show/hide butten.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Matt

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
English to Italian
+ ...
It happens to me too. Mar 15, 2004

If I understand your problem correctly, this happens to me too when I work inside a table. Sometimes I get whole jobs that are formatted in tables and it is very annoying.
It seems to happen only when I translate the last line of a table which ends with a sort of star.
Basically the problem is the missing paragraph sign.
If this happens, I usually open the translated segment, take it back to original text, add a paragraph sign and retranslate the segment. Then I go on adding the signs manually.

Sorry about my highly untechnical explanation...

Ciao
Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I hide the source text in Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs