Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2004

Trados 6 & Windows XP

I tried aligning 16000 words using WinAlign and it jammed, everytime I tried it.

So I cut the docs up into batches of about 5000 words each, but exactly the same thing is happening.

I add the text and after I click on 'align file pairs', Winalign just closes.

Any ideas why this is happening? There are no graphs of any kind in the texts.

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
As usual - more details... *g* Mar 21, 2004

Hi Ailish,
What type of documents are you trying to align? I'm assuming that these are Word documents, but I'd rather get confirmation...

I tried aligning 16000 words using WinAlign and it jammed, everytime I tried it.

Is the sudden closure of WinAlign all that's happening, or are there any other symptoms?

A few ideas:
- Assuming they're Word documents, try saving them as RTF before aligning (note that this is exactly what WinAlign does) - if you get problems doing this, you'll know the source of your problem.

- Check if the documents contain revision marks - if they do, accept all changes before aligning.

HTH, Ralf

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word docs converted to RTF Mar 21, 2004

Thanks again Ralf:-)

I have just done what you said, accept all changes, but it's still happening, exactly as before.

The only difference with the cut-up text and the entire text is that WinAlign collapsed with the large doc, and simply just closes with the smaller docs.

I have aligned other work, just as an experiment, and all has been OK.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you re-create the project? Mar 21, 2004

Hi again,

I have just done what you said, accept all changes, but it's still happening, exactly as before.

You will need to re-create the alignment project after having accepted the changes.
Did you do that?

Best regards, Ralf

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think that's the problem... Mar 21, 2004

I actually start off afresh each time, becuase I just cannot locate the 'new' alignment project, it's a mystery to me where they are saved anyway, but that was a problem I was leaving until later to resolve! I am new, as you know:-) to Trados and WinAlign.

In other words, every attempt to align has led to the creation of a new alignment project anyway, so I don't think that's the problem.

TIA:-)

[Edited at 2004-03-21 20:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win Align not working

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs