Thread poster: Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 19:09
French to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

I am trying my best to translate a couple of pages of ads that, when opened in Trados Studio 2009, are positively infested with tags!

Every single word is surrounded by tags, and there are many tags that have no words within.

Very hard to concentrate on the words themselves, of course! What to do? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance everybody!

P.S. The ads are presented in Adobe pdf form.

[Edited at 2011-04-08 10:27 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OCRed document? Apr 8, 2011

Please reformat the source document, so that no font changes will occur anymore.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Apr 8, 2011

Hello Jerzy,

How do you go about doing this?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE Apr 8, 2011

1. Mark the text in the source file and press CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE to remove the source text formatting; OR
2. Ore use styles in Word to pre-process the source document.

Either of them should improve things.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does this also work for pdfs? Apr 8, 2011

Hi there Stanislav,

As I'm working dorectly with a pdf (and I believe that's where the abundance of tags are coming from), I don't know whether I'll be able to use Word to pre-process the doc.

So I tried the first method you mention. When you say "mark" the text in the source file, do you mean "select" it? Do you go about this in the source column while working in the Trados enviromnent, or elsewhere?

TIA!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Convert the PDF before you go to Studio Apr 8, 2011

or use now the "Save target as function" in Studio.
This will save a Word document.
Open this document in Word.
Select the whole text by pressing CTRL+A.
Now press CTRL+D and select a font of your choice (Times New Roman or Arial or whatever). Do not change ANYTHING else now, just select the font and click ok.
Press CTRL+D again (should the text get deselected, press CTRL+A before), select the same font again and go to the tab "Character spacing".
In "Scale" s
... See more
or use now the "Save target as function" in Studio.
This will save a Word document.
Open this document in Word.
Select the whole text by pressing CTRL+A.
Now press CTRL+D and select a font of your choice (Times New Roman or Arial or whatever). Do not change ANYTHING else now, just select the font and click ok.
Press CTRL+D again (should the text get deselected, press CTRL+A before), select the same font again and go to the tab "Character spacing".
In "Scale" select 100%, in Spacing select normal and deselect the "Kerning for fonts:" checkbox.
Press OK to save the settings, save the Word document and open this one in Studio. There will be far less tags now, not all will dissapear, but most of them.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio will anyway convert your PDF to Word Apr 8, 2011

verslanglais wrote:

Hi there Stanislav,

As I'm working dorectly with a pdf (and I believe that's where the abundance of tags are coming from), I don't know whether I'll be able to use Word to pre-process the doc.

TIA!

You can easily get hold of the Word produced by Studio by doing a preview of the source. This will open Word and you can pre-process this document in Word to clean up the formatting, then do a "Save as" and open that Word document in Studio instead of the PDF.

Walter

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:09
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@verslanglais Apr 8, 2011

I would suggest:

1. Convert the PDF to .doc with ABBYY FineReader (or a free online converter of your choice)
2. Run CodeZapper on Word document
3. Import into Studio and translate

There should be virtually zero tags if you follow this procedure.

Michael

http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 8, 2011

I appreciate your step-by-step directions, Jerzy. You've come to the rescue once again!

Have a nice sunny Friday afternoon!

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Michael! Apr 8, 2011

I'm on my way with Jerzy's technique, but will keep yours on file for next time.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try also CodeZapper Apr 8, 2011

Just for the record, in case someone reads this thread later. CodeZapper removes surplus code from Word-files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags, tags, everywhere!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »