Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is the text in source shown bold? Feb 1, 2012

Studio does by default not show any tags, when those are not necessary.
From what I know you are the first person to complain about that
Instead of tags Studio will show you bold and italic and even the font type (if available on your PC) and font size.
You can switch all this completely off and have just plain text and formatting or you can keep the visibility of formats and see also tags, depends on what you wi
... See more
Studio does by default not show any tags, when those are not necessary.
From what I know you are the first person to complain about that
Instead of tags Studio will show you bold and italic and even the font type (if available on your PC) and font size.
You can switch all this completely off and have just plain text and formatting or you can keep the visibility of formats and see also tags, depends on what you wish.
Collapse

Loredana Arama
Loredana Arama  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:49
Member (2009)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Tag editing problem Apr 6, 2012

Hi all.

I am a basic user of Trados Studio 2009 and I have a problem with one file. The source text contains some text tags and I do not succeed to figure it out how to translate the content of the tag but to appear in the target text as tag too, but in a different language.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelly Li
Kelly Li
Local time: 20:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
Variable issue in itd file when translating in Trados. Aug 23, 2012

Hi all,

Could you please let me know how I can switch to just plain text and formatting and keep the visibility of formats and see also tags.

I'm having problem with this.

Thank you,
Kelly

[Edited at 2012-08-24 05:32 GMT]

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Keep tags, but allow to discard them for matching purposes Oct 22, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I continue this thread because I did not find something more appropriate.

I personaly have no problem with the way tags are managed in the editor. I have however big concerns with the way tags are managed backstage. I often noticed how tag based matching is counter-productive. I wish there could be a way, after so many years of Trados/SDL development, to instruct Trados, NOT to take tag text into account when matching.

When you work with h
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I continue this thread because I did not find something more appropriate.

I personaly have no problem with the way tags are managed in the editor. I have however big concerns with the way tags are managed backstage. I often noticed how tag based matching is counter-productive. I wish there could be a way, after so many years of Trados/SDL development, to instruct Trados, NOT to take tag text into account when matching.

When you work with heavily tagged documents, Trados regularly finds "good matches" based only on the tags, while the meaningful words are completely different! Conversely, the exact same phrase will have a very low matching score and may well be ignored if the tags differ. This is all the more true for short phrases, but short phrases represent the majority of segments in many technical documents.

So please when will we be able to disable at will the tag matching, so that we can leverage our TM even in different formatting contexts or in the case of ill-imported tags ?

Adding or changing tags afterwards is not a problem, as inserting them from source is satisfactorily supported.

The whole idea of having the tags rule in the match algorithm looks rather dubious to me, but just having an extra command to perform the matching while completely ignoring the tags both in the segment and in the TM would IMHO be a nice feature.

Cheers,

Alexandre

[Edited at 2012-10-22 13:55 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
Nice (though typical) instance of broken matching algorithm in TS2009 Oct 22, 2012

However it was no better in previous versions of Trados, so this at least is not getting worse...

I think the screen captures speak by themselves.

I have minimum match values of 70 for "Translation" and 50 for "Concordance":

Nothing comes up in the editor for the following segment:

... See more
However it was no better in previous versions of Trados, so this at least is not getting worse...

I think the screen captures speak by themselves.

I have minimum match values of 70 for "Translation" and 50 for "Concordance":

Nothing comes up in the editor for the following segment:

Of course there is nothing in the translations results as well:

However, there is a concordance match of 93 % !

So what's the use of a CAT tool as sophisticated as Trados if it fails at basic things like this ?

Cheers,

Alexandre

[Edited at 2012-10-22 13:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-22 13:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-22 13:23 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
Lowering the minimum match does not help Oct 22, 2012

I have just set the minimum match value to 50% as well, and the 93% concordance match still does not show.

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
Now just the opposite: completely weird match Oct 22, 2012

Ain't it funny ?

Here is the explanation:

Why does the concordance window use different match values than the translation window ?

Regarding the tags, the concordance proves much more efficient because
... See more

Ain't it funny ?

Here is the explanation:

Why does the concordance window use different match values than the translation window ?

Regarding the tags, the concordance proves much more efficient because it does not mind if extra tags are found. A shortcut to paste the concordance could be handy.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Because they are not the same thing Oct 22, 2012

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

Regarding the tags, the concordance proves much more efficient because it does not mind if extra tags are found. A shortcut to paste the concordance could be handy.

Hi,

Concordance scoring works quite differently (by design) than normal fuzzy scoring, and both have nothing to do with each other.

If you search for a single word in concordance which is in the TM, you expect and get a 100% match. However, you usually don't get a 100% match for that search in normal search if the match segment contains additional words compared to the query. That illustrates the key difference in the scoring methods: concordance scoring is based on the words which are common between the match and the query, while normal scoring evaluates all words in the match against all words in the query (i.e. swapped, moved, missing, or inserted words will reduce the score). In concordance scoring, if the match contains all words which are in the query in the same order, you usually get a 100% match. Any words which are in the match but not in the query will not be penalised. You don't expect this behavior with a normal TM search.

On the shortcuts... take a look in the options. You can also right click in the concordance window to see what the specific shortcuts are. So for example you can do something like this if you love keyboard shortcuts:

F6 (to switch from target to source in the active segment)

ctrl+right arrow (to jump to the start of each word)
ctrl+shift+right arrow (Pick out the text you want to concordance on)

F3 (concordance from source to source... note you can do anything here from anywhere)

ctrl+tab (switch to the concordance window)

F6 (if you needed to switch source/target at this stage... I don't want to as I am in target)

ctrl+right arrow (to jump to the start of each word)
ctrl+shift+right arrow (Pick out the text you want to concordance on)

ctrl+alt+F3 (insert the selected text into the target segment)

Too much for my feeble brain to remember... but I've seen some people do this really successfully and quickly without ever leaving the keyboard.

Regards

Paul

Lake78
Lake78  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
Member (2014)
Romanian to English
+ ...
wrong tag inserted Dec 22, 2012

I have a TTX file made from an Excel file. I have the same problem, the program inserts the correct translation but not the correct tag. (how) can I fix this?
Win7 64bit, Trados 7 Freelancer (also getting the file parser dreaded error)

[Edited at 2012-12-22 13:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags in Trados 2009

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »