Thread poster: Anthony Green
Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:54
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but I've spent half an hour looking to no avail.
I have a text in Word copied and pasted from Freehand for Mac by a client.
I do not have a number of the fonts used, but we have agreed that I should convert everything to Times New Roman - the main thing is that I should respect the font size. The document starts in font size 12, switches immediately to 10, and then moves back and forwards between different sizes, all within Normal style.
... See more
Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but I've spent half an hour looking to no avail.
I have a text in Word copied and pasted from Freehand for Mac by a client.
I do not have a number of the fonts used, but we have agreed that I should convert everything to Times New Roman - the main thing is that I should respect the font size. The document starts in font size 12, switches immediately to 10, and then moves back and forwards between different sizes, all within Normal style.
The first sentence (size 12) is fine, but the second (size 10) being Normal style as well, is automatically converted to font size 12. There are so many combinations of sizes, that I can't even give styles to each.

I've tried stripping styles, but when I do that it changes font size 10 to 13 in places. Arrgghh!

Could I ask the client to do anything at their end or is there a solution I can manage?
Has anyone worked around this problem?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 26, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Have you checked the font and font size specified by the styles applied in the document? The chances of this being the source of your problem are pretty high...

This has also been discussed numerous times on TW_users, IIRC.

Best regards, Ralf

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't seem to be quite the same thing that has been discussed Mar 26, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...to Trados Support.

thanks, Ralf !

Have you checked the font and font size specified by the styles applied in the document? The chances of this being the source of your problem are pretty high...

Yes this is the source of the problem but not one that I can fix. In many cases the style is Normal, but being a document created in Freehand and not in Word, the font size varies within the style of each paragraph. So one line of Normal is size 10, the next 12, the next 13 etc.

This has also been discussed numerous times on TW_users, IIRC.

I did look for it in TW_users which I subscribe to, but for this level of complexity (Freehand + different font sizes within a style) it's a bit like looking for a pin in a haystack! I hope no-one will go out of their way to try to find it. As most of the text is 10 or 12, I'm going to suggest to the client to put everything into size 12 apart from anything which is bigger, which I can handle OK.
[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font sizes change in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »