FRA-MA
FRA-MA
Germany
Local time: 00:21
English to French
+ ...
Mar 29, 2004

Hi,

Is it possible to tell Trados TagEditor to always use the French quotation marks « ... » with a protected space character instead of the English ones?

I know how to set this in Word, but I don't know how to do this in TagEditors. Any experts around?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Céline

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It is. Mar 30, 2004

You have to use the corresponding character entities. Will look into that and write a brief how-to in an hour or so, when I have more time.
Meanwhile, what file format are you working on? Is it HTML? SGML? FrameMaker Tagged Text? Excel?...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 30, 2004

...to Trados Support.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Short rundown Mar 30, 2004

Alright, the prerequisite is that the « and » entities need to be defined in the DTD settings file you are using. In HTML4.ini, they are defined as laquo and raquo. You may need to experiment a bit to find them if you are working on another ML file format. For now, I will assume it is HTML you are working on.
To insert the entities, open the segment, place the cursor where you need them and use the Insert entity function in the edit menu to pick the entity you need.
If you are goin
... See more
Alright, the prerequisite is that the « and » entities need to be defined in the DTD settings file you are using. In HTML4.ini, they are defined as laquo and raquo. You may need to experiment a bit to find them if you are working on another ML file format. For now, I will assume it is HTML you are working on.
To insert the entities, open the segment, place the cursor where you need them and use the Insert entity function in the edit menu to pick the entity you need.
If you are going to be using that function a lot, it gets boring real quick to have to click through the menu every time.
Therefore, you can right-click the tag toolbar at the top of your screen, select Customise Tag Toolbar and use "Assign entity..." to assign the two quotation marks to the Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2 hotkeys (or any other hotkeys you like). The hotkeys are at the bottom of the list in that dialog, in case you're wondering.
The protected space can be inserted using Ctrl+Shift+Space in TagEditor, by the way.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2004-03-30 09:29]
Collapse

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
HTML format Mar 30, 2004

tectransDE wrote:
Meanwhile, what file format are you working on? Is it HTML? SGML? FrameMaker Tagged Text? Excel?...

We are working with HTML files. Thanks for your help!

[Edited at 2004-03-30 10:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to tell TagEditor to use « ... » instead of "..."

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »