Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:31
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 12, 2011

Good morning all,

I've been working on a fairly large project consisting mostly of XML files using TagEditor + Workbench. They had been running fine until last night, when Windows had downloaded updates in the background and prompted me to restart the computer for them to take effect. Fine, I thought, so I saved my work and restarted Windows. Now both TagEditor and Workbench are extremely slow to launch and do not respond to any clicking, cajoling or shouting for a long, long time.
... See more
Good morning all,

I've been working on a fairly large project consisting mostly of XML files using TagEditor + Workbench. They had been running fine until last night, when Windows had downloaded updates in the background and prompted me to restart the computer for them to take effect. Fine, I thought, so I saved my work and restarted Windows. Now both TagEditor and Workbench are extremely slow to launch and do not respond to any clicking, cajoling or shouting for a long, long time. Workbench is marginally better in that if I click a menu item, for example, the dropdown menu opens after 10 seconds or so. TagEditor, however, is unusable; it launches approximately 2 minutes after clicking the icon, opens the document then freezes completely. Sometimes I succeed in opening the first segment for translation 10 minutes after clicking the button.

Purely because of the timing of this incident I suspected something in Windows updates but have actually no idea how I can go about identifying the culprit. Windows is set to install updates automatically, so whatever was installed must have just been released by Microsoft yesterday. Even then there are quite a few updates, so I don't know which update is related to my problem, if at all.

Trados Synergy is running normally as is SDL Trados Studio 2009. I have repaired, uninstalled/installed Trados 2007 Freelance but to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this? My laptop is low-end but should be perfectly adequate for performing normal translation tasks (Lenovo G560 with Intel Core i3 @ 2.53 GHz and 3GB RAM). My project is fairly large but individual files are short so the demand on the memory should be limited. My software is up to date as far as I know:
Windows 64-bit Ultimate
SDL Trados Synergy 8.3.161.0
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance 8.3.863

Any tips will be greatly appreciated as I really need to get on with my job.

[Edited at 2011-05-12 08:42 GMT]
Collapse

Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
try to register May 12, 2011

Go to:

SDL International / SDL Trados 2007 / Trados / Register Trados 2007

This would be one of the first steps SDL support recommends in case of Windows updates which can affect the system registry.

Hope you find a solution.

NH

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Revert to previous system May 12, 2011

In Windows you can revert to some time in the past, so all changes after that will be nulled. But backup your files first!
My Vista was updated yesterday, but it had no effect on any application.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:31
German to Spanish
Could be that May 12, 2011

Some files have been caught in a loop and are still "running"

Close all applications and search for files starting with "~"

Delete all related files (without guarantee ).

Regards

[Edited at 2011-05-12 15:39 GMT]

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved (?) May 12, 2011

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately nothing seemed to work and after a few hours of failed troubleshooting I left the computer in despair. After dinner, once again in the office, I decided to give TagEditor another go, fully expecting it to hang as it did numerous times before. Well, I couldn't believe my eyes! It's all back to normal as if nothing had happened. Nothing was changed since the last failed attempt and the whole thing is entirely inexplicable!

Naturally I
... See more
Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately nothing seemed to work and after a few hours of failed troubleshooting I left the computer in despair. After dinner, once again in the office, I decided to give TagEditor another go, fully expecting it to hang as it did numerous times before. Well, I couldn't believe my eyes! It's all back to normal as if nothing had happened. Nothing was changed since the last failed attempt and the whole thing is entirely inexplicable!

Naturally I am relieved to have TE + Workbench working again but I live in fear as this could happen again (And I'm only 3 weeks into my 3-month-long project).

I will report back if I find anything new.

Thanks again, guys, for your advice.
Tomo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor and Workbench extremely slow after Windows Updates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »