Newcomer to Trados, just bought 6.5 FL. Spellcheck problem
Thread poster: Adam Thomson

Adam Thomson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2004

Like Haluk (in his posting next to this one) I have just bought Trados 6.5 Freelance. Maybe we have similar problems.

My problem is that with Trados installed, I cannot use my Word spellcheck at all. I get a "runtime error 5420" message. I also infer from the less-than-clear manual that this is because I am using Word 97. I think this means I have to upgrade to Word 2003, and that then the spellcheck will work.

Could somebody please confirm that this is indeed the situation - that the Word 97 spellcheck won't work with Trados 6.5 installed, but things should work with Word 2000 or later?

My guess is that this need to upgrade other programmes is behind Haluk's problem.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:13
English to German
+ ...
I doubt it Mar 31, 2004

Hi Adam,
I doubt that Office 97 is the issue here - in my experience, downward compatibility never was the issue (as opposed to using Word 2003 with T5.5, for example).

I suggest you submit an error report on the Trados Support website. Another good resource is the TW_users group.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Ralf´s advice Mar 31, 2004

But my experience with Word 97 is rather bad, so I would nevertheless advice you to upgrade to Word XP/2003 (you can sometimes purchase Office XP on eBay; it is original software for good conditions).

I do not know, which spellchecker you have installed, but it is possible, that the installation is corrupted. Maybe a new installation of Word 97 including the spellchecking would help.

Regards
Jerzy

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ralf, for your reply - but your links don't work. Mar 31, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Adam,
I doubt that Office 97 is the issue here - in my experience, downward compatibility never was the issue (as opposed to using Word 2003 with T5.5, for example).

I suggest you submit an error report on the Trados Support website. Another good resource is the TW_users group.

HTH, Ralf

Thank you Ralf for your input. First point: your links don't seem to work, at least directly - but I'll get there in the end.

Second point: I attach a passage from the Translator's Workbench pdf manual, which prompted my thoughts on this:

"SPELLING CHECKER PLUG-INS"

"TagEditor has two spelling checker plug-ins, allowing you to check the spelling of target text in your document. These are the WinterTree Spelling Checker and the Word Spelling Checker.

"WinterTree Spelling Checker – supports the following languages by default: Brazilian (Portuguese), Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French, German, Italian, Iberian Portuguese, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish.

"You can provide additional language
support by adding custom dictionaries to the default properties for this spelling checker.

"Word Spelling Checker – available only when Microsoft Word 2000 or higher is installed locally. You must configure the Word Spelling Checker in Word before using it in TagEditor.

"Language support corresponds to the language support that is available in your current installation of Word. The spelling checker plug-ins can be activated or deactivated as required from the Plug-ins dialog box in TagEditor."

(from page 295 of the manual).

I will certainly check with Trados directly - but I am still looking for any further feedback from you and others in this forum.

Thanks again for your reply.

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy for your input and your experience. Mar 31, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But my experience with Word 97 is rather bad, so I would nevertheless advice you to upgrade to Word XP/2003 (you can sometimes purchase Office XP on eBay; it is original software for good conditions).

I do not know, which spellchecker you have installed, but it is possible, that the installation is corrupted. Maybe a new installation of Word 97 including the spellchecking would help.

Regards
Jerzy

I am interested to hear of your experience with Word 97. Mine has been OK until I met this problem with Trados yesterday. I did in fact reinstall both Trados and Word 97 without any change - and then I saw the passage in the manual that I mention in my answer to Ralf.

I'll be tackling Trados directly on this, but I think the manual is pretty explicit.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
The links work for me...? Mar 31, 2004

Hi again, Adam,
Thank you Ralf for your input. First point: your links don't seem to work, at least directly - but I'll get there in the end.

Er... they do - just tested them myself...which browser are you using?

Here they are again:
support.trados.com/request.asp
groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

Second point: I attach a passage from the Translator's Workbench pdf manual, which prompted my thoughts on this:

"TagEditor has two spelling checker plug-ins, allowing you to check the spelling of target text in your document. These are the WinterTree Spelling Checker and the Word Spelling Checker.

I'm aware of that part - but this refers to TagEditor, whereas your point referred to working with Word97, right?

Best, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid we adressed different issues Mar 31, 2004

But first try this link:

http://support.trados.com

My experience with Word 97 was that it was extremly unstable, and my installation of Word 97 get corrupted after some time, I don´t know why.
The issue described in the manual refers not to Word, but to TAG Editor, a small Trados editor for working for example with html files. It can use Word spellchecker, but only from the version 2000 or above.
As far I understood, your problem is the spellchecker within Word, and that´s why I thought about reinstalling Word.

Sorry, but I have no solution to your problem.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2004-03-31 19:36]

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am using Explorer. I don't know enough about TagEditor etc. Mar 31, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again, Adam,

Er... they do - just tested them myself...which browser are you using?

Here they are again:
support.trados.com/request.asp
groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

OK - on links, they work when accessed from the ProZ forum page - but not when accessed from my email page. So apologies if I appeared to doubt your word.

I'm aware of that part - but this refers to TagEditor, whereas your point referred to working with Word97, right?

Best, Ralf

With my two full days of experience with Trados, I don't know enough about TagEditor and all that to know the difference - although the thought did also occur to me: whether there was a mode of operating within TagEditor, and a mode of operating outside TagEditor but still using Trados Workbench.

In any case - my Word 97 spellcheck works when I uninstall Trados, and doesn't when I install it.

I've now sent a message to the Trados Support lot.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor is for tagged file formats Mar 31, 2004

Hi again,

OK - on links, they work when accessed from the ProZ forum page - but not when accessed from my email page. So apologies if I appeared to doubt your word.

No problem at all - the links are designed to work in the forum rather than in the e-mail notification. (More info on the forum functions are here.)

With my two full days of experience with Trados, I don't know enough about TagEditor and all that to know the difference - although the thought did also occur to me: whether there was a mode of operating within TagEditor, and a mode of operating outside TagEditor but still using Trados Workbench.

TagEditor is the editor used for tagged file formats such as HTML, SGML, or XML - using special converters, TagEditor also handels Excel, Powerpoint, and a variety of DTP formats.

For Word files, however, you need to use Word, and the Trados functions integrated there.

To get a better overview, download the File Formats Reference Guide from the download section on www.translationzone.com.

In any case - my Word 97 spellcheck works when I uninstall Trados, and doesn't when I install it.

I know there are some issues involving the Word spellchecker, but I don't think this is specific to Word97 (IOW you might find the same behaviour under Word2k.)

I will point their attention to this thread as well.

Best, Ralf

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It would be good to get an answer from Trados support Apr 1, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

For Word files, however, you need to use Word, and the Trados functions integrated there.

To get a better overview, download the File Formats Reference Guide from the download section on www.translationzone.com.

I know there are some issues involving the Word spellchecker, but I don't think this is specific to Word97 (IOW you might find the same behaviour under Word2k.)

I will point their attention to this thread as well.

Best, Ralf

Thank you again, Ralf, for your help. It would be nice to get a clear answer from Trados on the Word spellchecker issue. Effectively, if I cannot use a spellchecker with Word with Trados installed, then I won't use Trados unless absolutely forced to.

I think it's ridiculous that for the money I spent on getting Trados, I get these serious problems. If this is indeed a problem (to be confirmed by Trados), then I wonder how they manage to be still in business...

I've now downloaded the Formats Guide.

Thanks again for your help.

(WordFast seems to work OK. And it was cheaper. What's the advantage of Trados, except that some clients seem to insist on it? Maybe this should be another stream.)

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Let's be reasonable... Apr 1, 2004

Hi again, Adam,
Thank you again, Ralf, for your help. It would be nice to get a clear answer from Trados on the Word spellchecker issue. Effectively, if I cannot use a spellchecker with Word with Trados installed, then I won't use Trados unless absolutely forced to.

I have been using Trados and Word 97 for several years, without any problems.

I think it's ridiculous that for the money I spent on getting Trados, I get these serious problems. If this is indeed a problem (to be confirmed by Trados), then I wonder how they manage to be still in business...

Now hang on a second: you said yourself that you only spent 2-3 days looking at what is a rather complex software package - yet you're pretty adamant that the problem is definitely with Trados?

(WordFast seems to work OK. And it was cheaper. What's the advantage of Trados, except that some clients seem to insist on it? Maybe this should be another stream.)

Indeed. This has been discussed in quite a number of threads already.

Best regards, Ralf

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am sure I've got a lot to learn - but I'd like Trados to respondd Apr 1, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again, Adam,

I have been using Trados and Word 97 for several years, without any problems.

Now hang on a second: you said yourself that you only spent 2-3 days looking at what is a rather complex software package - yet you're pretty adamant that the problem is definitely with Trados?

Indeed. This has been discussed in quite a number of threads already.

Best regards, Ralf

I certainly appreciate your perspective Ralf. All the more reason why I am very eager to hear what Trados has to say on this.

You may be right - there may be a problem with my particular configuration; there may be a problem with Word 97 as a particular build.

But I've been around enough to know that there are problems with Trados. Now that doesn't need to be a problem provided the Trados experts waste no time in dealing with each query.

And this is why I am anxious to hear from them.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trying to get in touch with you Apr 2, 2004

Adam,
I contacted you through your profile, trying to get your e-mail address, since I received an amended trados6.dot template which might solve your problem.

Can you please contact me through my profile?
Thanks, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Error message - contact your ISP Apr 2, 2004

Adam,
I responded to your message and received the following error message from your ISP:

"550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

I suggest you contact them to find out what's going on. In the meantime, can you send me a message via another account?

Thanks, Ralf

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I had trouble with Trados and Word 97 Apr 2, 2004

[quote]Adam Thomson wrote:

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Adam,

I had a bug with Trados 3 and Word 97 on a previous computer. If the spell-checker in Word queried anything I had written, and I wanted to correct it, I could not use the delete keys. I had to highlight the whole word and retype it. This was the case even when I was not using Trados, but I learned to live with it.

I'm afraid I am no great Trados fan - My employer insisted on it being there. But since I have been independent I have not yet succeeded in getting a job out of the system and cleaned up, so I only use it when I have time to do the job 'by hand' to be sure!! I'm still hoping it will work one day.

I have had better experience with an early Deja Vu version and a client's own CAT tool, which they use for some of their jobs. It's annoying after spending so much money on Trados, but that's life. I earn quite a reasonable living without it!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newcomer to Trados, just bought 6.5 FL. Spellcheck problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs