JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:01
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 23, 2011

(Actually, the error message says "an error occured"... but I can't post that on a translation site without being severely corrected!)

Anyway... the issue is that of late (last 3-4 weeks) Studio has started to complain increasingly about Word files. It allows me to add them to projects OK, but then when it comes to opening them I get the above message.

Previously I have been able to get around this where the file in question is a .docx by saving the file again in .doc
... See more
(Actually, the error message says "an error occured"... but I can't post that on a translation site without being severely corrected!)

Anyway... the issue is that of late (last 3-4 weeks) Studio has started to complain increasingly about Word files. It allows me to add them to projects OK, but then when it comes to opening them I get the above message.

Previously I have been able to get around this where the file in question is a .docx by saving the file again in .doc format. However, I have just had the error message from two files which I had already saved in .doc format (because of this problem).

Does anyone have any suggestions a) as to why this has begun happening and b) what I can do to fix it in this instance?

And finally, might this be to do with the fact that I am still grimly hanging on to Office Pro 2000? (It's going to have to go one day... sob.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jane
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Part of the answer May 23, 2011

I've worked out why it's happening regardless of the format - because this particular error is persistent, so once you have had it it's essential to shut down and restart Studio, otherwise it keeps recurring no matter what you have tried when preparing the files. Phew. At least that means I can translate the document I'm working on at present.

Would still like suggestions as to why it happens, though!

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 06:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2011

[Edited at 2011-06-21 17:23 GMT]

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 06:01
English to Russian
+ ...
same problem Jun 21, 2011

All of a sudden, I have this message: "failed to activate project (project name): an error occured whilst trying to determine the file version".

I got 12 pages from a very urgent assignment there. came back to finish and cannot open the project file. restarting Studio 2009 does not cure it. I have had the same problem several times before and each time had to start over again. don't have the time to do it today though. any idea how to restore the project file?

metafrasi.pl
metafrasi.pl
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
5 years later May 5, 2016

2016 and the same problem with Trados 2014. Thank you, the suggestion to restart worked.
Gotta love the simple, elegant solutions to Trados issues, though ; )))

Tung Nguyen
Tung Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 10:01
Member (2011)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Another workaround Jul 4, 2016

Same problem for me today in a review project with a lot of Trackchanges.

Here's another solution in this case. Create a new same project, remove it from the project list of Studio, copy the .sdlxliff file in the target folder of the old project folder to that of the new one, open the this new project again (.sdlproj file) and all changes come back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »