Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
May 26, 2011

It is for some time I get an error message when I copy any tags to the target in SDL Trados 2009, and I have tried different ways such as quick place or just copy and paste but the problem now makes Trados to stop working and do not respond at all after giving an error message:

ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object. - System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms - etc...
After that I cannot even close the application by anyway except through Task Manager.
It is worth mentioning that I dealt with the same tags before and I did not have such an issue in the past. It is now with all kinds of tags not only special ones, as I have seen in replies to some previous topics about this issue.
Any suggestions please.
Thank you.

[Edited at 2011-05-26 11:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

amurati
Local time: 23:43
English to Albanian
+ ...
hello May 26, 2011

Can you copy here the complete text from the exception has occurred.
I am software developer and using such data you can't get precise answer if you don't give full text of the exception.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here you are May 26, 2011

- Object reference not set to an instance of an object. - System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms -
c__DisplayClass2.b__0() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]>
- SDL Trados Studio 9.1.0.0 9.1.2276.5 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate NULL 1033 1252 ParsendowTrans\Parsendow Trans 2.0.50727.4959 PARSENDOWTRANS True 6290724 MB

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Install the latest update or run a Repair May 27, 2011

Seems like something is screwed up in your configuration, so I suggest that you install the latest update to the software or - if you already have the very latest build - run a Repair of your installation. Chances are that this will fix the problem.

And a hint: you mention copying + pasting tags. I hope you know that this is normally not necessary anymore in Studio as there are inbuilt functions to transfer tags (CTRL-comma or CTRL-mouse click), which are much more comfortable and safer that manually copying tags.

Walter

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have tried that May 27, 2011

Thank you I have tried that and I shall see if that helps in the next few days.
Thank you for your advice.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The repair does not work May 27, 2011

The repair does not work but I may consider and uninstalla nd reinstalling the programe.
If that works or not.
Thank you

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing and reinstalling did not work May 28, 2011

Hi Walter,
I have tried the uninstall and reinstall seevrla times until it says it was successfulhoweevr when I opened Trados Stdio 2009 I got the same error message; the details are as follows:

- Unexpected exception when initializing view part Messages - Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888 Sdl.Desktop.Platform -
c__DisplayClass2.b__0() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]>
- System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms -

- SDL Trados Studio 9.1.0.0 9.1.2276.5 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate NULL 1033 1252 ParsendowTrans\Parsendow Trans 2.0.50727.4959 PARSENDOWTRANS True 6290724 MB

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have tried different tricks May 29, 2011

I have tried different otehr tricks such as repairing files from Microsoft, suggested by Trados for help with safe installation and disabling some Java allpications and disabling windos protection and deleting temporary files, but the result was the same.
Thank you for your help and suggestions in this regard.

[Edited at 2011-05-29 00:04 GMT]

SDL Support  Identity Verified
English
Try deleting these files and restarting May 29, 2011

Hi Ata,

Can you try deleting the following files in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated when you restart and it may help.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot find those files under Roaming May 29, 2011

I tried that as well, I reached Roaming but SDL is not there at all.
thank you

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found them and delete them May 29, 2011

I trie dthat as well and let me see the result.
I just wanted to inform you that I found the files.
Thank you

English
Try making sure that... May 29, 2011

.... you can see all hidden files and folders. In W7 you do this like this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you the problem resolved May 29, 2011

Thank you very much Paul, it looks like deleting the files resolved the problem. As after opening the Studio and trying a tag I did not see the error message again. Hopefully I will never see it again!
Kindest regards,
Ata

English
If you still have a problem... May 29, 2011

... use the Solution Finder:

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download and Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2009.
--- I receive an error message that is different from the ones listed here.
---- I deleted the three files, but I still get an error message.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day (from Monday)

I hope this helps. I'm off line now so won't pick up your response till Monday.

Regards

Paul

English
Oh good... May 29, 2011

... looks like our mails crossed.

Glad you're sorted.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014
Save time by automatically extracting terms. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014 allows you to automatically create candidate term lists from your existing documentation. This removes the manual effort involved with traditional terminology creation, allowing you to rapidly add terms to SDL MultiTerm.

More info »