Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2004

I have 2 urgent texts to get in for tomorrow, and have managed to lose my Word toolbars, crucial for editing, as I know and use very few keyboard commands.

It happened becuase I lost an EOS tag in a footnote. Trados was opening my footnotes in a separate document, and when editing I lost a tag. I therefore could not close the TW4Win text, which sort of transfers all toolbars from the main Word text to this supplementary page. So I saved it to desktop, closed the main text, and close
... See more
I have 2 urgent texts to get in for tomorrow, and have managed to lose my Word toolbars, crucial for editing, as I know and use very few keyboard commands.

It happened becuase I lost an EOS tag in a footnote. Trados was opening my footnotes in a separate document, and when editing I lost a tag. I therefore could not close the TW4Win text, which sort of transfers all toolbars from the main Word text to this supplementary page. So I saved it to desktop, closed the main text, and closed down hoping the problem would go away.

No go, I have even closed the memory but now all documents I open in Word are tollbar-less so I can't do a thing with ANY text. I have tried right-clicking to reselect the toolbars but to no avail.

I need a quick solution, at this stage the memory is not a priority. I just need my toolbars back, and urgently!
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
German to English
Shut the computer down Apr 4, 2004

have a cup of coffee and then restart! Whatever you have done will probalby correct itself by shutting down the pc - and the coffee might just help you too! I find that when the technology is going crazy sometimes you just have to give in, switch off and do something else so that your own brain calms down.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Read this article Apr 4, 2004

It helps, but be carefull, working with registry may damage the system.

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=762

Recently it helped my friend in similar situation, so I hope it will do for you too.

Good luck
Regards
Jerzy

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeeessssssssssssss! Apr 4, 2004

Jerzcy, seems to have worked:-)

T_H_A_N_K_S!!!!! You have saved my life:-)

Should also say, thanks to bothe for being so quick to respond, and thanks for suggestion of a break (a very rational way to deal with crises!)

[Edited at 2004-04-05 00:24]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Glad it helped Apr 4, 2004

and moving the thread to Trados Support, should someone encouter this problem in the future...

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Panic - Trados has disappeared my toolbars

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »