Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Trados 6.5 - how necessary is it for someone beginning in the field?
Thread poster: Greenwood
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:27
English to German
+ ...
A few corrections, if I may Apr 9, 2004

Hi Harvetta,
There are two parts to Trados: (1) the workstation, which stores repetitions;

That's true, but only part of the story: Workbench works with Translation Memories, which are sentence databases. This does not require a 100% repetition to benefit from an earlier translation, but also includes fuzzy search functionality.

and (2) Multiterm. With Multiterm, I believe there are some free files, not to download, but to use directly from a website.

MultiTerm Online is available to anyone.

Also with Multiterm, the user can connect to a website for a translation agency's database or databases created by another translator in collaboration.

That requires MultiTerm Server, which in turn requires an SQL Server license: only likely with very large entities.

With Termbase, with Multiterm, the user can import his or her own glossaries in two different formats, but the original glossaries must be in XML format.

Although MTiX (a.k.a MultiTerm Workstation is indeed XML-based and requires an XML import file, a utility called MultiTerm Convert is part of the package, which allows you to convert Excel files, for instance.

Best regards, Ralf

Harvetta Asamoah
Harvetta Asamoah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
French to English
+ ...
Thank-You, Ralf Apr 9, 2004

Thanks for the clarifications.

Kurt Hammond
Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:27
Japanese to English
I got it. Apr 26, 2004

Greenwood wrote:

I am new to the worlds of both translation and computers. I see many references to Trados 6.5. I understand only that this is a translation tool program. How necessary is it for someone beginning in the field? I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me the basic functions of this program.

I was torn whether to get Trados or some other CAT tool. Then I was approached by an agency who was really interested in giving me a job but that job required Trados.
Since I was considering it anyway I went ahead and took the plunge. Over the next 2 weeks I got a total of USD3000 worth of translation work from this agency which required Trados, so I recovered the costs less than a month after I purchased it.
It has been useful for my other jobs as well in improving quality.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 - how necessary is it for someone beginning in the field?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »