importing a TM in Excel format
Thread poster: xxxtazdog
xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 12:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2004

I've been sent a TM in Excel format for a document I have to translate. I'm not sure how to import this (I don't have much experience with Trados, and have only imported .txt files). I am using Trados 6.0.

Another question with the same Excel TM is that it has English as the source and Spanish as the target, and I work in the opposite direction. Will it still help me, or do I have to change it around (and how)?

I'm really not sure what I have to do in order to be able to use the TM I was sent, so any help would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
I use tricks for import... Apr 7, 2004

I don't think Trados allows import of Excel files directly as TM... However, there are some tricks I use.

One, the easiest one, would be to separate the two columns into two documents, align them with WinAlign and import into your TM. Also, if you make those two files, you can use them respectively as a source file and target file in an Excel T-Window (you need to specify "dummy" files first).

If you can handle text replacing easily, export the sheet to a text document (use a unique separator, for example #). Then you need to replace the separator with appropriate tags for Trados import. An example:

source cell 1#target cell 1
source cell 2#target cell 2

Replace end of lines with \EOLEOL
Then replace # with EOL so you get:

source cell 1
source cell 1

source cell 2
source cell 2

It looks more scary than it is, really...

Concerning the languages: you can import only to an existing TM, so you specify a direction there. (This information is important, as you can you export and then import functions to switch the direction of a TM.) Then you import prepared text files, either from WinAlign or from the conversion I described above, and you're set.

I've just realized I have allowed too much techno babble in, so feel free to ask, I will explain the method you choose step by step and in detail.

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:17]

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Excel / Trados Apr 7, 2004

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I've been sent a TM in Excel format for a document I have to translate. I'm not sure how to import this (I don't have much experience with Trados, and have only imported .txt files). I am using Trados 6.0.

Another question with the same Excel TM is that it has English as the source and Spanish as the target, and I work in the opposite direction. Will it still help me, or do I have to change it around (and how)?

I'm really not sure what I have to do in order to be able to use the TM I was sent, so any help would be appreciated.

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Hi Cindy Apr 7, 2004

I'm not sure you can use the Excel file as a TM in Trados, at least not as far as I know. Are you sure it is not simply a glossary that your client has sent you? If it is, you can easily import it into Trados MultiTerm using the MultiTerm convert wizard. This will give you a terminology database (dictionary), but you may have to create a new TM from scratch. It might be worth looking at the data in the Excel file to see whether you have full sentences or just terms with TL equivalents, then contacting your client to see whether they can give you any more data or any further clarification. Hope this is some help, good luck, Paul.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
My way Apr 7, 2004

1 change the order of columns
2 save it as txt (Tab delimited)
3 open it in Word
4 replace (search-replace) all Tabs with:
(hier should appear the trados tag that delimited a segment and his translation but cause html is no possible ;(
5 at the biginning put:
{0>
6 at the end:
the same but the other way around
and save it as a doc

7 in Workbench open a new, or the TM you wish,
8 clean the doc

Ready

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:18]

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:18]

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:19]

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:23]

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:25]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
If needed Apr 7, 2004

The Tab symbol is:
^t

Saludos
Toledo

mrippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Use these wonderful macros Apr 7, 2004

Hi Cindy,
are you sure that the supplied Excel file should be imported in the Workbench and not in the Multiterm? Anyway the simplest way for converting Excel files in .txt files for the workbench or in multiterm files is to use two great macros developed by Sergei Mouraviev and available for free on the TW user list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/
After registerig to the group, go to the Files area, then choose Macros -> Macros from Users -> Converter.zip. Download the zip file and unzip it, then open the Twb macro (or the multiterm macro if you choose to import the file in multiterm), be sure to select Enable Macros from the dialog that should appear, then open your file and from the Excel toolbar choose Tools -> Export to TWB (or Export to Multiterm). It's more simple to do it then to read it. It works like a charm! Not sure if you have to change the order of the columns/languages: just try it, it's very simple and fast.

Massimo

[Edited at 2004-04-07 22:45]

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks! Apr 8, 2004

Thank you all for your ideas and advice. A couple of you asked whether it was a glossary; no, it wasn't, it had two columns, one with the source segments and the other with the target segments.

I had sent the client an e-mail at the same time as I posted this, asking if I could get the TM in .txt format, and fortunately, he received it in time (i.e., before the start of the Easter holidays here) to send it to me--which means that I didn't have to do any conversions. However, I have saved all of your explanations for future reference, and when I have a bit of time, I will experiment with them. I have also signed up on the TW users list (thanks, Massimo), so maybe I'll absorb some knowledge from that as well.

Thank you all again for your help.
Cindy

Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
Italian to English
macro works like a charm Apr 15, 2010

Thank you Massimo and Sergei!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alternative solution Apr 15, 2010

I see this has been solved, so just for the record: you could use my TMX creator which gives you a bit more power, convenience and flexibility than other solutions, with the possible exception of the macro (which I never tested).

It's a windows batch file that creates a TMX from a tab separated file. Copy your two columns in Excel, paste into a text editor, save as UTF-8 txt and run the script. You can specify the creator ID (i.e. translator name) you wish to be recorded in the TM, as well as the creation date and any note you wish to add to the segments, such as the title of the source document. You can also put text in the third column of the Excel table and use that as a note, which allows you to add different notes to the various parts of the table. You can also specify the exact language codes you want to use (EN-GB, EN-US etc.)
Then just import the TMX to your CAT of choice.

DL:
sourceforge.net/projects/aligner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing a TM in Excel format

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs