Mobile menu

Need to add more language combinations after Trados preinstallation
Thread poster: Silvina

Local time: 00:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2004

How should I select new languages in Trados already installed?

I have to analyse an EN - FR Trados memory but last year when I installed the software, I did not select this combination. When I try to open such memory it says:
"The Translation memory cannot be accessed because it uses languages which were not selected during installation".

So, the query: which is the step to follow? I tried with the Trados Installation CD but it seems that thw whole program is reinstalled and I just want to add this language combination, among others.

Any advice, suggestion, please?

Thanks so much in advance!

Silvina Sorribas

Direct link Reply with quote
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reinstall Apr 15, 2004

You need to reinstall Trados and select any languages you expect to use. Translation memories will not be affected by reinstallation.

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use another combination Apr 15, 2004

I had the same problem myself, with Norwegian-Swedish, and unfortunately you will have to reinstall Trados and select all the combinations you need again. BUT there is a way.
As you already have English (which contains a lot of varieties, Belize, Jamaica, etc) you could substitute French for one of your target combinations that you don't think you will use as Trados does not recognize a language as such.
Ie select New and choose your combination English and for French, select one of the other English languages for ex. English Jamaica.
Start translating but remember that that is where your English-French memory is!

Of course, if you will continue with French it may be just as well to reinstall Trados, or if you want to reinstall later, just export the "Eng-French" memory and import it again under the right lang. combination when you have reinstalled Trados in the future.

Best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to add more language combinations after Trados preinstallation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs