Thread poster: SandraV

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:05
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2004

First of all, let me tell you that I already sent a support request to the Trados page, but I have not received any response yet.The problem is:
Problem Summary: 1. Windows ME crashes completely

Problem description: The system sends various failure messages and crashes.
Steps to reproduce the problem: White letters on blue screen saying something like: Protection Error, you must restart, as it won't restart I have to turn off the computer.
After turning the pc again a message appears in white letters on black screen: "There is not enough extended memory to start Windows". Another message will apear also in white letters on black scren:"An incorrect call from a dynamic VxD has been made to dispositive number 40, service 800 D. Windows Configuration is Incorrect. Execute Windows Instalation program to correct it. System stopped.

This has been happening again and again ever since I installed Trados6.5.

Notes: By now, I have formatted my hard disk and installed Windows and Trados again three times, but the problem continues. I am not able to take jobs that require Trados, not even start to learn how it works (and it seems really cmplecated) because of this problem.

Please, can someone help me with this?
Has anyone had the same problem? I really have regrets about having bought Trados software. For the price I paid for it, I would have expected something with no problems at all, and of course, a good technical support directly from the provider.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:05
English to German
+ ...
Windows ME is most likely the problem... Apr 28, 2004

Hi Sandra,
I fear Windows ME may well be the problem here. (I'm sure you noted the System Requirements, where Trados state that Windows XP or Windows 2000 are recommended - there are reasons for this: Win98 and WinME have a long history of stability problems - I wouldn't use any of them on a machine used for my business.)

Since you reinstalled your OS, did it run before you reinstalled Trados? How much RAM does your system have?

Best regards, Ralf

Jordane Boury  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same experience, unfortunately... Apr 29, 2004

Sandra wrote:

Problem Summary: 1. Windows ME crashes completely

Hi Sandra,

I just had to de-install Trados from Windows ME for the same reasons as the ones you are describing here.
I was using Windows 98 so far, but was recently advised by a friend to move to ME (the most stable among the newest OS according to him!!!) as "many new programs were not designed for 98 anymore" (would Trados be the exception then? ;-/ ).
Actually, I find it awful as for stability!

My conclusion : I guess we have to choose between having ME or Trados...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use WinXP or Win2k Apr 29, 2004

Hi Jordane,
I was using Windows 98 so far, but was recently advised by a friend to move to ME (the most stable among the newest OS according to him!!!)

I don't think so... with one single exception (that machine is used for testing), all my computers run Windows 2000 - no problem with Trados whatsoever.

as "many new programs were not designed for 98 anymore" (would Trados be the exception then? ;-/ ).

I guess there's a reason for Trados' recommendation...

Best, Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
A few thoughts Apr 29, 2004

I had been using Windows ME and Trados Freelance 5.5 without any problems, but it's true that Windows ME is one of the most unstable versions of Windows. I recommend upgrading to Windows XP, if your computer is powerful enough.

The following Trados Knowledge Base article could be related to your problem:
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1261

It could be also problem with the dongle driver or maybe with your hardware (USB).

Windows ME is full of bugs, for example, it's easy to infect it with a virus from the Internet without you doing anything. It happened to me. So you should download and install all the patches from Windows Update Catalog:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Windows Update Catalog allows you to download the patches and keep them on your disk or burn them on a CD and use again later. (You should burn them to have them available in case you had to reinstall Windows ME again.)

You can also post your question to the tw_users group at Yahoo. Or wait for answer from Trados.

[Edited at 2004-04-29 12:57]

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:05
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 1, 2004

Ralf, Jordane,Hynek: Thank you very much for your kind replies!
Sandy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and Windows ME a big problem!!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs