Trados Studio 2011 - download ok, bilingual word files
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
German to English
Sep 7, 2011

Having just got hold of the 2011 upgrade via the Early Access programme, I'm pleased to say the download and install was surprisingly painless!

Here's probably the most important info that freelancers need - how to deliver a bilingual W
... See more
Having just got hold of the 2011 upgrade via the Early Access programme, I'm pleased to say the download and install was surprisingly painless!

Here's probably the most important info that freelancers need - how to deliver a bilingual Word doc and upgrade old TMs:

http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/07/studio-2011-series-the-return-of-the-bilingual-word-filetype.html

I haven't actually used it yet but so far so good.
Gillian
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:34
English to Turkish
+ ...
Problem with installation Sep 7, 2011

I did have problem with installation (as usual)!

It was a Microsoft .NET Framework 4 error. Studio 2011 installer failed to install it but it was already installed, even checked with Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility.

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
workbench Sep 7, 2011

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for the provided link. Actually I thought that Studio 2011 will completely handle the bilingual doc files by itself, but as I see from the blogpost the Trados 2007 workbech is still necessary for segmenting the document, and for updating the clients Trados 2007 TM. So I am curious if after upgrade to Studio 2011 from Studio 2009 it will be allowed to keep the Trados 2007 that is included into the Studio 2009 package?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
English
Can we see the logfiles? Sep 7, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I did have problem with installation (as usual)!

It was a Microsoft .NET Framework 4 error. Studio 2011 installer failed to install it but it was already installed, even checked with Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility.

Hi Selcuk,

This is an error message we have not seen yet so I wonder if you would able to let me have a copy of your log files from the installation?

You can find them in here:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL\Chainer\Logs
Vista/7: C:\Program Data\SDL\Chainer\Logs

If they are too large to email I can give you an ftp?

Thank you

Paul

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
2007, 2009 and 2011 Sep 7, 2011

They are all installed and running on my PC. I don't know if 2007 is bundled with 2011 because I already have it on my PC anyway. I don't know what happens if I delete 2009 - which I am certainly not going to do yet. I opened a 2009 file in 2011, saved it in 2011 and tried to open it in 2009 - didn't work so 2011 sdl xliff is not backward compatible with 2009.

Trying to think about the scenario, if your customer insists on Word + WB then wouldn't they be able to deliver you a file w
... See more
They are all installed and running on my PC. I don't know if 2007 is bundled with 2011 because I already have it on my PC anyway. I don't know what happens if I delete 2009 - which I am certainly not going to do yet. I opened a 2009 file in 2011, saved it in 2011 and tried to open it in 2009 - didn't work so 2011 sdl xliff is not backward compatible with 2009.

Trying to think about the scenario, if your customer insists on Word + WB then wouldn't they be able to deliver you a file with the appropriate segmentation anyway?

Gillian
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Of course... Sep 7, 2011

Myron Netchypor wrote:

So I am curious if after upgrade to Studio 2011 from Studio 2009 it will be allowed to keep the Trados 2007 that is included into the Studio 2009 package?

You own this and we won't ask you to return the license.

Regards

Paul

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
log files Sep 7, 2011

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I cannot send them, I have already uninstalled Studio 2011 and cleaned my system. Similar problems occurred when beta testing Studio 2009, but I never experience such problems when installing/updating other CAT tools.

FWIW, I use Windows XP Pro SP3 (English) with all updates.

Selcuk

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Compatibility Sep 7, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

Trying to think about the scenario, if your customer insists on Word + WB then wouldn't they be able to deliver you a file with the appropriate segmentation anyway?

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

SDLTMs and SDLXLIFF files are compatible between the 2009 and 2011 version. We have had Beta Testers doing production work from 2009 packages (before we added the compatibility options into the product) sent to them and then translating the SDLXLIFF files in 2011 and putting them back into the 2009 project afterwards.

The things to watch for are:

If you use track changes in 2011 then the track changes will just be ignored in 2009 as the Editor won't support them. You won't lose them, they are preserved and simply not used.

If you create an SDLXLIFF in 2009 then you can translate in 2011 but you can only get the target file out in 2009. Similarly if you create the SDLXLIFF in 2011 then you can translate in 2009 but you can only get the target file out in 2011. This is because the filetypes have received a major overhaul, almost every one is different.

I don't know what happenned for you, but I'd be happy to test the same file with you if you like?

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok... Sep 7, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Unfortunately I cannot send them, I have already uninstalled Studio 2011 and cleaned my system.

Well if you find the time and inclination to try again please let me know and we can take a look if the problem occurs again.

Regards

Paul

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
compatibility Sep 7, 2011

I took a sdl xliff file that I had created in 2009 from a TTX and opened it, saved it in 2011, then tried to open it in 2009. That didn't work.
Gillian

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
compatibility - my problem Sep 7, 2011

Paul tested it and it worked on his - so I tested it and it worked on mine. I don't know why it didn't work first time!
Gillian

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
I had something similar, though no error Sep 7, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

As you can see from my Windows update history, I had to reinstall a couple of .NET Framework 4 updates (KB2533523 and KB2468871) after installing Studio 2011 on 31-Aug:

http://screencast.com/t/DNw0dmlG

These .NET Framework 4 updates had been applied on my system already a couple of weeks earlier, but the install package of Studio 2011 installed older stuff on top of the newer one. However, I was able to reapply them via Windows update, and Studio 2011 hasn't seemed to complain about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 - download ok, bilingual word files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »