Assuming you have prepared both Trados and Word to work together, you can start the translation process by first organizing your word files. This is what I usually do. You can do the same or follow your own design:
1- I open a new folder for the project.
2- Inside the new folder I open two separate folders
a- Source file - I copy the original file here.
b- Target file - I open the source file and resave it as RTF in the target folder which can be handled easily by Trados.
Why for God´s sake this? If it is Word document, leave the format as it is. Other source files come as rtf, if they can be processed with Word (ie. exported Framemaker files), so there is no need to resave them as RTF.
Using story collectors you´ll get file formats, which have to be processes with TAG Editor. Then there are some T-Windows for various file types. On top you can process Excel and Powerpoint directly in TAG Editor.
The best you can do is to take some look in the manuals and download tutorials from www.translationzone.com
7. Then I click on the red open bracked and downward black arrow (Open/Get)
8. Trados will open the first text segment for translating into Arabic. It will also open a blank window to type in the Arabic translation.
9. After translating the segment and making sure of its correctness, I would select (Up and down arrow between the two red brackets) (Set/close next Open/get). This will save the translated segment and open a new segment for translation.
10. I will repeat step 9 until all the segments are translated.
11. What you get is the bilingual file (English/Arabic).
12. The last step is to clean the file using Trados cleaning
Use keyboard commands instead of mouse; ie ALT+HOME to start translating or ALT+(NUM+) to close and save segment and open the next one. You will be faster and this is more easy as using the mouse.
After opening the segment you can get a blank line, you can set Trados to copy source on no match (very usefull) or - if there is one - a match showing in your line and waiting to be adapted to the new source.
And you do not necesarilly need to clean up Word files in the Workbench. Sometimes it is advisable to clean up in Word.
All other kind of files do not need to be cleaned at all.