https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/21069-problems_with_trados_workbench_and_word.html

Problems with Trados Workbench and Word
Thread poster: Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 9, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I have a problem when trying to run Trados Workbench in a 60 page Word document. The memory does not run in specific sections of the document and cannot open translation segments. Then I have to close the memory and Word to restart translating since these do not respond. This happens with any TM I apply to the document, and in the same sections (quite a lot), just in that document, and I have to use the TM since it is very technical. The document has a table of cont
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have a problem when trying to run Trados Workbench in a 60 page Word document. The memory does not run in specific sections of the document and cannot open translation segments. Then I have to close the memory and Word to restart translating since these do not respond. This happens with any TM I apply to the document, and in the same sections (quite a lot), just in that document, and I have to use the TM since it is very technical. The document has a table of contents with cross-references to headlines. I have tried everything, but I cannot solve it. What do you suggest me to do?

I will appreciate any help you could provide,

Regards,
Blanca.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 22:17]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:50
German to Spanish
Sometimes help... May 9, 2004

Try "Save as" (not "save") and rewrite the doc whenever it goes slow.
It can help sometimes but I think what you need is more RAM.

CU

Toledo

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bookmark Handler? May 9, 2004

Hi Blanca,
Can you please tell us which versions of Trados and Word you're using?

If you're trying to translate a ToC that was created automatically (sounds like it, from your description), forget it: translate the headlines and update the ToC after cleanup (be careful if you don't have the document template used to create the source document, as a ToC with special formatting might be damaged unless you have the proper .dot file - this is a Word issue, nothing to do with Trado
... See more
Hi Blanca,

If you're trying to translate a ToC that was created automatically (sounds like it, from your description), forget it: translate the headlines and update the ToC after cleanup (be careful if you don't have the document template used to create the source document, as a ToC with special formatting might be damaged unless you have the proper .dot file - this is a Word issue, nothing to do with Trados, BTW).

If the document contains cross-references, you should use the BookmarkHandler macro provided by Trados; this macro changes hidden bookmarks to tags. I need to know your Trados version to give you more info on where you can find the macro.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 5.0/Word 97 May 9, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Blanca,

If you're trying to translate a ToC that was created automatically (sounds like it, from your description), forget it: translate the headlines and update the ToC after cleanup (be careful if you don't have the document template used to create the source document, as a ToC with special formatting might be damaged unless you have the proper .dot file - this is a Word issue, nothing to do with Trados, BTW).

If the document contains cross-references, you should use the BookmarkHandler macro provided by Trados; this macro changes hidden bookmarks to tags. I need to know your Trados version to give you more info on where you can find the macro.

Best regards, Ralf

I'm using Trados 5.0 and Word 97. Yes, it is a ToC automatically generated. But the problem comes when I try to translate some sentences in the body of the document, not specifically the headlines. I really don't know what to do because I cannot identify what is causing this problem.

Thanks a lot,
Blanca.

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:50
English to Russian
+ ...
I have similar problem too May 10, 2004

I collided with the similar problem some days ago. Very big file with markup. Word 2000 restart after opening TU or after simple correction (e.g. corection of one letter in translated text). With other files Word-Trados work perfectly. Difference between my problem file and other files (as I think)- in this file occure markup on 3d language (english, russian and one more language).

I solve this problem with TagEditor. Tag editor read source rtf file and you can save your target tra
... See more
I collided with the similar problem some days ago. Very big file with markup. Word 2000 restart after opening TU or after simple correction (e.g. corection of one letter in translated text). With other files Word-Trados work perfectly. Difference between my problem file and other files (as I think)- in this file occure markup on 3d language (english, russian and one more language).

I solve this problem with TagEditor. Tag editor read source rtf file and you can save your target translation as rtf-file and bilingual as rtf.ttx.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can you check for field codes? What happens? May 10, 2004

Hi Blanca,

I'm using Trados 5.0 and Word 97.

Do you know which Word version was used to create the document?

Yes, it is a ToC automatically generated. But the problem comes when I try to translate some sentences in the body of the document, not specifically the headlines.

Can you check if these sentences contain cross-references (make field codes visible via Alt+F9)?

Best, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't use Word revision marking when working with Trados May 10, 2004

Hi Victor,
Very big file with markup.

Word revision marking and Trados don't go together - before working with TW on Word documents, make sure that all markups are accepted and revision marking is turned off.

Best regards, Ralf

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:50
English to Russian
+ ...
No revision marks May 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

before working with TW on Word documents, make sure that all markups are accepted and revision marking is turned off.

Thank you, Ralf, but I mean not revision marks. This is markup for html formatting, I think. I have in this project 5 files and only 2 files creates a such problem with Word.

[Edited at 2004-05-10 11:40]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ouch - don't use Word for HTML... May 10, 2004

Sorry, I misunderstood you...

Thank you, Ralf, but I mean not revision marks. This is markup for html formatting, I think. I have in this project 5 files and only 2 files creates a such problem with Word.

Well, thing is - whatever any MS marketing text would like to make you believe: Word is not an HTML editor... so you were right to use TagEditor.

Cheers, Ralf

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error 1442975640 May 10, 2004

Hi,

Now I get the following message from the TM: (1442975640: invalid rtf format).

Any idea?

Regards!!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your document needs to be checked... May 10, 2004

...there's no way to tell, without checking the document, where exactly the problem is (that's why I asked about the document size when responding to your private message...).

The document might contain hidden bookmarks, which can create all sorts of problems (again, this is a Word problem); another cause of the problem might be that you're using a rather old version of Word - although the file format wasn't changed in Word 2000, XP or 2003, some functions were added which Word 97 m
... See more
...there's no way to tell, without checking the document, where exactly the problem is (that's why I asked about the document size when responding to your private message...).

The document might contain hidden bookmarks, which can create all sorts of problems (again, this is a Word problem); another cause of the problem might be that you're using a rather old version of Word - although the file format wasn't changed in Word 2000, XP or 2003, some functions were added which Word 97 might be unable to handle. Can you save the document as RTF?

Another possibility (which may or may not be related to the issues I just touched upon) is that your TM is corrupt: to make sure this isn't the case, export the TM, create a new one, import it and reorganise.

I can have a look at the document, but please contact me beforehand if the zipped document is larger than 1MB.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados Workbench and Word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »