Thread poster: margarete

margarete  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:59
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2004

Hi,

I have Trados Freelance 6.5 and this is only my third time working with Tag editor.

I am working on a larger file with an extensive TM (lot's of 100% matches).

The problem I am running into is that the whole thing is incredibly slow. When translating to fuzzy each segment takes forever and even opening/setting a new segment is terribly slow.

Is there any way to deal with this? Any tips? Am I doing something wrong?

I am running WinXP and have a pretty fast computer and usually never experience any speed issues.

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:59
English to German
+ ...
Which version? May 21, 2004

Hi Ariane,
Which version of T6.5 FL do you have? We need the exact version (check the Help - About... entry for the Build no..

Earlier versions of TagEditor 6.5 had performance problems - it's strongly recommended to use version 6.5.2.417 (Build 417).

HTH, Ralf

United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I have May 21, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Yes, I have the newest version 6.5.2.417

Is it normal for Tag editor to run slowly when working with larger files? (This one is about 10.000 words.)

It is one of three parts, do I imagine the TM is rather large too.

Thanks
Ariane

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Size shouldn't be an issue May 21, 2004

Hi again,
Is it normal for Tag editor to run slowly when working with larger files? (This one is about 10.000 words.)

Not as far as I'm aware of - I use TagEditor regularly, most recently with entire annual reports, without any problems.

It is one of three parts, do I imagine the TM is rather large too.

That shouldn't be an issue either.

Which source format is the file you're working on?
Does the problem also occur when you deactivate term recognition?

Best regards, Ralf

United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received TTX May 21, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I am not sure what the original format is. It is a user manual.
I only received the bilingual TTX and am also supposed to deliver it as such.

Term Recognition is already disabled because there is no database.

I worked on another (smaller) file two days ago and had no such problems. The thing is that this is really slowing me down as I spend much time twiddling my thumbs while I wait for Tag Editor to find the next fuzzy. I am worried about making my deadline.

Any other suggestions. Could I have some incorrect settings or something?

Thanks for all your help!
Ariane

Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:59
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, it's happen May 21, 2004

Ariane Mertz wrote:

When I translate big files with a lot markup, TagEditor works very slowly. To my observations main contribution in this effect - form size of translated file, not size TM.

[Edited at 2004-05-21 07:13]

United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags May 21, 2004

Thanks Victor

When I translate big files with a lot markup, TagEditor works very slowly. To my observations main contribution in this effect - form size of translated file, not size TM.

[Edited at 2004-05-21 07:13]

That must be it then...

There are more tags then text in the file.

Well at least now I know to ask for longer deadline next time I come across such a heavily tagged file...

Thanks
Ariane

Dr. Stephan Pietzko  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:59
Member (2002)
English to German
The Spellchecker, maybe! May 21, 2004

I noticed that the spellchecker slowed the tageditor awfully down. Using Word's spellchecker is even worse. That is with Trados 5.5, though. Give it a try if you can do without (or with some other tool).

Good Luck!

United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spellcheck off May 21, 2004

You are right it basically came to a standstill when I had the spellcheck on. So I turned it off right away.

It is moving along now, though still rather slowly. I am positive it is due to the tags.

This must be a parts table for ordering or something so its basically one or two words between lot´t of tags.

This is just a good thing to bear in mind when accepting and calculating a job...

Thanks for all the help!
Ariane

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Reorganize the TM May 21, 2004

By bigs TMs it is very important to reorganize the TM frequently.

Regards
Toledo

United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? May 21, 2004

Dear Toledo,

Could you specify what you mean by that. How can I reorganize the TM?

Thanks
Ariane

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
TWB/File/Reoganize May 21, 2004

Could you specify what you mean by that. How can I reorganize the TM?

On the Trados Workbench bar click File/Reoganize.

HTH

[Edited at 2004-05-21 12:19]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Restart Tag Editor May 21, 2004

Sometimes it helps to restart the program. I don't know why...

I have a fast machine, but I have experienced Tag Editor (the latest build) being very slow as well, even while typing. I think it was a file with lots of tags. It was OK after restart.

You can see that something's not right in the Task Manager, if Tag Editor's CPU usage is high even when you are not typing.

Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Export unknown segments to rtf May 22, 2004

I had similar problems a few weeks ago, with huge files and a memory containing lots of 100%-translations. What I ended up doing was to analyse the files against the memory, click "Export Unknown segments", choose the file type Word (rtf), and then open the resulting file in Word and translate it. The file was small and manageable and I could take advantage of the features I love in Word. Handling tags in Word is of course more tedious than in Tageditor, but when using Tageditor doesn't work, this is a good workaround. Remember to run the Verify-feature in Tageditor after autotranslation though, strange things can happen to tags in Word.

Elisabeth

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Feedback from Trados May 24, 2004

Hi again,
I contacted Daniel Brockmann at Trados - here are a few additional pointers at possible causes of performance problems:

* Sometimes the orginal source file (.XML/.SGML or .HTM) does not have any line breaks but all text and tags on a single line. If this is the case then translation will be very slow as there is only one physical paragraph in the file, which can slow down things dramatically. Workaround is to edit the source file so that it has some line breaks. You can basically add line breaks anywhere using a text editor, but it's best practice to add them after external tags.

* Sometimes the creator of the .INI file uses only internal tags. Again this also can slow down translation (apart from being not very localisation-aware, most tags are external).

Ariane, could you possibly send me one of the files to me (preferably zipped)? I will forward it to Trados Support for a more detailed check.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag editor slooooooooow

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs