fbertrand
fbertrand
Canada
Local time: 07:23
English to French
+ ...
Dec 31, 2011

Hello,

I have a client who has lists of items to translate, the items descriptions + colors are 75% of the time made from a combination of standard terms, for example: - Shovel 1234 Blue, - Large Shovel 5678 Dark Blue, and so on.

I made a TB of about 250 words and short strings of words and I am disappointed to find that I can't ask Trados (2009) to auto-replace the terms. In the "Pre-Translation" batch mode function, there is a choice of options when Trados h
... See more
Hello,

I have a client who has lists of items to translate, the items descriptions + colors are 75% of the time made from a combination of standard terms, for example: - Shovel 1234 Blue, - Large Shovel 5678 Dark Blue, and so on.

I made a TB of about 250 words and short strings of words and I am disappointed to find that I can't ask Trados (2009) to auto-replace the terms. In the "Pre-Translation" batch mode function, there is a choice of options when Trados has not found a perfect match: leave the target empty, copy the source or apply auto-transaltion from the server. It seems to me that SDL came so close to doing it, I wonder why they didn't? If only there was an option to copy the source and replace all terms that has a perfect match in the TB!

Hoping that I am wrong and someone knows of a function I missed.

Or that someone knows of a macro that runs in Trados that could perform a "find/replace multiple words" task.

Thanks for the help!

Frank
Collapse

Verena Weber
Verena Weber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:23
English to German
+ ...
a macro that runs in Trados STudio 2009 that could perform a "find/replace multiple words" task. Dec 31, 2011

Hello Frank,

Of course, there is a function like this. When you are in the SDL EDIT VIEW and have the file ready for translation with complete source text copied in the target then open top bar Menu EDIT > SEARCH – a window “Search and Replace” will pop up, now you can start automated search and replace function to find and replace all the words contained in the text which need to be changed.
Good luck!

Verena

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
No Dec 31, 2011

(SDL) Trados has been pretty stubborn in not enabling any automatic term insertion (or automatic substitution of final punctuation). The closest it has ever come to that was in SDL Trados 2007 or older, where you can use the automatic Translate feature and choose to Translate terms > Replace. In Studio, you can use the Autocomplete feature that suggests terms from the glossary as you type.

If your project is large enough to bother, there is not a lot of grammar involved, and the wor
... See more
(SDL) Trados has been pretty stubborn in not enabling any automatic term insertion (or automatic substitution of final punctuation). The closest it has ever come to that was in SDL Trados 2007 or older, where you can use the automatic Translate feature and choose to Translate terms > Replace. In Studio, you can use the Autocomplete feature that suggests terms from the glossary as you type.

If your project is large enough to bother, there is not a lot of grammar involved, and the word order is the same in both languages I would split the strings into single words, make a TM from the term list, translate the single words, recombine them into strings, and then align the source and target to create the final TM and automatically translate the complete strings. For splitting, you can use Excel: first, paste your list of strings to column A, and then choose Data > Text as columns and use the space as the divider. Translate the Excel file in Studio. To recombine them into whole strings again, you can copy and paste the translated content into Word and replace tab characters with spaces.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Cat hopping Dec 31, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

(SDL) Trados has been pretty stubborn in not enabling any automatic term insertion (or automatic substitution of final punctuation). The closest it has ever come to that was in SDL Trados 2007 or older, where you can use the automatic Translate feature and choose to Translate terms > Replace.

Yep, it's one of the points where Studio is worse even than the legacy Trados.

If your project is large enough to bother, there is not a lot of grammar involved, and the word order is the same in both languages I would split the strings into single words, make a TM from the term list, translate the single words, recombine them into strings, and then align the source and target to create the final TM and automatically translate the complete strings. For splitting, you can use Excel: first, paste your list of strings to column A, and then choose Data > Text as columns and use the space as the divider. Translate the Excel file in Studio. To recombine them into whole strings again, you can copy and paste the translated content into Word and replace tab characters with spaces.

IMO it will work only in some ideal world...
The best approach here is some cat hopping i.e. you should yuse a tool which is able to make this kind of substitution automatically, e.g. DVX, memoQ. Swordfish, Wordfast, Metatexis etc.
The list is quite long...

Catspeed
GG

fbertrand
fbertrand
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 31, 2011

Thank you for the answers!

@Verena: Its limitation is that it is one word at a time.

@Adam and Grzegorz:

I'm translating English to French and so the words don't appear in the same order once translated.
The actual client is in the clothing industry. I would say that 60% of the documents are lists of products. First the description of the product, then the part # and then the color/fabric type. It becomes an endless combination of adjectives to
... See more
Thank you for the answers!

@Verena: Its limitation is that it is one word at a time.

@Adam and Grzegorz:

I'm translating English to French and so the words don't appear in the same order once translated.
The actual client is in the clothing industry. I would say that 60% of the documents are lists of products. First the description of the product, then the part # and then the color/fabric type. It becomes an endless combination of adjectives to describe them.
If TRADOS could only replace the string of terms I entered into the TB, it would save me hours.

Thank you very much for the help, I will throw the towel on Trados for this and start looking into other CAT tools.

Do you know of one that works with .indd files from InDesign (Adobe) ? Trados worked well since I could use an older version of InDesign to create a .inx which is recognized by TRADOS.

Cheers and happy new year!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Cat hopping again... Jan 1, 2012

fbertrand wrote:

@Adam and Grzegorz:

My main pair is FR-PL which often concords but the 1:1 approach is simply impossible.

The actual client is in the clothing industry. I would say that 60% of the documents are lists of products. First the description of the product, then the part # and then the color/fabric type. It becomes an endless combination of adjectives to describe them.
If TRADOS could only replace the string of terms I entered into the TB, it would save me hours.

Thank you very much for the help, I will throw the towel on Trados for this and start looking into other CAT tools.

Cases exactly like yours were one of the reasons why I deserted to the DVX camp more than 10 years ago
Now, you have more choices but 10 ago DVX was the only sound solution (e.g. Wordfast handled only Word files, the other tools were created some years after).

Linguistically speaking, DVX is still the best in this kind of scenarios but every tools has its pros and cons.
Personally, today I would choose DVX or memoQ which projects are in fact data bases, so they're extremely flexible if you want to translate out-of-order (e.g. you can sort your sentences alphabetically etc.) which often makes sense in this kind of projects.
In the same way, they handle well multiple documents (you can easily display their content in one view. which saves a lot of time one wastes in Trados for opening/closing single files).

Do you know of one that works with .indd files from InDesign (Adobe) ?

AFAIK all of them handle then by .inx but the filter parameters may differ (i.e. you may have less options than in Trados etc.).
I didn't test 'em all, so I can't assure a 100% stability of a particular filter but...

Trados worked well since I could use an older version of InDesign to create a .inx which is recognized by TRADOS.

... probably all (*) abovementioned tools are able to read Trados files (both TTX and SDLXLIFF), so you can simply create your files in Trados, import in your preferred CAT, let's say DVX, translate and export as Trados file.
It works as a charm.
80-90% of my jobs are Trados files I translate mainly in DVX.
For detailed cat hopping instructions, see the respective fora.

(*) I'm not up to date with the SDLXIFFF in Wordfast and Metatexis, AFAIK they do but I didn't test it myself.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-01-01 12:00 GMT]

fbertrand
fbertrand
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 2, 2012

Many thanks Grzegorz!
More than I expected.
I didn't know Trados files could be read by other CAT tools, it's very convenient.

Happy New Year!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can TB auto-translate terms?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »