Magdalena Szymańska
Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I have problems with adding an .ini file to a .ttx file in Trados Studio 2011.

Trados 2007 and Trados 2009 automatically opened Tag Setting Managers window and prompted choosing an appropiate .ini file.

Trados 2011 doesn't do this (even though when I open the same .ttx file in Trados 2007 Tag Setting Manager is automaticly opened).

What do I do? Translate without the .ini file? Or add .ini file manually (how do I do it?)
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have problems with adding an .ini file to a .ttx file in Trados Studio 2011.

Trados 2007 and Trados 2009 automatically opened Tag Setting Managers window and prompted choosing an appropiate .ini file.

Trados 2011 doesn't do this (even though when I open the same .ttx file in Trados 2007 Tag Setting Manager is automaticly opened).

What do I do? Translate without the .ini file? Or add .ini file manually (how do I do it?)

Thank you for your help,
Magda
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simply forget about the *.ini Jan 10, 2012

Studio does not need any ini file to open the ttx.
Please imagine how the whole process looks like:
A file in a format XYZ is opened in TagEditor. The XYZ is not a standard format like Word or INX or something similar, but needs an INI file to be opened properly (read: tagged) in TagEditor.
Now the file is being stored in TTX format. This is a standard Trados XML format, which can be easily opened in Studio. Studio needs an INI file (it is called filetype there) for a TTX file,
... See more
Studio does not need any ini file to open the ttx.
Please imagine how the whole process looks like:
A file in a format XYZ is opened in TagEditor. The XYZ is not a standard format like Word or INX or something similar, but needs an INI file to be opened properly (read: tagged) in TagEditor.
Now the file is being stored in TTX format. This is a standard Trados XML format, which can be easily opened in Studio. Studio needs an INI file (it is called filetype there) for a TTX file, but not for XYZ.

The only limit which may occur is, that after creating a final TTX some screen formatting may not be applied, so when opened in TagEditor the file will look like plain text and will not show any formatting. However all tags will be in place.
So just open the TTX, translate as usual and do not care about the ini.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
.ini Jan 10, 2012

Hi Magda,

When creating the project and before completing the project copy the ini file either into the source or target folder that where Studio will be looking for the ini file or open in 2007 with the standard procedure and you will not be prompted for the ini file

HTH,

Bernard

Magdalena Szymańska
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 10, 2012

Thank you gentlemen

I have disregarded the .ini file. Let's see what the client says.

Magda

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nothing Jan 10, 2012

Magdalena Szymańska wrote:

Thank you gentlemen

I have disregarded the .ini file. Let's see what the client says.

Magda

And if you really wanna make the impression you worked with T2007, just replace the file headers in the TTX files generated from Studio by the file headers of source TTX files from the customer. Before doing so just check what is entered in "Target Language" tag and enter the same in the header you insert.
That way there is AFAIK no possibility for the customer to see you used Studio instead of TagEditor.

Magdalena Szymańska
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did that. Jan 11, 2012

That's exactly what I did. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ini files in Trados 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »