Thread poster: Valentina Cafiero

Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:25
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
May 31, 2004

I have never used Trados with power point. I tried do open the program with the file to transalate, but the toolbar doesn't appear. Can you help me?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... May 31, 2004

Hi Valentina,
We need more details...

- Which version of Trados are you using (exact version please, including the build number)?
- If you're using T6.0 or T5.x, do you also have a license for T-Window for PowerPoint?

Thanks, Ralf

Italy
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the versione is 6 May 31, 2004

The version of trados is 6 build 309 and I can't check if I have a t-window.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you install the T-Windows? May 31, 2004

Thanks.
The version of trados is 6 build 309

...which means you cannot use TagEditor. (In TagEditor 6.5 you can work directly on .ppt and .xls files without having to use T-Window.)

and I can't check if I have a t-window.

Check your licenses under Help - About - if you see TRADOS T-Window Collection, you can use T-Window for PowerPoint (provided that you installed it, of course).

HTH, Ralf

Italy
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot May 31, 2004

I found T-Window and it's ok
Thanks a lot,

Valentina

Helle Kaiser-Nielsen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
English to Danish
+ ...
Same problem, different version of Trados... Jun 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Valentina,
We need more details...

- Which version of Trados are you using (exact version please, including the build number)?
- If you're using T6.0 or T5.x, do you also have a license for T-Window for PowerPoint?

Thanks, Ralf

Hi Ralf,
I am translating PPT using Trados for the 1st time as well and "it's just not happening". My Trados version is 5.5 Freelance, build 18.

So far I have followed the How To instructions in Help as follows:

"From the start menu:

· Select the T-Window for PowerPoint from the T-Windows option under Trados 5.5."
(I.e. I am not launching it from WorkSpace, which I never use)

No tool bar with the usual symbols etc. comes up...

Helle

Germany
English to German
+ ...
T-Window works differently Jun 19, 2004

Hi Helle,
I am translating PPT using Trados for the 1st time as well and "it's just not happening".

What is "just not happening"? Can you describe your problem in more detail?

My Trados version is 5.5 Freelance, build 18.

Which means that you successfully opened T-Window for PowerPoint, as that build number under T5.5 is only shown within T-Window.

Well, it wouldn't, as the T-Window popup shows the tool bar. What you should see in PowerPoint is the Flagman icon and a Trados menu item. Can you confirm that?

Best regards, Ralf

Helle Kaiser-Nielsen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
English to Danish
+ ...
Confirmed and Thanks :-) Jun 20, 2004

After a little tweaking of the ppt presentation (getting rid of unsupported fonts), it all worked out.

Thank you very much for getting back so quickly and enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Best regards
Helle

MDT Studio
Argentina
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extended question on .ppt files with Trados Mar 1, 2007

Hi Ralf,
this is an old thread, but I found it when looking for help with Power Point files. Im new with Trados and I got a huge ppt file (198 slides) which is full of embedded images. (When I click on the text of a slide it is full of embedded images which contain either graphic of text). Is it possible to use Tag Editor to tranlate this type of file? Or do I have to start thinking of sth else? (I've already tried to copy-paste the text, but a single slide contains several separate image-objects, I cannot paste the text into Word.

Any idea that can help me?

Thank you a lot in advance!!
Monica
mdomin2003@yahoo.com.ar

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Helle,
I am translating PPT using Trados for the 1st time as well and "it's just not happening".

What is "just not happening"? Can you describe your problem in more detail?

My Trados version is 5.5 Freelance, build 18.

Which means that you successfully opened T-Window for PowerPoint, as that build number under T5.5 is only shown within T-Window.

Well, it wouldn't, as the T-Window popup shows the tool bar. What you should see in PowerPoint is the Flagman icon and a Trados menu item. Can you confirm that?

Best regards, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
You cannot translate graphics... Mar 1, 2007

...unless you convert the images into text - regardless of the file type they're embedded in.

Check with the author of the file what application was used to create the embedded graphics - failing that, you will need to re-type or use OCR software.

Best regards,
Ralf

MDT Studio
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Mar 2, 2007

Ralf,

Thank you so much for your help!!
I checked each slide again, and realised that most of the graphics were in fact screen captions (or whatever you call them), which I am not supposed to translate, so I will explain to my client. But I still didnt know whether it was possible to translate them, maybe I didnt have the right tool. So, again, thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Monica

MDT Studio
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creating a Tagged file - valid process? Mar 3, 2007

Dear Ralf,
I`m doing some self-teaching with the Trados Workbench User Guide for TradosTag today -this is the first time I'm using it. But I think I did something wrong BEFORE, and may need to fix it:

I have a .ppt (source) file to translate, so I run Workbench, then TagEditor, and opened the .ppt file directly from TagEditor, without doing any of the previous steps, such as: properties setting in Workbench menu, selecting the TradosTag XML Workflow for Word, or performing the "Analyse" or "Pre-translate" functions. The .ppt file was opened as a TagEditor file, the tags seem to be ok. I did nothing else afterwards.

So, Is this new file I created valid, or do I just have to delete it and start all over again before starting to translate the document , by doing the previous steps indicated in the User's Manual?

Further, can I move the source .ppt file and this new tagged file into a new folder now, or it is just not possible once the TagEditor file was created?

I hope my questions are clear, and sorry to bother with a beginner's question.

Best regards,
Monica

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No problem Mar 3, 2007

Hi Monica,
On a general note, I would prefer to use the File Formats Reference Guide.

So, Is this new file I created valid, or do I just have to delete it and start all over again before starting to translate the document , by doing the previous steps indicated in the User's Manual?

You may wish to analyse, but you don't have to - opening a .ppt file and saving it as .ttx in TagEditor should be ok.

Further, can I move the source .ppt file and this new tagged file into a new folder now...

Yes.

I hope my questions are clear, and sorry to bother with a beginner's question.

Not at all!

HTH, Ralf

MDT Studio
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
It really helps me!! Mar 3, 2007

Thanks so much, Ralf !!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power point with trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs