Thread poster: Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 03:34
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Jerzy - and everybody: one more bug? Preview "steals" focus and does not update realtime Mar 13, 2012

Jerzy,

Again I feel that we agree completely! I agree that Studio has a lot of possibilities and offer many improvements - the possibility to work with and update more than one TM at the same time is brilliant and something I have secretly wanted for a long time - the problem is that I don't have full control over those possibilities (this is the being-treated-as-a-child problem we talked about), or the control is less than userfriendly. Again, I haven't tried the Projects workflow
... See more
Jerzy,

Again I feel that we agree completely! I agree that Studio has a lot of possibilities and offer many improvements - the possibility to work with and update more than one TM at the same time is brilliant and something I have secretly wanted for a long time - the problem is that I don't have full control over those possibilities (this is the being-treated-as-a-child problem we talked about), or the control is less than userfriendly. Again, I haven't tried the Projects workflow yet (do you happen to know of a good video tutorial for this specifically that you could send me a link for?), but when SDL implements a Document workflow, it ought to be userfriendly and practical, both in terms of the options that are available to me and how these options are available. For instance the Update interface which does not use all the space that is available in the Update window. That is just poor programming that makes it difficult to change Update settings, and hopefully SDL will improve it.

And then there are the obvious bugs - concordance and spellcheck are the onces I have discovered so far. I find it highly criticizable that SDL sends out a translation product that is faulty on such a central function as spellcheck, and I hope that SDL is giving this the highest priority. And then I might just have discovered a new bug in the Preview function. I just tried pinning the Preview to the work area like you suggested. It seems that Preview "steals" focus from the target segment while I'm typing - suddenly no more letters appear although I am still typing! This did not happen before I pinned Preview to the work area, so my guess is that it's Preview that is "stealing" focus. Also, Realtime Target Preview is not realtime at all. I keep seeing the source text. The only thing that changes is the highlighted segment as I work my way through the text. Another problem is that highlighted words in the original document (which my customer uses to mark words he does not want translated) are not shown as highlighted in Preview (neither Source nor Target Preview). Do you, Jerzy - or anybody else - experience the same things?

Jerzy, I will indeed take a look at the Ideas site you mention - this was actually the site I thought I remembered, so thanks for the link! But it only seems to be meant for suggestions (which is fine, I have many!), but not for bugs. Do you know if there is a site for reporting bugs?

I hear you about wanting to avoid frustration! But I hope you will agree that although I am indeed frustrated, I make sure to keep this thread constructive and friendly, especially to people who are trying to help me!

So I would like to ask you specifically if you also encounter the things I consider bugs: you already confirmed the concordance search, but what about spellcheck? If you work with Polish and German, I'm sure you must use many special characters. It seems to be the special letters in Danish that cause the spellcheck to malfunction, so do you experience this? And what about the things about Preview which I just experienced, and which I described above? And what is your opinion about the fact that Studio removes the space after the last word in a line even if that word is followed by more words in the next line? It seems like a bug to me, because there is no reason for it that I can see.
Collapse

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Emma Goldsmith Mar 13, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

2) The check box "Do not show this dialog again if the language pair settings for the document are known" in the Open document dialog keeps getting automatically checked, even though I remove the check mark every time I open a file.

Yes, I found that a bit frustrating until I discovered that it was miles better to use projects for everything.

Thanks for your contribution, Emma. Yes, others have suggested I use projects, so I'll give it a try soon.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

11) The Preview slide-in function may be fun to look at the first 2-3 times, but then it's just annoying that it takes so long! It should be possible to deselect the slide-in function and just have it appear and disappear.

I click the X in the preview window and it goes for good. Like you, I prefer as much space as possible, and am happy with the source file on my other monitor. Studio is really quite flexible for resizing and making windows disappear. I can't see the problem here.

Well, I'd like to be able to follow my progress in the Target Preview (to see if my translation fits into text boxes for instance. In that sense the Preview is a practical function (if it works - after you posted I discovered some apparent bugs in the Preview function as well - you can see my description in my earlier post).

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, Becky Mar 13, 2012

Becky Blackley wrote:

Hi.

You don't need to edit errors in the source segments that are displayed in the source column. You just want to make sure that an error (such as a typographical error) isn't stored in your TM. That's easy to do. Once the TU (with the source segment typo) has been saved, just right-click the TU (in the Translation Results window) and select "Edit TU." Then you can edit either the source or target text as needed and re-save the TU (with the corrected source segment typo). The typo remains in the source document itself, but isn't in the TU in your TM. Your TM is correct, and you won't be limiting the number of possible matches.

Hope this helps.

Becky

It seems like a good and easy idea - but what will happen with the segment in the file being translated (in the Editor view in Studio, I mean)? Doesn't it change status from Confirmed to - something else, I'm not sure what, since it was first Confirmed, but then the source part of the TU in the TM is changed so that it no longer matches the source segment in the file that is being translated. And if I confirm it again, won't it be added to the TM again as a new TU? I'll look at this solution tomorrow, but thanks a lot for your suggestion!

Becky Blackley
Becky Blackley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Russian to English
Item 7: A tip for changing Update settings mid-way through a document Mar 13, 2012

Hi, again.

It isn't an easy task to remove incorrect TM field values. You can, of course, use Batch Edit to correct the TUs in the TM, but that can be time-consuming. It's better to avoid adding the incorrect values in the first place.

Here's a tip:
To avoid this problem in the future, don't enter your "Update" settings (your TM field values) in the "Open Document" dialog box (i.e. with the "Advanced" button). What most translators don't realize is that the values
... See more
Hi, again.

It isn't an easy task to remove incorrect TM field values. You can, of course, use Batch Edit to correct the TUs in the TM, but that can be time-consuming. It's better to avoid adding the incorrect values in the first place.

Here's a tip:
To avoid this problem in the future, don't enter your "Update" settings (your TM field values) in the "Open Document" dialog box (i.e. with the "Advanced" button). What most translators don't realize is that the values you enter here become the "Default" Tools>Options values that will be applied not just to the document you're opening, but also to each NEW document that you open. (To verify this, go to Tools>Options, and you will see that those settings have been added there.) Any values set in Tools>Options are automatically applied to the next document you open, unless you remember to change them. So if you forget to change the values when you open the next document, you will create the problem of saving incorrect values with each TU.

The key to avoiding the problem is to have NO VALUES automatically applied from Tools>Options, so never add the values with the "Advanced" button. Instead, open your document first, and then apply the values via the "Project Settings" button. Now the values will apply to the current project ONLY and won't be automatically applied to all future jobs. (Go to Tools>Options, and you will see that the values have NOT been added there as the new default settings.)

So now you will never add any incorrect TM field values to a new project. The worst mistake you can make is to forget to add any values at all, and that's relatively easy to correct if you discover the mistake after you have already started translating. (And it's far better to omit information than store incorrect information.)

Here's how to add forgotten TM field values:
First add the values with the Project Settings option. Next use the Display Filter to display only Translated (Confirmed) segments. (You want to skip Draft and Untranslated segments.) Then, use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Enter to re-confirm each translated segment and move to the next confirmed segment. (NOTE: Ctrl+Enter will skip confirmed segments, so be sure to include the Alt key.) Since you haven't displayed Draft segments, you won't accidentally confirm a segment that you want to leave in Draft state. As each segment is re-confirmed, the TM field values will be added. If you discover that you omitted the TM field values early in the translation, this is easy to do. However, if you don't discover the omission until you've translated 50 pages, then using Batch Edit would probably be faster.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if you've already added incorrect values. This procedure will add new values, but it won't remove existing ones. It will merge the values, and the incorrect ones will still be there. So it's important to avoid adding incorrect values by using the "Project Settings" button rather than the "Advanced" button.

I have added my TM field values this way for years, and while I've forgotten to add the values a few times, I have always found it easy to add them this way.

Hope this helps.

Becky
Collapse

Becky Blackley
United States
Russian to English
Item 6 clarification Mar 13, 2012

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. (Mea culpa.)

When I said that you "save" the corrected TU, I meant that you click the "OK" button in the "Edit TU" dialog box. I didn't mean that you re-confirm the segment in the side-by-side editor. As you pointed out, that would once again save the segment with the typo in the TM. You just leave the segment in the side-by-side editor in it's confirmed state. Using the "Edit TU" option doesn't change the TUs status in the editor.

Becky

Dennis Boffy wrote:

Becky Blackley wrote:

Hi.

You don't need to edit errors in the source segments that are displayed in the source column. You just want to make sure that an error (such as a typographical error) isn't stored in your TM. That's easy to do. Once the TU (with the source segment typo) has been saved, just right-click the TU (in the Translation Results window) and select "Edit TU." Then you can edit either the source or target text as needed and re-save the TU (with the corrected source segment typo). The typo remains in the source document itself, but isn't in the TU in your TM. Your TM is correct, and you won't be limiting the number of possible matches.

Hope this helps.

Becky

It seems like a good and easy idea - but what will happen with the segment in the file being translated (in the Editor view in Studio, I mean)? Doesn't it change status from Confirmed to - something else, I'm not sure what, since it was first Confirmed, but then the source part of the TU in the TM is changed so that it no longer matches the source segment in the file that is being translated. And if I confirm it again, won't it be added to the TM again as a new TU? I'll look at this solution tomorrow, but thanks a lot for your suggestion!

Becky Blackley
United States
Russian to English
Item 6: Comment on why the source text shouldn't be edited Mar 13, 2012

Hi, again.

I forgot to add that I have no problem with not being able to edit the source text. As I pointed out above, you can avoid saving TUs with source text errors by using the "Edit TU" option in the Translation Results window. But you really should avoid correcting the source document itself.

There are some very good reasons to NOT correct the text in the source document. I translate a lot of legal documents, including contracts (Russian into English). If a US com
... See more
Hi, again.

I forgot to add that I have no problem with not being able to edit the source text. As I pointed out above, you can avoid saving TUs with source text errors by using the "Edit TU" option in the Translation Results window. But you really should avoid correcting the source document itself.

There are some very good reasons to NOT correct the text in the source document. I translate a lot of legal documents, including contracts (Russian into English). If a US company is entering into a business relationship with a Russian company, the US company will want the Russian-language contract translated. If there are errors in the Russian text, the US company needs to be aware of them. They should never be corrected by the translator, because that would give the false impression that the Russian-language contract is without errors. This could lead to serious problems down the road after the contract is signed.

For example, I translated a contract between a buyer (US company) and seller (Russian company) that said (in Russian) that the "the buyer shall pay the seller for all the goods delivered to the seller." Obviously, it meant to say that the "the buyer shall pay the seller for all the goods delivered to the buyer." But if that mistake was corrected by the translator, the US company would not be aware of the mistake and might sign the contract. Technically, they would have signed a contract to pay for goods that were going to be delivered not to them, but to the seller. The mistake should be translated as "the buyer shall pay the seller for all the goods delivered to the seller [sic]." It shouldn't be corrected, because that could lead to legal problems.

Even a typographical error in the original source contract should not be fixed by the translator, because the client isn't going to sign the translator's copy of the source document. They're going to sign the original source document in their possession (which has the typo). However, since the client obviously doesn't understand the source language (or they wouldn't be paying to have the document translated), they will make their decision to sign or not sign the document based on the translation. Thus the translation must accurately reflect the source document as it is written, including any mistakes. So even a typo should not be corrected. Instead it should be noted in a comment to the client.

In most cases, the translator shouldn't edit the source document. Generally, it's best to leave the source document alone and just make any needed corrections to the TU that you are storing in your TM.

Becky
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Spell checker Mar 13, 2012

Dennis Boffy wrote:
So I would like to ask you specifically if you also encounter the things I consider bugs: you already confirmed the concordance search, but what about spellcheck? If you work with Polish and German, I'm sure you must use many special characters. It seems to be the special letters in Danish that cause the spellcheck to malfunction, so do you experience this? And what about the things about Preview which I just experienced, and which I described above? And what is your opinion about the fact that Studio removes the space after the last word in a line even if that word is followed by more words in the next line? It seems like a bug to me, because there is no reason for it that I can see.

The problem with spelling checker is hard to describe, as it happens randomly.
It happens more often in longer segments and it happens more often with Word as spell checker.
However you can just press CTRL+A in such segment and CTRL+SPACE subsequently. This will reset the formatting of the sentence to standard (so can't be used in segments with formatting) and the spell checker will work again.
But when you go this process I go, all things become relative:
We start with translation.
Then the same project is being opened on another computer by my wife, where she opens the document for review. She can perform the spell checking on the document with F7 and this works perfectly, so any typos which would be left are then corrected. Then she changes what needs to be changed in the review mode. In the end I open the file(s) in project once again (the project itself is on a NAS) and approve the changes. In the meantime a copy of the SDLXLIFF is stored under a different name to have a proof for revision for the EN 15038.

Studio has some small problems here and there. ok. Sometimes some problems are frustrating - agreed. But at the end of the day I see I have done much better work than previously and this is what counts.
Some settings in Studio are not so straight forward to understand, also agreed - but if you start working in structured way, 80% of all problems will disappear, because you will not get back and forth in a random way, causing program to misbehave, but will go always the same steps, which you found out to be working properly. This applies also to the multiple TM settings - if you could elaborate more on this, maybe I could help.
From my experience the MOST important thing is always keeping things as simple as possible. This is why I do not use any fields to describe customers, but rather customer specific TMs. It is much easier to maintain 10 small TMs without any fields as one TM with 4 different fields. Too much sugar will make your tee undrinkable...
And too much options are simply too much - for Studio or for any other tool. It is as simple as that.

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply about editing source/questions about using projects Mar 14, 2012

Becky, I understand very well your point about it actually being easier to just edit the TU in the Translation Results window in case of errors in source segments, and I will try that for a while, and if I feel it works out, I will make that a habit. Thanks for the tip!

Also thanks a lot for all your tips on correcting (and avoiding) wrong field values in TUs! The point about how field values added through the Open Document workflow become global is very important, and I did not rea
... See more
Becky, I understand very well your point about it actually being easier to just edit the TU in the Translation Results window in case of errors in source segments, and I will try that for a while, and if I feel it works out, I will make that a habit. Thanks for the tip!

Also thanks a lot for all your tips on correcting (and avoiding) wrong field values in TUs! The point about how field values added through the Open Document workflow become global is very important, and I did not realize this. You recommend using the Project Settings button, others have recommended that I simply use the Projects workflow instead of Open Documents, and I will give this a try to see if I like working that way.

To those of you who use the Projects workflow (Jerzy, Emma, everybody with advice to share!), would you say that the "smart" way to use Projects is to save a project template for each customer with TMs, field values etc. set once and for all (Jerzy, I know you don't use field values at all, so disregard that!), so that when I receive new assignments for the same customer, I simply open the documents as part of that project template? Which task sequence and batch tasks should I select (I don't understand why I first choose a Task Sequence with certain Batch Tasks in one window, and then in the next I again have to choose Batch Processing Settings)?

Speaking of projects, I just encountered a weird problem: I created a test project, and it was apparently created correctly and appears in the list in the Projects view, but I cannot double-click it, and when I right-click it, the top-most option of Open is grayed out - so I cannot start working on the project! What have I done wrong? How do I get from creating the project to opening the file in the Editor view?

Another weird problem: I just tried doing a translation with two TMs enabled and both marked for Update, but only the top one in the TM list was in fact updated. No TUs were saved in the second TM. Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong? I should mention that I did this translation via the Open Document, not Project workflow.

[Edited at 2012-03-14 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Workflow for Studio Mar 14, 2012

Both Open Document and Create new project lead to the same result: a new project in the Projects view. Just disregard the habit of opening a document like in Word...
Now please look at the Navigation pane on the left side of Studio. You will see top-down: Home, Projects, Files, Reports, Editor, TM.
Please feel free to explore ALL this views with a project created.
Regardless the project type you will have FILES listed in Files view. When opening a single document how would you
... See more
Both Open Document and Create new project lead to the same result: a new project in the Projects view. Just disregard the habit of opening a document like in Word...
Now please look at the Navigation pane on the left side of Studio. You will see top-down: Home, Projects, Files, Reports, Editor, TM.
Please feel free to explore ALL this views with a project created.
Regardless the project type you will have FILES listed in Files view. When opening a single document how would you reopen it for translation, if you needed to stop to go asleep? Correct, first make sure this Single document project has been chosen in Projects view and is listed on the Titłe bar of Studio, then go to Files view and open it from there via right click. BTW, when you right click you should wonder...
And please use right click in Studio as often as you can.
You ask for batch tasks and batch task settings: well, explore the settings for the batch tasks, then you will see why you select batch tasks and why you do change settings.
I have already said this: Studio has dozens if not thousands of different settings, some of those really straightforward and some so complex, that even very experienced user do not know them. And Studio is a very structured way of working.

This forum is for help in trouble, but really not for training.
So please look on ProZ for a course or look at SDL website, they offer a lot of webinars on Studio.
Please understand, that we can just scratch the surface here and providing training via forum is not the purpose here.
Collapse

Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am getting the hang of it, but... Mar 16, 2012

Jerzy,

I understand what you say about help versus training - so this time I am asking for help with a specific problem:

To rephrase what you have said so far very shortly: The settings in Options are basic settings that should not contain project-specific information such as field values. Specific assignments are best carried out as projects, which copy the settings from Options for the language pair in question.

Except that doesn't happen! I've started us
... See more
Jerzy,

I understand what you say about help versus training - so this time I am asking for help with a specific problem:

To rephrase what you have said so far very shortly: The settings in Options are basic settings that should not contain project-specific information such as field values. Specific assignments are best carried out as projects, which copy the settings from Options for the language pair in question.

Except that doesn't happen! I've started using projects now, but every time I create a project, the settings I have set up in Options such as always adding a space between a number and a unit (in Tools > Options > Language Pairs > English to Danish > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > Auto-substitution > Measurements) and which AutoSuggest dictionary to use are not copied into the projects. I have to re-set these settings in every project I create. If I understood you correctly, these settings were supposed to be copied into the projects (according to language pair) automatically. Why is this not happening?

Thanks!
Collapse

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
remembering which folder Mar 17, 2012

8) Studio should remember which folder the document you are translating was opened from, and offer the same folder by default when you want to save the sdlxliff/project/target file. And it should be possible to set a default "start folder" that is always the starting point when opening new files for translation, instead of starting in whichever folder you happen to have used last for saving a completely different assignment in. I for instance have a Work folder that contains an Assignments folder, a Trados folder, etc., and the Assignments folder then contains subfolders for each customer, which again contains subfolders for each assignment. I would like Studio to always start in the Assignments folder when I press the Open document button.

I have recently switched from SDLX to Studio 2011 and the (seemingly random) assignment of folders has been one of the issues I've been struggling with. To me it seems like when you miss your chance to assign a specific folder during project creation, you have to go 'hunting' for your files later...

ClemRg (X)
ClemRg (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Settings in your template need to be changed Mar 17, 2012

Dennis Boffy wrote:

Except that doesn't happen! I've started using projects now, but every time I create a project, the settings I have set up in Options such as always adding a space between a number and a unit (in Tools > Options > Language Pairs > English to Danish > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > Auto-substitution > Measurements) and which AutoSuggest dictionary to use are not copied into the projects. I have to re-set these settings in every project I create. If I understood you correctly, these settings were supposed to be copied into the projects (according to language pair) automatically. Why is this not happening?

Thanks!

No, Dennis, they are not, if you create a project on the basis of a customised template or another project, these settings are taken from that template or the old project. They are ony used, if you use the template you have set as "Standard". Try to customise your template or create a special template for your requirements. Some of the settings go into the "Standard" template.
The settings in Extras/Options are used (automatically through the template you set as your "Standard" template) if you directly translate a document without a project.

Clemens

[Edited at 2012-03-17 15:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-18 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-18 15:18 GMT]

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
F3 problem May 3, 2012

1) Concordance: Sometimes the search term is not transferred to the search field, instead another concordance search is carried out on the previous search term. It takes a few more presses of F3 (or the chosen key) to get Studio to perform the concordance search on the highlighted word.

Does anyone know if there is a fix/patch for this? I don't have the problem in 2009 but it's driving me mad in 2011! I sometimes have to press F3 five or six times.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Various starter questions from frustrated new Studio 2011 user

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »