Exporting units from a password protected TM
Thread poster: Francesc Pont
Francesc Pont  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

Dear all,

I would like to export all the units from a translation memory I work with to another TM in which I store all the segments I have translated and/or obtained

However, this TM is password (and date) protected by its administrator and, therefore, I don't have the privileges needed to export the units.

Is there any way to do it (apart from knowing the administrator's password)? Although it may be a bit of a hacker's jon, I would be really willing to do it. Maybe messing with the binary / codified internal content of the files?

Thank you for your help!

Francesc Pont

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's precisely why the TM is password-protected Jun 22, 2004

Hi Francesc,
Obviously there's a reason why the TM is password-protected...
Is there any way to do it (apart from knowing the administrator's password)?

I suppose there's no perfect protection, but you should be aware that you would probably be breaching someone else's copyright.

Regards, Ralf

Francesc Pont  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right... Jun 22, 2004

... but, still, I am sure that there other translators out there who are using older translations made by me right now as, from my experience, most agencies tend to give their freelancers old TMs, as it is better (i.e. cheaper) for them to keep using those previously translated chains... and I don't think they think much about former translators' copyright rights.

Anyway, I would not really care about sharing my TMs with other translators, and I would be happy if anyone told me to share our existent TMs. Indeed, I don't even care much if there's someone out there using my copyrighted work without my permission...

Well, I am afraid I might be walking around the bush way too much... maybet it's because it's already late at night here in Spain...

Anyway, thanks a lot you for your answer!

Francesc

esaxon33  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
suggestion Jun 22, 2004

If you have at least the original source file, there is a way to do it. Tell trados to translate the original file based on the TM. After this is done, you can cleanup the file into a new memory by activating the Update TM section.

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Ask the owner to give you the password Jun 22, 2004

Ask the owner of the TM to give you the password. You got the TM from somewhere, what is so difficult to contact these people. Or got this TM into your fingers by "accident". In this case you should:
A) not use it, as you know nothing about the quality of the translations.
B) know that hacking it is illegal, unethical, etc..

If you think about it, you might find some reasons why password protection is sometimes a good think to do, and why hacking might be not such an brilliant idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting units from a password protected TM

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs