Trados 6.5: Concordance not working right
Thread poster: Hanne Flor
Hanne Flor  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:31
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

I have a problem with the concordance search. When I mark up a word for the search, Trados returns with "No concordance found", even though I know that the exact word (or more often words) are in the memory. This happens in about 40% of the search cases. I recently went from Trados 5.0 to 6.5 (freelance). How is it possible that the software cannot execute such a totally simple task ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try lowering the minimum match value Jun 22, 2004

Hi Hanne,
IIRC the default minimum match value (Options - Translation Memory Options - Concordance) is set to 60 or 70 percent. I tend to use a much lower value (e.g. 30%); although this gives me some more "noise" in concordance searches, I usually find what I'm looking for.

This is also a mathematical issue: if you use a value greater than, say, 50%, you won't get any hits on an expression of two words unless both words can be identified.

HTH, Ralf

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TM too large, old tm database version or reorganisation needed Jun 22, 2004

Hello,

- try to reorganise your TM,
- check the database version of the TM (maybe try to make a new TM and import the old translation units)
- take a look on the number of translationunits. TMs with more than approx. 100.000 TUs can be problematic.

Regards

Hans

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but .... Jun 22, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I understand what you mean, and I will try to lower the limit from the current 70%. But I still find it odd that the software cannot find words that are not 98% exact, but a 100% match !

Thanks a lot for your help anyway !

Hanne

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you looking for terms or phrases? Jun 22, 2004

Hi again,
I'm not sure if I fully understand your problem here...

I understand what you mean, and I will try to lower the limit from the current 70%. But I still find it odd that the software cannot find words that are not 98% exact, but a 100% match !

Why would you need a concordance search for a segment that provides a 100% match? Or are you looking for terms?

Best regards, Ralf

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for terms... Jun 22, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. Yes, I am looking for terms, not entire segments. I have several Trados memories, and the one I am working on right now only consists of about 5,000 units.

Hanne

Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Jun 22, 2004

Hi again,
You may want to consider using MultiTerm for terminology. Having said that, I regularly use the Concordance function to search for single terms.

If you like, you can send me an export of your TM, with a list of some terms you're looking for. Contact me through my profile to get my e-mail address if you like.

Best regards,
Ralf

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
A reference memory defined? Jun 22, 2004

Hi,

I have noticed that when I set up a reference memory and check the option "Search first in reference translation memory" in Translation Memory Options, then I am getting often not so close or hardly useful results. Though there are 100% or pretty close matches in the primary TM.

Regards,

Romuald

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reference TM Jun 22, 2004

Good point, Romuald!
Incidentally, we were discussing this in the course of an informal training session yesterday. Many users assume that by specifying a reference TM in the Concordance options they will get a parallel search in both TMs. Unfortunately, this is not the case - here's an overview of the behaviour (assuming a reference TM has been specified):

If Search first in reference TM is inactive:

- concordance search will start with the active TM;

- if there is a search result in the active TM, the concordance search will stop;

- if there is no search result in the active TM, the search will continue in the reference TM.

If Search first in reference TM is active:

- concordance search will start with the reference TM;

- if there is a search result in the reference TM, the concordance search will stop;

- if there is no search result in the reference TM, the search will continue in the active TM.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5: Concordance not working right

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs