ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: Tom Tyson
Word error caused by MultiTerm 8 macro-enabled template?

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
German to English
Apr 12, 2012

Hi. Who can help me with this?

As of this morning I'm getting error messages when opening Word 2007: "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open. Close the box..." followed by "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled becasue of your security settings". Three clicks on close and it goes away. Then when I want to close the Word file I get the message "Object library invalid or contains references to object definitons that could not be found".

So as far my limited understanding goes, I gather this might be caused by a macro-enabled template trying to open a dialog box but being prevented from doing so by my macro-settings (enabling all macros does not solve the issue however).

One fix I saw is to delete any macro-enabled templates in the Word STARTUP file, so I found my way in for a look and lo and behold: there is a Multiterm 8 macro-enabled Word template.

So my question is: Is it needed and can I safely delete it? (Or will this not fix the issue at all?)

I'd be grateful for any advice from people with more clue about these things than me (= nearly everyone!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Susan Madden  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2005)
German to English
Same problem here! Apr 13, 2012

Hi Tom,

Strangely enough I'm having the same problem since this morning. I moved the MultiTerm template out of the Startup folder (I didn't delete it, just in case!, simply moved it to another folder for "safe-keeping") and now Word is behaving fine.

Hope that helps!
Susan

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not alone Apr 13, 2012

Hi Susan

Thanks for your reply. I'll move the file elsewhere - just as soon as I've finished my current project! Does moving the file affect MultiTerm at all? Does it make any difference where it goes as long as it's not in the STARTUP folder?

By the way, did you see the other thread on this issue? Joel did the same as you.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222565-word_experienced_a_serious_problem_with_multiterm8dotm_studio_2011_user.html

An awful lot of users must be having the same issue if this has been caused by the updates from Microsoft. I guess SDL will need to come up with a proper fix asap.

Fabienne Mardon  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:23
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
good solution! Apr 14, 2012

It works for me too

Thanks very much!!

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:23
Partial member
English to Dutch
+ ...
Where is the STARTUP folder in Office 2010? Aug 21, 2012

In case you're wondering, the template in question is in the folder \USERS\{Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP at least when you're using Office 2010

I see that your comments were made in April. I downloaded and installed MultiTerm in July. Why did that problem occur anyway? SDL lagging behind again?

Zofia Romanis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm template error message in Word, Windows 8 Aug 18

Dear all, just thought I'd share this - if anyone uses Trados Studio 2011 (maybe it relates to 2014 too) on Windows 8, and you get this error message when closing Word: Compile error in hidden module: MTInsertFunctions... (and the macro one when opening)
Read th following links in this order, as they explain how to get rid of this, and it worked for me
1:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4661.html
2:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3330#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3330

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word error caused by MultiTerm 8 macro-enabled template?

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »