Wordcounts on the fly?
Thread poster: Stefan Keller

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
English to German
Jun 24, 2004

Dear Trados users,

In my favourite CAT tool (I won't mention the name to avoid starting yet another philosophical discussion), I can see the amount of words left to be translated at any given time with a single click of the mouse.
Is there any such feature (or at least a workaround) in Trados? It's very, very hard to keep track of one's own progress when working with the Workbench.
Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

Direct link Reply with quote

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:48
English to French
Analyze the file again. Jun 24, 2004

I always keep the original file on my computer and I run the Trados analysis again and it tells me how many words I've done so far.

Good luck!
Louise

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Wordcount Jun 24, 2004

If you translate in MS Word, you can select the remaining text and use the standard MS Word's wordcount. You can also analyse the document in Workbench, but you would have to close it first in MS Word (no need for that if you translate in TagEditor).

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
MS Word doesn't really help... Jun 25, 2004

Ok, thanks guys. Somehow I had expected that there is no satisfactory solution.
The problem with using the MS Word counts is that most of my files contain loads of twinExternal tags, so these word counts would not be accurate.

Thanks,
Stefan

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
German to English
+ ...
I didn't know that! Jun 27, 2004

Sorry I can't help you Stefan - and thanks to the rest.

I think I'll stick with a CAT program that is TMX-certified (not just compliant) and tells me when I can call it a day and put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcounts on the fly?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs