User
Thread poster: overseas
SDL Trados Suite 2011 and MS Office 2010

overseas
Local time: 21:45
English to Korean
+ ...
May 1, 2012

I wanted to know if SDL Trados Suite 2011 Freelance (which I already purchased) is fully compatible with MS Office 2010 (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc., and which I am going to purchase-I have been using Office 2003 and 2007 with Trados 2007 most frequently and Suite 2009 in minor occasions). so I checked the SDL website for the relevant information. Under the FAQ tab, I found their "self-asking" question about "I heard that TagEditor and Word will no longer be offered as a translation environment?" Unfortunately, the explanation the website provided was absolutely "evasive" (to me, anyway) and did not asnwer my basic concern. Could anyone tell me if SDL Trados Suite 2011 Freelance works with Office 2010 the way earlier Trados versions did with previous Office (that is, Word and TagEditor are still available as the translation environment)? Thank you!

[Edited at 2012-05-01 15:15 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 09:45
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Studio and Office May 1, 2012

overseas wrote:
Could anyone tell me if SDL Trados Suite 2011 Freelance works with Office 2010 the way earlier Trados versions did with previous Office (that is, Word and TagEditor are still available as the translation environment)? Thank you!

Hi i find your question a little bit misleading but let me try to give you an answer and feel free to tell me if i got what you mean. I took the patience to go check the page you refer to in the SDL website and to whoever has used Studio, the answer is clear and lies in this sentence "When you see the new and integrated translation environment within SDL Trados, which will enable you to translate up to 20% faster*, you will be amazed!"
They are essentially telling you won't need to open documents in Word/Excel/Powerpoint to translate as you did with Workbench (On Word) or using TagEditor. Studio allows you to simply create TTX files from source files (Like Doc/Docx/Ppt/XLS/PDF and many others) and translate directly in the Studio interface. So the answer to your question should be YES, but not in the way you expect. With Studio you don't open the CAT inside Word or a file in TagEditor. But rather open the source file or a TTX file into Studio and translate INSIDE the Studio user interface. It's a totally different way to work compared to TagEditor and Workbench. Of course you will have Workbench and TagEditor but their role in a Studio based reality is limited to some operations Studio can't handle or to cases in which the customer expressly requires the job to be done in Trados 2007/TagEditor. In short, you will never use your Office to actually translate as most times the whole process is done through Studio.
Let me know if this answers your question.

[Edited at 2012-05-01 15:44 GMT]

overseas
Local time: 21:45
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your answer is very helpful May 1, 2012

Enrico, your answer is very helpful. Thanks! I guess my initial question was a bit misleading because my main concern was if I could still use Workbench and TagEditor (my comfort zone/environment), not opening any MS Office files directly into the Studio. Thank you again!

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
German to Polish
+ ...
What??? May 1, 2012

Enrico Cau wrote:

overseas wrote:
Could anyone tell me if SDL Trados Suite 2011 Freelance works with Office 2010 the way earlier Trados versions did with previous Office (that is, Word and TagEditor are still available as the translation environment)? Thank you!

Studio allows you to simply create TTX files from source files (Like Doc/Docx/Ppt/XLS/PDF and many others) and translate directly in the Studio interface.

Are you sure?

A.

SDL Support  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
English
Just to clarify... May 1, 2012

Hi,

Studio will work perfectly well with MS Office 2010.
Studio does not use a toolbar in Word, so the Office 2010 setup is used for "Realtime Preview" and "View in" previews with Office files. Translation is in an integrated environment within Studio for all filetypes.
Studio does not create TTX files, rather Studio uses SDLXLIFF files which are the Studio bilingual files (so you could say this was a modern TTX... maybe this is what Enrico meant?)

You can however use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to export an SDLXLIFF to a TTX and import back again... so you can use the Studio platform for this through the OpenExchange:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

On the more important part of the question:

You have mixed two names here and that probably leads to a little confusion. The names are:

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
SDL Trados 2011 Studio Freelance

Given you refer to Word and TagEditor, then yes these will still work with Office 2010. But you must ensure you install the 32-bit version of MSOffice and not the 64-bit version. This is because the Trados toolbar for Word will not work in the 64-bit version. So you can still use a 64-bit computer, but if you wish to operate the Trados toolbar that is installed with SDL Trados 2007 Suite then you must run the 32-bit version of MS Office.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Suite 2011 and MS Office 2010

Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you would like to create a new project, translate a do

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »