"The database file is locked" error message in Studio 2011 (trial version)
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 05:23
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
May 14, 2012

Hi

Like a lot of others, I guess, I was thrilled yesterday to find out that EU's DGT has made a new version of the acquis communautaire public. I downloaded the 25 files and extracted the language pairs I need, and all looked good in my trial version of Studio 2011, except that ...

today after opening up Studio and starting working in it, I get this annoying error message:

'The translation memory data file engine returned an error:
The database f
... See more
Hi

Like a lot of others, I guess, I was thrilled yesterday to find out that EU's DGT has made a new version of the acquis communautaire public. I downloaded the 25 files and extracted the language pairs I need, and all looked good in my trial version of Studio 2011, except that ...

today after opening up Studio and starting working in it, I get this annoying error message:

'The translation memory data file engine returned an error:
The database file is locked
database is locked"

I'm not sure exactly what it means, but my experience is that when Studio issues a warning message/symbol, it is not good ... I can't figure out exactly what is not good as I'm still able to make concordance searches. The TM is placed as no 3rd, it is located on my local drive (the two first ones are on the network), it is not to be updated, and it is about 2.4GB large ... (yes, not the smallest one, but according to SDL, Studio is able to handle an indefinte amount of TUs ...; however, Autosuggest cannot cope with more than approx. 500,000 TUs ...).

Can SDL provide a solution to this? I'm considering upgrading to Studio 2011, but if I can't use the TM, I might have to check if other tools are able to handle such large TMs.

Has anyone tried splitting up a large TM into smaller TMs, and if yes, what is your experience with this? The same question goes for the Autosuggest issue ...

And now I got your attention (:-)): What is the optimal set-up for Studio 2011 in a PC environment?

KR
Peter
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Worth checking the TM? May 14, 2012

Peter Adolph wrote:

..... (yes, not the smallest one, but according to SDL, Studio is able to handle an indefinte amount of TUs ...; however, Autosuggest cannot cope with more than approx. 500,000 TUs ...).

Can SDL provide a solution to this? I'm considering upgrading to Studio 2011, but if I can't use the TM, I might have to check if other tools are able to handle such large TMs.

Hi,

500,000 TUs is not excessive and I have generated AutoSuggest Dictionaries from TMs over twice this size so I'm not sure where you get this limitation from?

I haven't looked at the new version yet, although I do have the old ones, but if you let me know what language pair you used to generate this TM then I'll be happy to take a look?

Regards

Paul

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1,200,000 TUs counted by Studio May 15, 2012

Hi Paul

I am working with DA-EN; the TM has some 1,200,010 TUs. I did not get any error message during the creation of the TM in Studio (except the usual 'systemoutofmemoryexception', but I just shut Studio down and restarted it, then it worked).

I can live with the Autosuggest not containing more than 500,000 TUs, though it's annoying knowing that some 700,000 TUs cannot help me during the translation process, but it is not only annoying, but directly business-killing
... See more
Hi Paul

I am working with DA-EN; the TM has some 1,200,010 TUs. I did not get any error message during the creation of the TM in Studio (except the usual 'systemoutofmemoryexception', but I just shut Studio down and restarted it, then it worked).

I can live with the Autosuggest not containing more than 500,000 TUs, though it's annoying knowing that some 700,000 TUs cannot help me during the translation process, but it is not only annoying, but directly business-killing if the TM doesn't work properly.

I'm working on an internal 1GB network on a 2-years old server, my PC is a 1½-year old HP Compaq 8100 Elite with 12 GB RAM and Windows 7.

kind regards
Peter
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Creating TMs and ASD from DGT May 17, 2012

Hi Peter,

I had a go at this last night as follows, and from the sizes it looks as though I probably did the same as you. First I extracted my TMX using all the available resources in the DGT folders and this resulted in a TMX containing 1,993,718 TUs:

Then I created a new TM in Studio and imported the TMX as text only. I fully expect the size to be trimmed
... See more
Hi Peter,

I had a go at this last night as follows, and from the sizes it looks as though I probably did the same as you. First I extracted my TMX using all the available resources in the DGT folders and this resulted in a TMX containing 1,993,718 TUs:

Then I created a new TM in Studio and imported the TMX as text only. I fully expect the size to be trimmed down as Studio will do a good clean up on the TMX removing duplicates, number only segments etc. so anything that the SDLTM does not require. The import was successful reading all the TUs and stripped it down to 1,200,012 TUs which resembles the figures you quoted:

So, I then use the SDLTM for the AutoSuggest Dictionary as this will be cleaner than the original TMX I started with, and I try this on the maximum possible setting to start with:

This was also successful:

I don't know how long this took because I imported the TMX last night in a few hours and then set the AutoSuggest running before I went to bed... and was very happy to find it all done this morning.

This isn't the largest TM I have ever converted, but certainly I would not put the limits on it that you have stated. I'm using a 3-yr old laptop, Dell Latitude E6400, with 8Gb or RAM. So nothing special.

If anone would like to have a copy of this AutoSuggest Dictionary and the SDLTM then let me know.... this was just an exercise to test the new DGT download and the process you have gone through.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success! :-) May 17, 2012

Thanks, Paul, for taking time to look into it.

I now re-tried the creation of the autosuggest dictionary using all the TUs, but on a different PC with similar specs (and with the TM stored on the local client), and I actually succeeded (and it only took about 1½ hours)! So now I got the full autosuggest dictionary.

I think I might have tried, in the first instance, to create it from the TM on the server, and maybe some hidden network/server related issue arose.
... See more
Thanks, Paul, for taking time to look into it.

I now re-tried the creation of the autosuggest dictionary using all the TUs, but on a different PC with similar specs (and with the TM stored on the local client), and I actually succeeded (and it only took about 1½ hours)! So now I got the full autosuggest dictionary.

I think I might have tried, in the first instance, to create it from the TM on the server, and maybe some hidden network/server related issue arose.

However, I still have an issue with the TM itself (2.3GB) which is deconnected shortly after attaching it to the project, and I get this error message "'The translation memory data file engine returned an error: The database file is locked
database is locked".

Would you know if it's a problem to have attached some TMs/autosuggest that are placed on the server in the network and some that are on the local client (in the same project)?
I'm thinking that maybe it's best to have such a large TM stored locally (I only use it for reference purposes anyway) and have the working TM (that is updated during the translation and accessed by my employee as well during a large translation project we're doing right now) stored on our server.

Kind regards
Peter
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sharing Resources May 17, 2012

Peter Adolph wrote:
Would you know if it's a problem to have attached some TMs/autosuggest that are placed on the server in the network and some that are on the local client (in the same project)?

Hi Peter,

It is possible to share the TM, as describes in this KB:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2550&source=article&c=12&cid=23

But as it's not designed to work this way the performance is very likely to be hit and miss. Far better to adopt TM Server if you wish to do this reliably.

On AutoSuggest... I haven't tried this and don't know anyone else who has. It's probably similar to the problems of using a TM but multiplied because it's looking up all the time as you work rather than once a segment. It's also not supported on a Server either... it's designed to be a local resource.

Regards

Paul

StoneFei
StoneFei
United States
Local time: 23:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
having the same problem with a TM not shared at all Feb 11, 2013

The TM is file-based, on my local drive, not shared at all, but I got the same error message. Studio 2011 seems to have tons of issues

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"The database file is locked" error message in Studio 2011 (trial version)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »