https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/22939-conversion_of_txt_notepad_file_for_translation_with_trados.html

conversion of .txt notepad file for translation with Trados
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:32
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Jul 15, 2004

Hi all,
I've received a 40,000 word file from a client in Notepad format, full of tags and code. I thought I would just open it in Tag Editor and Trados would do the conversion for me, but it doesn't recognise the file type. How do I massage the doc so that I can translate it and maintain the integrity of the tags and code?

Thanks for your time!

Nancy

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 05:32
German to English
+ ...
Word XP und Word 2000 Jul 15, 2004

Hello,

open it in Word and save the Tag structure by setting the tw4WinInternal and External formats.

Hans

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the ITP filter pack Jul 15, 2004

That Trados utility will convert your .txt file to tagged rtf format. After translation and cleanup, you will need to reconvert the file.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
More detail, please ;-) Jul 15, 2004

Thanks to you both for your quick replies. Ricardo, I read your message on TW users list and you added a detail that was important to me: was the text extracted from Quark, Ventura or FrameMaker? I would not have known to ask the client this.

But I am afraid I also don't know where to find the ITP service pack, or indeed how to use it.

Same with your solution, Hans: I have Word XP and I would love to apply your solution, but do not know anything about the internal-exter
... See more
Thanks to you both for your quick replies. Ricardo, I read your message on TW users list and you added a detail that was important to me: was the text extracted from Quark, Ventura or FrameMaker? I would not have known to ask the client this.

But I am afraid I also don't know where to find the ITP service pack, or indeed how to use it.

Same with your solution, Hans: I have Word XP and I would love to apply your solution, but do not know anything about the internal-external settings thingie

I am technologically -challenged :blush:

Could you phelp me a little more, please? Thanks so much!

Nancy
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Details Jul 15, 2004

Hello,

this is a little bit difficult, because i don't know your file structure.

In principle you can try to change all "tags" with Search and replace to the desired format.

Example:

For HTML you can change:

{br} --> {br} with the format tw4WinExternal
{b} --> {b} with the format tw4WinInternal
{/b} --> {/b} with the format tw4WinInternal

( { and } are for the greater and smaller char)

Normal
... See more
Hello,

this is a little bit difficult, because i don't know your file structure.

In principle you can try to change all "tags" with Search and replace to the desired format.

Example:

For HTML you can change:

{br} --> {br} with the format tw4WinExternal
{b} --> {b} with the format tw4WinInternal
{/b} --> {/b} with the format tw4WinInternal

( { and } are for the greater and smaller char)

Normallly you should use placeholders for you search nd relace operations.

There are some preperation Macros in th Trados dot file.

Maybe you can try the macros and take a look on the result.

If you want more details, you must give us conrete structure information.

The itp filter pack isn't available now, but maybe some of the other translators has an old version.

Hans

[Edited at 2004-07-15 16:14]

[Edited at 2004-07-15 16:15]

[Edited at 2004-07-15 16:15]

[Edited at 2004-07-15 16:17]
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
ITP Filter Pack is a free Trados utility Jul 15, 2004

NancyLynn wrote:

Nancy

It is a free Trados utility. Very simple to use, but you need to know the source of the .txt file first.
I think you can get it from the Trados site, if you can't, contact me privately and I will tell you how to get a copy or, if you rather, send me the file and I will do the conversion for you. No problem either way.
Cheers,
Ricardo

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 06:32
English to Estonian
+ ...
Does ITP filter pack also know which tags should be internal and which tags should be external ? Jul 15, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

That Trados utility will convert your .txt file to tagged rtf format. After translation and cleanup, you will need to reconvert the file.

Does it also know which tags should be internal and which tags should be external ?

Assigning a style to each tag separately would be one hell of a job...

Judy Rojas
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes it does Jul 15, 2004

Jörgen wrote:

Does it also know which tags should be internal and which tags should be external ?

Yes. Filter Pack does that automatically, but you must tell it what is the source of the file, Ventura, Pagemaker or Quark. Each have different protocols.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
ITP Filter for ID CS? Jul 15, 2004

Do you think the old ITP filter can process InDesign CS files too?

Or is there a new version of ITP?

Just asking

Regards

Toledo

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Jörgen wrote:

Yes. Filter Pack does that automatically, but you must tell it what is the source of the file, Ventura, Pagemaker or Quark. Each have different protocols.

[Edited at 2004-07-15 22:02]

[Edited at 2004-07-16 09:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

conversion of .txt notepad file for translation with Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »