Stephanie Sewell
Stephanie Sewell
Local time: 06:53
Member (2012)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2012

HI

just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a limit to the number of words/phrases able to be held in the memory of the SDL Trados Studio Starter edition (compared to freelance edition).

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:53
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Quick Google search Aug 20, 2012

I Googled:
sdl compare versions studio
and came up with:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

Answer: 5000 TUs (translation units)

Stephanie Sewell
Stephanie Sewell
Member (2012)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Freelance v Starter Aug 20, 2012

Thanks Emma, I did the same!! However I can't find out what happens once you reach 5000 TU's - I haven't used Trados in a while. Can you delete some of the TU's or do you have to delete all and start again or does the programme stop working and you have to buy an upgrade??

Pavel Mondschein
Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:53
English to Czech
+ ...
After 5000 TU Aug 20, 2012

nzsteph wrote:

However I can't find out what happens once you reach 5000 TU's - I haven't used Trados in a while. Can you delete some of the TU's or do you have to delete all and start again or does the programme stop working and you have to buy an upgrade??

After your TM reaches 5000 TUs, you cannot use this TM anymore. You can create another TM, of course. But unlike with Freelance version (where you can use as many TMs as you wish at the same time), you can have only one TM active in Starter edition. Effectively it means that you can use Starter edition for smaller projects, but it is not suitable for big jobs, ongoing projects and really useful usage. Still, Starter edition is great for getting familiar with Trados and finding out if this software is suitable for you.

I have used Starter edition too, but after 6 months I have bought Freelance edition (and thanks to two big projects, the money I have invested in this upgrade have returned to me during two months - neat )

Stephanie Sewell
Stephanie Sewell
Member (2012)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Freelance v Starter Aug 20, 2012

Awesome, thanks Pavel - that's answered my question! I'll probably do the same as you and start out with the Starter version, which I guess is the whole point of it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Starter vs Freelancer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »