Help! TagEditor 6.0 (309) does not allow expanding TU past any Tag.
Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:58
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 22, 2004

The problem is that I cannot get TUs to extend across Tags. In this way sentences get heavily fragmented!

I am working on pretranslated ttx files. I think I am using TagEditor for the first time after upgrading to 6.0.

If I issue ctrl+alt+pgup nothing happens.

I have checked TM segmentation rules, they are just the usual default rules. I have also checked TagEditor setup, and tryed taking out all tag and doc protections. No change.

I have tried to go back to TagEditor 5.5. Same behaviour!

Something must be wrong...

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Pre-translation is the issue Jul 22, 2004

Hi Luca,
I am working on pretranslated ttx files. I think I am using TagEditor for the first time after upgrading to 6.0.

If I issue ctrl+alt+pgup nothing happens.

Well, for starters, the ExpandSegment shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+PgDn.

But even so, you're bound to get that problem. This is one of the problems with pre-translation - expanding segments is only possible if the next segment has not yet been translated.

What you can do if you customer refuses to provided a reference TM export is to first clean up the pre-translated file. If the source of these translations is reliable, you could clean it into your TM, otherwise create an empty TM, which you can then use as a reference TM for concordance.

HTH, Ralf

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem must be in the tags (or DTD ini file?) Jul 22, 2004

Hi Ralf!

Thank you for your reply (PgDn of course, sorry).

Ralf Lemster wrote:
What you can do if you customer refuses to provided a reference TM export is to first clean up the pre-translated file.
HTH, Ralf

I also received a final reference TM, so I had cleaned ttx without updating TM, and tried to work on the resulting xml. And:

1. Trados tries to translate Italian segments as well.
2. TUs are still segmented in correspondence with tags, and there is no way to expand them.

I have also checked the tags - they seem pretty normal. However I have found that, if I replace a tag with one taken from a xml file coming form another project, then TagEditor behaves normally, i.e. the TU encopasses the foreign tag (and stops at the next autochthonous tag)...

[Edited at 2004-07-22 09:17]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That would (partially) explain pre-translation Jul 22, 2004

Hi again,

I also received a final reference TM, so I had cleaned ttx witout updating TM, and tried to work on the resulting xml.

You didn't mention XML in your first posting...
Did you also receive a proper .ini file?
Given the inherent customisation of XML formatting, it's impossible to use generic DTD information. You will need a DTD file or XML Schema to create an .ini file matching the structure of the file to be translated.

However I have found that, if I replace a tag with one taken from a xml file coming form another project, then TagEditor behaves normally, i.e. the TU encopasses the foreign tag (and stops at the next autochthonous tag)...

That might be a quick fix, but is a dangerous strategy, as you're interfering with XML tags.

Sorry...
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! TagEditor 6.0 (309) does not allow expanding TU past any Tag.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums