Mobile menu

Help! TagEditor 6.0 (309) does not allow expanding TU past any Tag.
Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:22
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 22, 2004

The problem is that I cannot get TUs to extend across Tags. In this way sentences get heavily fragmented!

I am working on pretranslated ttx files. I think I am using TagEditor for the first time after upgrading to 6.0.

If I issue ctrl+alt+pgup nothing happens.

I have checked TM segmentation rules, they are just the usual default rules. I have also checked TagEditor setup, and tryed taking out all tag and doc protections. No change.

I have tried to go back to TagEditor 5.5. Same behaviour!

Something must be wrong...

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Pre-translation is the issue Jul 22, 2004

Hi Luca,
I am working on pretranslated ttx files. I think I am using TagEditor for the first time after upgrading to 6.0.

If I issue ctrl+alt+pgup nothing happens.

Well, for starters, the ExpandSegment shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+PgDn.

But even so, you're bound to get that problem. This is one of the problems with pre-translation - expanding segments is only possible if the next segment has not yet been translated.

What you can do if you customer refuses to provided a reference TM export is to first clean up the pre-translated file. If the source of these translations is reliable, you could clean it into your TM, otherwise create an empty TM, which you can then use as a reference TM for concordance.

HTH, Ralf

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem must be in the tags (or DTD ini file?) Jul 22, 2004

Hi Ralf!

Thank you for your reply (PgDn of course, sorry).

Ralf Lemster wrote:
What you can do if you customer refuses to provided a reference TM export is to first clean up the pre-translated file.
HTH, Ralf

I also received a final reference TM, so I had cleaned ttx without updating TM, and tried to work on the resulting xml. And:

1. Trados tries to translate Italian segments as well.
2. TUs are still segmented in correspondence with tags, and there is no way to expand them.

I have also checked the tags - they seem pretty normal. However I have found that, if I replace a tag with one taken from a xml file coming form another project, then TagEditor behaves normally, i.e. the TU encopasses the foreign tag (and stops at the next autochthonous tag)...

[Edited at 2004-07-22 09:17]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That would (partially) explain pre-translation Jul 22, 2004

Hi again,

I also received a final reference TM, so I had cleaned ttx witout updating TM, and tried to work on the resulting xml.

You didn't mention XML in your first posting...
Did you also receive a proper .ini file?
Given the inherent customisation of XML formatting, it's impossible to use generic DTD information. You will need a DTD file or XML Schema to create an .ini file matching the structure of the file to be translated.

However I have found that, if I replace a tag with one taken from a xml file coming form another project, then TagEditor behaves normally, i.e. the TU encopasses the foreign tag (and stops at the next autochthonous tag)...

That might be a quick fix, but is a dangerous strategy, as you're interfering with XML tags.

Sorry...
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! TagEditor 6.0 (309) does not allow expanding TU past any Tag.

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs