https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/23258-registering_trados_freelance_65_doesnt_work.html

Registering TRADOS Freelance 6.5 doesn't work....
Thread poster: Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:18
English to German
Jul 25, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I'm a TRADOS newbie. I installed my copy about a week ago, and I'm still at the "I'm playing around to see what happens" stage.

Somehow I came across "Registering TRADOS" under Start > Programme (this is German, so it might be programs/program files in English) > TRADOS Freelance 6.5 > Register TRADOS.

I clicked on that (to see what would happen!) and here's what happened:

A DOS window popped up and it started reading...
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm a TRADOS newbie. I installed my copy about a week ago, and I'm still at the "I'm playing around to see what happens" stage.

Somehow I came across "Registering TRADOS" under Start > Programme (this is German, so it might be programs/program files in English) > TRADOS Freelance 6.5 > Register TRADOS.

I clicked on that (to see what would happen!) and here's what happened:

A DOS window popped up and it started reading...

Registering TRADOS components...
Registering the Filter Framework...
Registering TM Anywhere....

Then an error message popped up saying:
"regsvr32.exe"

When I closed the error window, the following appeared in the DOS window:

Registering Trados Applications....

And then the window just shut down.

I don't have an old version installed. Just this new one. I'm still learning the ropes, and everything seems to work fine (even without registering it...). That is to say: I just *think* it needs to be registered on my computer...doesn't it?

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Annika

[Edited at 2004-07-25 19:29]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sounds "as designed" to me Jul 25, 2004

Hi Annika,
What you're describing sounds pretty normal to me.

Then an error message popped up saying:
"regsvr32.exe"

Are you sure this was an error message? Was there any other message besides this process?

Registering Trados Applications....

And then the window just shut down.

That's how this batch process usually shuts down.

I don't have an old version installed. Just this new one. I'm still learning the ropes, and everything seems to work fine (even without registering it...). That is to say: I just *think* it needs to be registered on my computer...doesn't it?

Strictly speaking, the register batch process is only really required when switching between applications, although registering straight after installation is not a bad idea.

Although 'remote diagnosis' is always difficult, I don't think you have a problem.

Best regards, Ralf

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Regsvr32 exe - Registering TRADOS problem Jul 25, 2004

Hi Ralf,

I appreciate your quick and helpful response

Yep. It was an error message, saying "Regsvr32.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss geschlossen werden". Upon closing the error window, the DOS Window reads, "Registering TRADOS Applications" and then closes.

If you say that that's how this process usually shuts down, then I guess I have everything registered. Plus, I'm not switching
... See more
Hi Ralf,

I appreciate your quick and helpful response

Yep. It was an error message, saying "Regsvr32.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss geschlossen werden". Upon closing the error window, the DOS Window reads, "Registering TRADOS Applications" and then closes.

If you say that that's how this process usually shuts down, then I guess I have everything registered. Plus, I'm not switching between applications. So, I guess I'm lucky

Again, thank you for your help!!

Kind regards,

Annika

[Edited at 2004-07-25 20:05]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You should not have any problems, as you run only one version of Trados Jul 25, 2004

but..
AnnikaLight wrote:
[Edited at 2004-07-25 20:05]

This does not sound good, as the registry editor (regsvr32.exe) has generated faults.
I would not start this one again, as making changes in the registry of Windows may cause serious damages on your system, including the total collaps of Windows.
If anything runs as it should, appreciate it and do not use this option anymore.
Should something refuse to work, you could use the option Start - Alle Programme - Zubehör - Systemprogramme - Systemwiederherstellung to restore your last working configuration (assumed you are working with Windows XP).

Regards
Jerzy

PS

"Clicking on something just to see what happens" is playing with the Devil. I would strongly advice anybody to let his fingers far away from such "games", as far as you are not VERY sure bout what you are doing.
Otherwise you can see yourself seconds after sitting in front of corrupted or blank screen.

[Edited at 2004-07-25 20:30]

Annika Neudecker
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... that might have come across the wrong way... Jul 25, 2004

Dear Jerzy,

Thanks for your tips. I can see where you're coming from My "playing around" might have come across the wrong way. I'm generally a very, very careful computer user, and I don't tend to "play" with things I know nothing about.

I just felt that clicking on "registering Trados" couldn't possible be a "dangerous" thing and I wouldn't necessarily equate clicking on a "register" button with playing
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

Thanks for your tips. I can see where you're coming from My "playing around" might have come across the wrong way. I'm generally a very, very careful computer user, and I don't tend to "play" with things I know nothing about.

I just felt that clicking on "registering Trados" couldn't possible be a "dangerous" thing and I wouldn't necessarily equate clicking on a "register" button with playing with the "devil".

I do see your point, though. Changing something in the Windows registry can cause major chaos...

Thank you!

Regards,

Annika
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering TRADOS Freelance 6.5 doesn't work....

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »