ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: efreitag
MultiTerm 2011: How to avoid double entries when updating multi-language termbase from xls?

efreitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:01
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 17, 2012

Dear colleagues,

Quite some time ago, I received a terminology list from a client, as an Excel file. It contained four columns, one for each of the languages involved.

From this excel file, I generated a termbase for MultiTerm 2011, which since then I have been using and adding entries to. Everything fine so far.

Now I have received an updated list (Excel file again). This one contains an extra column with additional information for the term in that row.

I'd like to update my termbase accordingly, but I don't want to risk polluting my fine termbase with double entries (which has happened to me more than once before). Also, I'd like to incorporate the extra information in an additional field.

Which procedure would you recommend? How can I avoid getting double entries (this has happened quite some times to me)?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:01
Member (2010)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I think it could go like this... Oct 17, 2012

Update your import definition first by selecting Catalog-Definition-Edit. In Descriptive Fields window, enter the field label used in your customer's Excel sheet. Then in Entry Structure, place the new field in the appropriate location.

You can then convert the new Excel file into a .xml file and select Catalog-Import-Process to import into your existing termbase. Not sure what would happen to duplicates.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2011: How to avoid double entries when updating multi-language termbase from xls?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you would like to create a new project, translate a do

More info »