Mobile menu

Translator's workbench and Arabic
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Arabic
Aug 8, 2004

I have just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance, and when I tried using Translator's Workbench with a Word file to translate a text from English into Arabic, things irst appear fine, then when I click Next on the Trados Toolbar the previous Arabic text turns into unreadable characters. What is the problem here? knowing that I use Word 2003, and I used the Demo version of Trados before getting the license and everything was alright.

I appreciate your help very much

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you checked the language settings of the file you are translating? Aug 8, 2004

Did you adapt the styles to the target language?
If no, do not wonder - Trados tries to restore the settings as in the template.
The problem with corrupted characters, templates and Word has been dealt with here on ProZ in numerous cases.
Please use the search functin to find the appropriate threads.

You can also look at the Trados support database on the Internet: - possibly you´ll find some solutions there.

But the first thing one should do, if requested to tranlate a Word document, is to adapt at least the languages in the styles. Otherwise the whole translation process will not work properly with all languages, using special characters.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
Partial member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Font Setup Aug 9, 2004

Try this:

Trados Workbench : FILE>SETUP>FONTS

Set your pair of fonts and make sure the target font is inline with the job you are doing. e.g. If you are processing an EN>AR job, you could use Arabic Transparent as target and make sure you click the box at the bottom that makes this default for that job.

The other issue is that you only see the unclear marjs in the segments? perform a concordance search for something in one of your TM's, how does the output look?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's workbench and Arabic

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs