Microsoft Translator plugin not working (reliably)
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 17:21
Nov 7, 2012

I am trying to use the Microsoft Translator plugin, but it does not work reliably.

My Client ID and Client Secret are definitely correct, which is confirmed by the fact that every now and then a segment will be translated, but 9 out of 10 searches result in the error message:

"Cannot find an active Azure Market Place Translator Subscription associated with request credentials"

This problem occurs in both the old and new version of the plugin.

... See more
I am trying to use the Microsoft Translator plugin, but it does not work reliably.

My Client ID and Client Secret are definitely correct, which is confirmed by the fact that every now and then a segment will be translated, but 9 out of 10 searches result in the error message:

"Cannot find an active Azure Market Place Translator Subscription associated with request credentials"

This problem occurs in both the old and new version of the plugin.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

[Edited at 2012-11-07 01:24 GMT]
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 11:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
This generally means you are entering incorrect credentials Nov 7, 2012

This usually happens when you are not entering the correct credentials. Please follow the instructions at the following link and be sure to look at the screenshots:

http://www.linguisticproductions.com/mtenhancedmst/mstSignupInstructions.html

If you are sure you have followed these instructions properly and are still having problems,
... See more
This usually happens when you are not entering the correct credentials. Please follow the instructions at the following link and be sure to look at the screenshots:

http://www.linguisticproductions.com/mtenhancedmst/mstSignupInstructions.html

If you are sure you have followed these instructions properly and are still having problems, please submit a bug report through the support page and specify your return email.

Thanks,
Patrick Porter- creator of MS Translator plugin
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
.. Nov 8, 2012

Thanks Patrick, but I have checked my log-in details numerous times and am absolutely sure they are correct. As I said, occasionally it will work.

I will submit a bug report.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
Finnish to French
Checking your Microsoft Translator credentials Nov 8, 2012

Lutz Molderings wrote:
Thanks Patrick, but I have checked my log-in details numerous times and am absolutely sure they are correct. As I said, occasionally it will work.

If you said you failed to get translations nine times out of ten, it's hardly proof your credentials are correct. Have you tried testing them in another tool, for instance Wordfast Anywhere or MemSource, both of which can be used for free?

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
? Nov 8, 2012

So what exactly happens when it does work? Is it possible that the credentials simply experience a brief moment of correctness every now and then?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Pure luck? Nov 8, 2012

Lutz Molderings wrote:
So what exactly happens when it does work? Is it possible that the credentials simply experience a brief moment of correctness every now and then?

Maybe you're just lucky...

If your credentials would work everytime in Wordfast Anwyhere or in MemSource, but only one time out of ten in Studio, you would have established for sure that 1) they are correct and 2) there's a bug in the Studio plugin. If they wouldn't work in Wordfast / MemSource either, you would have established they are not correct (or perhaps that you have a problem with your internet connection, firewall etc.).

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
maybe Nov 8, 2012

Well, maybe. Not so sure that's how computers work, but anyway ...

It's actually less the fact that it works every now and then that convinces me that my credentials are correct than the fact that I have compared and copied & pasted the credential so many times.

I will see whether I can get it to work in another tool. That's a good idea, thanks.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Proof that the plugin works Nov 8, 2012

Lutz Molderings wrote:
It's actually less the fact that it works every now and then that convinces me that my credentials are correct than the fact that I have compared and copied & pasted the credential so many times.

Here is what happens with correct credentials and a working internet connection:

http://youtu.be/TtkSBgSCS-k?hd=1

See, works ten times out of ten, in less than 30 seconds

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 11:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
The random times that it works do not necessarily mean the credentials are correct... Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for all the feedback Lutz and Dominique.

The random times that it works do not necessarily mean the credentials are correct, which can understandably be confusing. Apparently, the MS Translator API will let a request with bad credentials slip by every so often.

Several other users have reported the same problem in the past, and it turned out that they had not taken all the steps necessary to fully activate their subscriptions. To properly activate a subscriptio
... See more
Thanks for all the feedback Lutz and Dominique.

The random times that it works do not necessarily mean the credentials are correct, which can understandably be confusing. Apparently, the MS Translator API will let a request with bad credentials slip by every so often.

Several other users have reported the same problem in the past, and it turned out that they had not taken all the steps necessary to fully activate their subscriptions. To properly activate a subscription to the API, there are two distinct steps: 1) Subscribe to the Microsoft Translator 'dataset' in the Windows Azure Marketplace, and 2) 'Register an Application' by clicking the 'Register' button on the Windows Azure 'Developers' page (click the link in my earlier reply for detailed step-by-step instructions, with screenshots). Also keep in mind that the steps should be completed in order.

Lutz, it seems possible that you may have done step 2, since you say you have a "Client ID" and "Client Secret" (step 2 is the only way to get that), but perhaps you have not done step 1. However, in the past some users have done step 1, but not 2, somehow thinking they were entering correct credentials in the plugin, and getting the same error.

So, I would strongly suggest taking a look at my instructions page, including the screenshots, which contain helpful captions. I am 99% sure this is not a bug with the program, but a problem with the credentials or overlooking to subscribe to the dataset. The process is a bit complicated and slightly counter-intuitive, but having plugin users sign up for their own private credentials is the only way I could keep the plugin free and avoid capping usage. It is also possible to use the anonymous access option, but this free access is granted to my application for a limited time by Microsoft in exchange for returning post-edited segments back to the API (see the documentation for more information on this option, including information about privacy).

[Edited at 2012-11-08 13:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-11-08 13:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-11-08 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Alternative instructions Nov 8, 2012

Patrick Porter wrote:
So, I would strongly suggest taking a look at my instructions page, including the screenshots, which contain helpful captions.

Just in case, I'll also mention my own instructions

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/05/01/new-microsoft-translator-api-with-client-id-and-client-secret/
or
http://youtu.be/Wwu0MUVDDng?hd=1

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Translator plugin not working (reliably)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »