Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 22:16
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Nov 30, 2012

Hello,

When I translate from German into French, I get an error message, though it is properly translated. This is disturbing, but what wonders me is, whether Studio will find real errors if such occurs.

Example:
German says: 1,0 Vol.%
French: 1,0 % vol

As you can see, the coma is there in both languages and the figure is the same. Yet I have little red icon on the left of the target text. Could anyone explain this to me? I'd like to be able
... See more
Hello,

When I translate from German into French, I get an error message, though it is properly translated. This is disturbing, but what wonders me is, whether Studio will find real errors if such occurs.

Example:
German says: 1,0 Vol.%
French: 1,0 % vol

As you can see, the coma is there in both languages and the figure is the same. Yet I have little red icon on the left of the target text. Could anyone explain this to me? I'd like to be able to trust QA check, but this is not possible if I get wrong error messages all the time.

It seems to be that Studio does not recognise "1,0" but "1","0" (both figures, 1 and 0, are underlined in blue, but not as one figure "0,1"). Might this be a clue?

For any help, many thanks!
Caroline
Collapse

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:16
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
QA check can be fine tuned Nov 30, 2012

Dear Caroline,

You can fine tune your QA check by clicking on Project Settings and then QA check (or was it QA Verification? - I don't have Studio right now). I mean you can uncheck "Numbers" or any other issue so that the QA Verification tool stops bothering you.

Cheers,

Maria

Caroline Charlier
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still would like the number checker to work Nov 30, 2012

Hello Maria,

Thanks for your answer, but I wish I could use this feature as it is intended to work. Switching it off is no solution for me.

Caroline

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Writing numbers and measurements Nov 30, 2012

Hi Caroline,

I think the problem in your case is that both German and French use the metric system so Studio is looking for valid numbers. In your case the German source is considered incorrect because Vol.% is not considered a valid way to write % Vol.

The result is that Studio finds the number 1,0 and now looks for this in the target. What it finds is a new number with a measurement. You can see this is you write both styles into the source and see what happens. W
... See more
Hi Caroline,

I think the problem in your case is that both German and French use the metric system so Studio is looking for valid numbers. In your case the German source is considered incorrect because Vol.% is not considered a valid way to write % Vol.

The result is that Studio finds the number 1,0 and now looks for this in the target. What it finds is a new number with a measurement. You can see this is you write both styles into the source and see what happens. With the existing German you see this:

So only the 1,0 is recognised. But if I edit this to what Studio considers the correct way I see this:

This time the whole number and unit are recognised as one placeable.

The effect of this is that the error shows two things:

1. You have an extra measurement in the target
  2. The number that was recognised in the source is no longer in the target (the number and unit are) so you get a number missing error too.

So the advice to turn off the number recognition for a text like this is probably the best one, and then perhaps create a custom rule to look for the source pattern you have and the target pattern you expect. This way you can still use QA to check you are doing what you want.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Or you can leave it on Dec 1, 2012

see what it offers as an error and then just ignore it. It happens alot to me when there is, for example 10 in a row where the checker reads "10 in" as 10 inch but when I do the translation the following word may not be in but something completely different so it shows me an error.

I take a quick glance, see that it is not really an error, and then I just ignore it. I still perfer to leave it on and have this double check. It just takes a quick glance to see that things are ok and
... See more
see what it offers as an error and then just ignore it. It happens alot to me when there is, for example 10 in a row where the checker reads "10 in" as 10 inch but when I do the translation the following word may not be in but something completely different so it shows me an error.

I take a quick glance, see that it is not really an error, and then I just ignore it. I still perfer to leave it on and have this double check. It just takes a quick glance to see that things are ok and move on. Just a fraction of a second really.

Eileen
Collapse

Caroline Charlier
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Numbers are not recognised properly in the source text. Jan 11, 2013

Hello,

I've got the same problem again: the numbers, let say "0,1" in German are not recognised and not underlined as one number, but as "0", which is underlined in blue, than comes the coma, than the "1", also underlined. Meaning that Studio is expecting 2 numbers in the target text, but doesn't find it in French (though written exactly the same way). In your example, Paul, "1,0" is recognised as one number, isn't it?

I guess this is a TM-parameter issue, but I can't f
... See more
Hello,

I've got the same problem again: the numbers, let say "0,1" in German are not recognised and not underlined as one number, but as "0", which is underlined in blue, than comes the coma, than the "1", also underlined. Meaning that Studio is expecting 2 numbers in the target text, but doesn't find it in French (though written exactly the same way). In your example, Paul, "1,0" is recognised as one number, isn't it?

I guess this is a TM-parameter issue, but I can't find anything like "number recognition".

Any idea?
Many thanks indeed.

Caroline
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did you turn off number recognition previously? Jan 11, 2013

Hi Caroline,

Check here against your TM:

Regards

Paul

Caroline Charlier
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This field is checked Jan 11, 2013

Good morning Paul

This field is checked. I use several TMs, but it is checked in all of them.

Regards,
Caroline

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Got time for a quick look? Jan 11, 2013

Hi Caroline,

If you have time and are ok with the idea drop me an email and I'll set up a quick online meeting so we can have a look... might be quicker than guessing.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number issue in Studio 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »