Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2013

Hello everyone,

Back with a problem (although it's been awhile!)...

I cannot save the target content becasue of the following error: "Length cannot be less than zero / Parameter: length".

I take this to mean that I need to find this parameter and change it, but I don't know how to do so (or otherwise remedy the situation). Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update (still no better) Jan 28, 2013

I've opened Tools > Options > Verification > Length verification. Am I in the right place? I can't save the target text in spite of fiddling with these options.

I have gone back to the part of the document where my last target text was able to be processed -- a full day of work ago -- and I cannot for the life of me see a segment with nothing in it. I'm not even sure that this is what the error means.

Sending out an SOS!!

[Edited at 2013-01-28 16:02 GMT]

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
try these links Jan 29, 2013

This problem comes up fairly often, and I have had myself. Here are some links that will give you pointers and hopefully enable you to solve the problem. Could be something to do with subscripts/superscripts:

http://baq.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/211883-i_cant_save_target_file_in_trados_studio_2009.html

... See more
This problem comes up fairly often, and I have had myself. Here are some links that will give you pointers and hopefully enable you to solve the problem. Could be something to do with subscripts/superscripts:

http://baq.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/211883-i_cant_save_target_file_in_trados_studio_2009.html

http://vls.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/192539-failed_to_save_target_content:_length_cannot_be_less_than_zero_parameter_name:_length.html
Collapse

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you David! Jan 29, 2013

Hi David,

I actually gave up yesterday and copy-pasted the text onto Word (and then spent two hours re-formatting)... But it is helpful to know where the problem came from to avoid it in the future.

I believe it was the insertion of extra tags in the target text: foreign words put into italics, for example.

Thank you anyway, for hearing my SOS!

Best regards,

Veronic
... See more
Hi David,

I actually gave up yesterday and copy-pasted the text onto Word (and then spent two hours re-formatting)... But it is helpful to know where the problem came from to avoid it in the future.

I believe it was the insertion of extra tags in the target text: foreign words put into italics, for example.

Thank you anyway, for hearing my SOS!

Best regards,

Veronica
Collapse

Paul Sabin
Paul Sabin  Identity Verified
Germany
Subscript/Superscript problem Apr 8, 2014

In case this helps anyone in the future:

I just had this problem myself, and I fixed it by removing instances of subscript/superscript in the target language where they did not exist in the source.

So where the client had written CO2, I had used subscript. This was apparently causing the "Length cannot be less than zero" error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: "Length cannot be less than zero"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »