Collaborate on SDL Trados
Thread poster: Anurag Gupta
Anurag Gupta
Anurag Gupta  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
English to Hindi
Jan 30, 2013

Hi All,

Just want to check if it is possible to collaborate on SDL Trados with another translator? If I purchase a copy of SDL Trados and install it on a common server (for example SKY DRIVE), can my fellow translator with whom I am collaborating also work on the same software? Please note that the other person is located in another region.

Thanks.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Finnish to French
Which package? Jan 30, 2013

Anurag Gupta wrote:
Just want to check if it is possible to collaborate on SDL Trados with another translator? If I purchase a copy of SDL Trados and install it on a common server (for example SKY DRIVE), can my fellow translator with whom I am collaborating also work on the same software? Please note that the other person is located in another region.

"SDL Trados" is not a product. SDL's collaborative package for translators is called SDL Studio Groupshare. Is it the one you have in mind?

Anurag Gupta
English to Hindi
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is what I was looking for Jan 31, 2013

Thanks Dominique. Yes, this is what I am looking for.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Studio Groupshare Jan 31, 2013

Anurag Gupta wrote:
Yes, this is what I am looking for.

If you haven't purchased it yet, prepare yourself for a high price (this is why the price is not mentioned on the website). However, the price is negotiable (also why it's not mentioned). Do tell the SDL sales guy you are also considering memoQ serverFive and you'll see the price of Studio Groupshare melt like snow in the sun, like going from five figures to four figures (talking euros here)

Anurag Gupta
English to Hindi
TOPIC STARTER
That's too expensive Feb 1, 2013

Hi Dominique, That's too expensive. When I wrote "that's what I am looking for", I meant the utility aspect of the software i.e. collaboration.

I have no experience of this software (any version) but am gearing up to learn it. Already downloaded the free trial version. Can do some spending but not much and "4 figures in Euros" certainly not.

I have been doing translation for 7-8 years but that too sporadic and as a voluntary service for a Monk whose writings I apprecia
... See more
Hi Dominique, That's too expensive. When I wrote "that's what I am looking for", I meant the utility aspect of the software i.e. collaboration.

I have no experience of this software (any version) but am gearing up to learn it. Already downloaded the free trial version. Can do some spending but not much and "4 figures in Euros" certainly not.

I have been doing translation for 7-8 years but that too sporadic and as a voluntary service for a Monk whose writings I appreciate a lot. I have been doing this for him as a service. Recently I started to get some commercial work in translation (website translations) so felt why not develop translation as a career further and hence am looking for learning this software to boost my profile.

One another person is also involved with me in this venture and we together serve the Monk by translating his books. Hence I thought if I can get something which allows collaboration, I should understand more about it and if pocket allows, lets purchase it and do the service with more productivity and enthusiasm!

Anyway, many thanks for your guidance and advise. If you have something in mind for my need, I look forward to hear from you again!:-)
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere or OmegaT Feb 1, 2013

Anurag Gupta wrote:

OK, in that case the SDL offering is definitely out of your league. You would want to consider Wordfast Anywhere and/or OmegaT. You can't beat the price: both are free.

Wordfast Anywhere has collaboration built-in. For OmegaT, you can check the following link:

http://www.qabiria.com/en/resources/articles/286-condividere-progetto-omegat-subversion.html

For a quick overview of Wordfast Anywhere and OmegaT, also check my videos on YouTube:

OmegaT -> http://youtu.be/O7y6zWzV-yY?hd=1
Wordfast Anywhere -> http://youtu.be/ww28wyVoYSw?hd=1

I often cover this kind of matters on my YouTube channel, so you may want to subscribe at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CATguruEN

Anurag Gupta
English to Hindi
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT vs SDL Trados Studio, Wordfast Anywhere vs SDL Trados Studio Feb 1, 2013

Dominique,

Thanks again. The videos were very useful and I also subscribed to your channel.

More questions for my side:

1. Does Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere comparable with SDL Trados Studio 2011? The impression I have is that SDL is the industry leader in CAT.

2. Will learning Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere help boost my resume in a similar way if I would have learned SDL Trados Studio?

3. If a job is posted in the future where t
... See more
Dominique,

Thanks again. The videos were very useful and I also subscribed to your channel.

More questions for my side:

1. Does Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere comparable with SDL Trados Studio 2011? The impression I have is that SDL is the industry leader in CAT.

2. Will learning Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere help boost my resume in a similar way if I would have learned SDL Trados Studio?

3. If a job is posted in the future where there is a requirement to know SDL Trados Studio, will I be eligible to apply or I have to regret to the outsourcer that I only know Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere, but I do not have any experience with SDL Trados Studio?

Looking forward to your response. Thanks again!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please re-post in Omega-T forum. Thank you
Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Studio vs. other tools Feb 2, 2013

Anurag Gupta wrote:
1. Does Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere comparable with SDL Trados Studio 2011?

All CAT tools are comparable with one another just like cars of different brands: they all have four wheels, a steering wheel, a gearbox etc. and will let you drive from A to B.
Anurag Gupta wrote:
The impression I have is that SDL is the industry leader in CAT.

In the country where I live, Toyota is the most common car brand. I'm sure Toyotas are fine cars, but I don't drive one and I can still go from A to B.
Anurag Gupta wrote:

Using any CAT tool is better than using no tool at all and knowing any CAT tool will be useful for learning how to use another tool.
The main purpose of using a CAT tool for a translator is to make him/her more productive, not to "boost his/her résumé". So you should use a tool that you enjoy working with, find intuitive and that makes you more productive.
I believe translators should be hired on the merit of their skills as translators, not on the basis of the tool(s) they use.
Anurag Gupta wrote:
3. If a job is posted in the future where there is a requirement to know SDL Trados Studio, will I be eligible to apply or I have to regret to the outsourcer that I only know Omega T and Wordfast Anywhere, but I do not have any experience with SDL Trados Studio?

See above. Good translators will always be in demand, regardless of the tools they use (in fact, even if they use no tools at all). Jobs that "require" the use of a particular tool are often the lousiest ones anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collaborate on SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »