PalomaGR
PalomaGR  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:38
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2013

Hey SDL

I'm about to get started as a freelancer and need to buy both Studio and Office licenses. I've been reading about some compatibility problems that were apparently caused by the test version of Office 365.

Since your website is down right now (?), I could't find any "official" information or facts about those issues and/or if they have been solved by now or will be fixed some time soon, would you b
... See more
Hey SDL

I'm about to get started as a freelancer and need to buy both Studio and Office licenses. I've been reading about some compatibility problems that were apparently caused by the test version of Office 365.

Since your website is down right now (?), I could't find any "official" information or facts about those issues and/or if they have been solved by now or will be fixed some time soon, would you be so kind and help me? I assume it doesn't depend on the version I buy (Home and Office or Small Business), right?

Thanks a lot!
Paloma
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
Finnish to French
Office 2013/365 compatibility Feb 10, 2013

PalomaGR wrote:
I'm about to get started as a freelancer and need to buy both Studio and Office licenses.

How can you know what you "need to" buy even before getting started? Have you tried Studio and compared it to other similar tools? Most translation tools (including Studio) have a trial version you can download. The Studio trial is fully functional for 30 days, but it doesn't include the terminology management component, which is a separate program (MultiTerm).
PalomaGR wrote:
I've been reading about some compatibility problems that were apparently caused by the test version of Office 365.

Office 365 is the same program as Office 2013, the difference is in the selling/licensing scheme: with Office 2013, you can install it on one computer and use it for as long as you will; with Office 365, you can install it on several computers, but you can only use it for one year. Office 365 also includes online services from Microsoft (storage space on SkyDrive etc.).

The current version of Studio 2011 can't open Word documents created with Office 2013, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81Alfdsick?hd=1

SDL will probably release a fix to that problem.
PalomaGR wrote:
I assume it doesn't depend on the version I buy (Home and Office or Small Business), right?

There should be no difference (from Studio's point of view) between the various editions of Office 2013/2015.

PalomaGR
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio is a "must" for me Feb 10, 2013

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your answer!

I do have to use Studio when translating or doing some PM for the main agencies I'm gonna work with. But I get your point, in fact, I've been thinking about the other possibilities for weeks. I've already been using different Trados versions for several years in my last position as PM and it would definitely be great if I could give other CAT tools a try now and avoid spending so much money, but I'm afraid Studio is a must for me ri
... See more
Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your answer!

I do have to use Studio when translating or doing some PM for the main agencies I'm gonna work with. But I get your point, in fact, I've been thinking about the other possibilities for weeks. I've already been using different Trados versions for several years in my last position as PM and it would definitely be great if I could give other CAT tools a try now and avoid spending so much money, but I'm afraid Studio is a must for me right now.

I'm aware of the fact that I can download a trial version before I decide whether to buy it or not but I feel like I actually don't have any other choice if I want to get jobs from these companies and SDL is offering a discount this month...

Of course I would be much happier if I could get started with some other better/less expensive tool, without buying Studio or even buying only Trados 2007 since I've worked a lot with it and already got used to it but well, it's too late (right?) and I would still have to deal with the fact that I could not use it when getting packages from these agencies.

Thanks for the video - again, I get your point

Btw, is it my computer or my Internet provider or is SDLs website still down? Have tried using Opera and Internet Explorer and doesn't work still.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
memoQ Feb 10, 2013

PalomaGR wrote:
I would still have to deal with the fact that I could not use it when getting packages from these agencies.

memoQ can open Studio packages:

It can also open Transit packages, which Studio can't do. And it can be used to work in memoQ online projects, which Studio can't do either. It also supports the TXML format (Wordfast Pro) directly, which Studio doesn't. memoQ is not particularly cheap, but if interchangeability / compatibility with tools used by agencies (not all of them are Trados shops these days) is of importance, it's a better choice IMO.

PalomaGR
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Feb 10, 2013

Wow, that is really good news. I had no idea about that! I could only remembered some translators working with memoQ having trouble with some files I had sent them some years ago. I had also heard of agencies turning down new translators with memoQ because of some incompatibility problems. But I will have to take a deeper look at it now. Maybe they were just ocasional issues or they were using an older version or they simply didn't want to take the "risk", if any at all? I'll have a look at it r... See more
Wow, that is really good news. I had no idea about that! I could only remembered some translators working with memoQ having trouble with some files I had sent them some years ago. I had also heard of agencies turning down new translators with memoQ because of some incompatibility problems. But I will have to take a deeper look at it now. Maybe they were just ocasional issues or they were using an older version or they simply didn't want to take the "risk", if any at all? I'll have a look at it right now, thanks a lot!Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
45-day trial + ask for feeedback on the memoQ list Feb 10, 2013

I would suggest you download and install the fully functional 45-day trial. You will probably be able to obtain a sample Studio package (.SDLPPX) via your former colleagues or other contacts for testing purposes.

You may also want to ask for feedback on the memoQ list (which is more active than the dedicate
... See more
I would suggest you download and install the fully functional 45-day trial. You will probably be able to obtain a sample Studio package (.SDLPPX) via your former colleagues or other contacts for testing purposes.

You may also want to ask for feedback on the memoQ list (which is more active than the dedicated ProZ forum). Many list members routinely translate Studio packages, so you'll get unbiased info about the way the current memoQ version handles them.

You may also want to compare the TCO of mainstream CAT tools, including Studio and memoQ. You'll see that Studio is not only more expensive to buy, but also more expensive to maintain over the years.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please discuss MemoQ in MemoQ forum Feb 10, 2013

This is SDL Trados forum, and the topic title is "Studio + Office 365".

Thank you everybody.

PalomaGR
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Feb 10, 2013

Sorry, Natalie!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just wanted to add a cople of things... Feb 10, 2013

Hi Paloma,

I think that before you take it for granted that the advice you get from Dominique is accurate and unbiased you should take the trial and test the workflows out you have with your potential clients first. I can tell you that if you have clients who do want to work with Studio and do make use of some features within, that you will need at least two things in addition to just memoQ or whatever other tool suggested as a suitable workaround:

1. A copy of Studio
... See more
Hi Paloma,

I think that before you take it for granted that the advice you get from Dominique is accurate and unbiased you should take the trial and test the workflows out you have with your potential clients first. I can tell you that if you have clients who do want to work with Studio and do make use of some features within, that you will need at least two things in addition to just memoQ or whatever other tool suggested as a suitable workaround:

1. A copy of Studio anyway
2. A good knowledge of how to "hop" between the tools without losing information

Dominique is correct in that many users do this quite happily, but please make sure you understand what will be required from your customers before you take his advice at face value.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Precautions... Feb 11, 2013

PalomaGR wrote:

Wow, that is really good news. I had no idea about that! I could only remembered some translators working with memoQ having trouble with some files I had sent them some years ago. I had also heard of agencies turning down new translators with memoQ because of some incompatibility problems.

Well, I know some agencies turning down new translators with Studio because of some legacy Trados incompatibility problems
E.g. the bilingual RTF are not handled in Studio and the DOC conversion may cause problems for some workflows (depending of the Word version, external QA tools etc.), the TTX files could be damaged etc.

I.e. the CAT hopping is always a little bit risky i.e. even if 99% of jobs created in a tool A are processed correctly in a tool B, it's always some incertitude (bugs in the software, unhandled minor features, unhandled recent file format changes etc.).

E.g. in the past, memoQ used an incorrect encoding for TTX files which caused a lot of problems for some customers, the format of comments inserted in DVX was incorrect etc.
Now, no CAT tool can process SDLXLIFF files with tracked changes (AFAIK, I may be wrong...) i.e. the revision can be done properly only in Studio etc. but the translation itself generally works well in most tools I'm aware.

But I will have to take a deeper look at it now. Maybe they were just ocasional issues or they were using an older version or they simply didn't want to take the "risk", if any at all?

In my life, I never translated more then one page in Trados in one run.
Nonetheless, I know very well what I'm doing and I own a Trados license in order to check the files exported by my preferred CAT tool (DVX) and fix 'em if necessary.

Cheers
GG

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
worst case scenarios Feb 11, 2013

I do not work in Trados/Studio as far as I can avoid it, but I take investment into this tool a necessary business cost since:

1. I can say to my customers I own the tool without lying about it. For some of them, my owning the tool seems to be an important aspect.

2. I can check the outgoing files in the tool to be sure their format is really OK.

3. If it comes to the worst, I can even work (on a small project) in the tool....
See more
I do not work in Trados/Studio as far as I can avoid it, but I take investment into this tool a necessary business cost since:

1. I can say to my customers I own the tool without lying about it. For some of them, my owning the tool seems to be an important aspect.

2. I can check the outgoing files in the tool to be sure their format is really OK.

3. If it comes to the worst, I can even work (on a small project) in the tool.

I can see that it may be tempting to save money on a replacement tool, but it is a bit too risky IMHO.

Antonin

[Edited at 2013-02-11 08:03 GMT]
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Filter for Office 365/2013 Feb 12, 2013

Paul,

We touched on this a while back and you said that SDL were unlikely to release any filter updates while Office 2013 was still in review. However, the product has been officially released for some time now and there has still been no response from SDL.

Any chance of an update on when SDL is likely to release a patch for the new Office? The problem should have been solved in advance of the launch, not weeks after (the YouTube video mentioned above by Dominique shows
... See more
Paul,

We touched on this a while back and you said that SDL were unlikely to release any filter updates while Office 2013 was still in review. However, the product has been officially released for some time now and there has still been no response from SDL.

Any chance of an update on when SDL is likely to release a patch for the new Office? The problem should have been solved in advance of the launch, not weeks after (the YouTube video mentioned above by Dominique shows that every other major CAT tool is able to cope with the new Word, only Trados stumbles)

I'd like to think that something is in the offing as we speak, but seeing as the update server appears to be offline ...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Office 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

Paul,

Any chance of an update on when SDL is likely to release a patch for the new Office? The problem should have been solved in advance of the launch, not weeks after (the YouTube video mentioned above by Dominique shows that every other major CAT tool is able to cope with the new Word, only Trados stumbles)

I'd like to think that something is in the offing as we speak, but seeing as the update server appears to be offline ...

Hi Nick,

It would not be the first time that Microsoft released a production version with changes to the preview, so we always wait until the production is out and then make sure there is nothing we need to be concerned about and then we release an update.

In order to ensure we know the differences we use the version number inside the file as one way to treat the file formats differently. In this case the current 2010 filter will probably be fine for the time being so we will issue an update in CU8 (Cumulative Update) that is due shortly and then you will be able to open these files with the 2010 filter and without making any changes for down save in 2010 or edit the docx xml.

Regards

Paul

PalomaGR
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 13, 2013

Hi!

Thank you for your comments.

Of course I'm not taking Dominique's advice for granted, but I was happy to hear something I had not heard before from any translator I've worked with within the last years.

The thing is I'm just surprised about the reactions I've been reading (not only here) regarding Trados OR Studio. In my 5 years work experience everyone (except one translator!) had Trados and was happy to use it or at least that is the impression I got.
... See more
Hi!

Thank you for your comments.

Of course I'm not taking Dominique's advice for granted, but I was happy to hear something I had not heard before from any translator I've worked with within the last years.

The thing is I'm just surprised about the reactions I've been reading (not only here) regarding Trados OR Studio. In my 5 years work experience everyone (except one translator!) had Trados and was happy to use it or at least that is the impression I got. They all had the chance to work with another CAT tool for free but they wouldn't use it as much as Trados. No one ever complained about it and they all seemed pretty happy with it so I have to say I was very surprised when almost 90% of the answers I got was rather negative (they don't own it, or they own it just in case but prefer to work with other tools).

Anyway, thank you SDL Support for your answer!

And again, thanks to you all!
Collapse

vird

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Off topic answers Feb 13, 2013

PalomaGR wrote:

I was very surprised when almost 90% of the answers I got was rather negative

People are quick to express negative views and talk about problems with software. I'm a very happy Studio user who didn't reply because the question was really about Office 365 (which I don't use). The thread went off topic rather fast and only wandered back on topic yesterday.

So I'd take your 90% of negative answers with a pinch of salt.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio + Office 365

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »