Mobile menu

Unable to open backed-up TMs
Thread poster: markj
markj
German to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2004

Hello

I copied my Trados 5.5 TMs to a CD-ROM for back-up reasons using Windows Explorer and now when I try to open them from the CD-ROM I'm told that they're write-protected and I need to enter a password to access them. Has anyone else ever come across this problem?

Thanks
Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:50
English to German
+ ...
Data on CD-ROM is always write-protected Sep 1, 2004

Hi Mark,
Data on a CD-ROM is always write-protected; in fact, even if you copy the files back, you will need to remove the "read-only" flag.

If you just need to access these files for reference purposes, you could try defining the TM as the background (read-only) TM in the Concordance options.

HTH, Ralf

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
Export TMs for backup Sep 1, 2004

Hi Mark

When I backup TMs, I always export them to txt files.
One advantage is file size; e.g. I just exported a 4MB TM to a 614KB txt file.
Another advantage is the number of files: 1 file instead of 5.
Yet another advantage is version problems, which don't exist with export files.
Finally I save a copy of all my exported TMs on my harddisk, which allows me to search all of them quickly using any old search tool. That's is a very powerful way of reusing your old translations.

Best regards,
Jørgen

markj
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 2, 2004

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Mark

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open backed-up TMs

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs