Mobile menu

Multiterm Picklist
Thread poster: clodinski
clodinski
Local time: 16:48
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 1, 2004

I just realized I should write in English.

In Multerm 5.5 I was able to put free format text in the attribute fields by adding a colon to the end of the picklist.
After I converted an imported my termbase in Multiterm 6.2.0.267, this colon appeared as a definite choice and I do not see any possibility of entring free format text in the picklist-fields. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Arctic fox
German to English
free format text in attribute fields Sep 29, 2006

I have just converted my Multiterm 5.5. database to Multiterm 7 Team and am horrified that this is no longer available. Particularly for the Attribute "Source" we had made frequent use of the free text, thereby classifiying the source into groups like dictionary (free text which?), internet (URL), colleague (who), supplier's terminology (name of company), customer terminology, etc.. When deciding which of several translations to select, this detailed source was of great assistance as then you knew exactly how reliable the translation was.
I wonder if you found a solution in the meantime. I cannot imagine why Trados gave up such a valuable tool.

clodinski
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no chance Oct 1, 2006

Arctic fox wrote:

I have just converted my Multiterm 5.5. database to Multiterm 7 Team and am horrified that this is no longer available. Particularly for the Attribute "Source" we had made frequent use of the free text, thereby classifiying the source into groups like dictionary (free text which?), internet (URL), colleague (who), supplier's terminology (name of company), customer terminology, etc.. When deciding which of several translations to select, this detailed source was of great assistance as then you knew exactly how reliable the translation was.
I wonder if you found a solution in the meantime. I cannot imagine why Trados gave up such a valuable tool.

Here is the answer I got from Trados:
Diese Funktion steht in MultiTerm 6.x nicht mehr zur Verfügung. Der Grund dafür ist, daß in den Nachfolgeversionen von MultiTerm 5 Attributfelder und deren Werte beliebig definiert werden können, so daß die "Doppelpunkt"-Funktion nicht länger notwendig ist. Um das Publikationsdatum zu einer Quellenangabe hinzuzufügen, können Sie beispielsweise ein neues Attributfeld mit Namen "Jahrgang" und dem Datentyp Date definieren. In dieses Feld können dann die entsprechenden Jahreszahlen eingetragen werden. Oder Sie fügen das Publikationsdatum direkt im Quellenfeld ein.
Apparently, they just don't see the problem.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can define free-format fields yourself Oct 1, 2006

Apparently, they just don't see the problem.

TBH I don't see it either - why don't you define a free-format field?

Best, Ralf

Arctic fox
German to English
No filter for the import Oct 2, 2006

OK, so I make a field called Source group with a picklist and another embedded mandatory one for Source text which is free format. Fine, that would work just as well - if creating from scratch. But the import function Multiterm Convert doesn't offer any way of converting the previous entry into two fields, although I don't suppose it would be that difficult for a programmer as the colon is there to separate the fields.

I've just altered the definition of source from picklist to text and now have one field only. Seemed the easiest way out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Picklist

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs