Thread poster: Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 7, 2004

Hi everybody!

I have received an Excel file to be translated with Trados, but I've never done this before and I don't know how to do it. I have Trados 5.5 freelance (Trados Translator's Workbench 5.5.0.247 - Build 247) and the Excel file has got three colums: the first one with the original German text, the second one with the English version and the third one (empty) where I should write the Italian translation.

Can someone tell me what I have to do?

Tha
... See more
Hi everybody!

I have received an Excel file to be translated with Trados, but I've never done this before and I don't know how to do it. I have Trados 5.5 freelance (Trados Translator's Workbench 5.5.0.247 - Build 247) and the Excel file has got three colums: the first one with the original German text, the second one with the English version and the third one (empty) where I should write the Italian translation.

Can someone tell me what I have to do?

Thanks a lot!
Claudia
Collapse

Gloria Nobili
Gloria Nobili
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
T-window for excel Sep 7, 2004

Ciao.
Devi usare il modulo T-Window for Excel (non mi ricordo se è compreso nel pacchetto della versione 5.5)
Altrimenti, c\'è un altro sistema. Copia e incolla la colonna di Excel da tradurre all\'interno di Word. Lavora normalmente da lì in Trados e poi ricopia e incolla la tabella in Excel. Per evitare che il formato del carattere e delle celle si modifichi, una volta tornata in Excel posizionati sulla prima casella dove va inserita la traduzione e premi Ctrl+v.
Di solit
... See more
Ciao.
Devi usare il modulo T-Window for Excel (non mi ricordo se è compreso nel pacchetto della versione 5.5)
Altrimenti, c\'è un altro sistema. Copia e incolla la colonna di Excel da tradurre all\'interno di Word. Lavora normalmente da lì in Trados e poi ricopia e incolla la tabella in Excel. Per evitare che il formato del carattere e delle celle si modifichi, una volta tornata in Excel posizionati sulla prima casella dove va inserita la traduzione e premi Ctrl+v.
Di solito funziona... è un suggerimento.
XXX
Gloria
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word and Excel should be the same version Sep 7, 2004

if you want to follow previous suggestion, which is the same, I would have made here.
This works very good.

For translating whole Excel sheets I would suggest you to upgrade to Trados 6.5, as you then will be able to translate Excel files using TAG Editor. This is very convenient.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel files with Trados 5.5

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »