John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2013

I think this question has been discussed at length before but I can't find it. I have a laptop with Studio 2011 Freelance Plus which has crashed (damaged HDD). By crashed, I mean totally dead, unrecoverable. I hope to receive a new laptop tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I need to deactivate the Studio 2011 license for this computer in order to later reactivate it on the new computer. The SDL website helpfully says "Go to the Solutions Finder" which helpfully says "You need to deactivate yo
... See more
I think this question has been discussed at length before but I can't find it. I have a laptop with Studio 2011 Freelance Plus which has crashed (damaged HDD). By crashed, I mean totally dead, unrecoverable. I hope to receive a new laptop tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I need to deactivate the Studio 2011 license for this computer in order to later reactivate it on the new computer. The SDL website helpfully says "Go to the Solutions Finder" which helpfully says "You need to deactivate your license before changing or replacing your hard disk." Unfortunately, my computer didn't advise me ahead of time that it's HD was going to crash so I will have to deactivate the license after replacing the hard disk (and entire computer) but I can't find a provision to do so.

The "Solutions Finder" seems to go around in circles - after a series of helpful (but irrelevant) instructions the Solutions Finder sequence ends with "log a support incident via our Solutions Finder" but there's nowhere obvious to log a support incident and I thought I was already in the "Solutions Finder". If this sounds confusing, it is.

So how can I deactivate the license for this dead computer?

[Edited at 2013-03-26 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:01
English to French
+ ...
Link Mar 26, 2013

Try this link: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:SFTab:crumb:0. You need to click on the Solution Finder tab in your account at the top and it's straightforward. You'll get it rest within 24h.

HTH,

Bernard

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
screenshot of steps Mar 26, 2013

John Fossey wrote:

So how can I deactivate the license for this dead computer?

Well, I've just tried it out and it seems quite simple:

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Did it yesterday Mar 26, 2013

Log into your a/c on the SDL site, go the My Licences tab and there's an option there to return the licence.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 26, 2013

Thanks for all your help!

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Log into your a/c on the SDL site, go the My Licences tab and there's an option there to return the licence.

Unfortunately, it appears that to return the licence you still need to generate a "deactivation certificate" from within the (no longer functioning) software.

[Edited at 2013-03-26 19:45 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Activation Mar 26, 2013

You have to use "I've lost one of my license actions and ..." - works fine, I had it reset yesterday

[Edited at 2013-03-26 19:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deactivating license for a dead computer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »