Thread poster: Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

Dear all,

I saw the Trados MS Extract and tried the tutorial.
It looks quite interesting, apart for the price, as usual.
Is there anybody who tried to use it 'live', I mean to use the application on an actual job, to see if it is really so useful?
Then, anybody wkows based on what technical principle does it work? I mean, as the tutorial says it works even on new monolingual documents, with no previous memory, which way does it manage to do its work?
Thanks f
... See more
Dear all,

I saw the Trados MS Extract and tried the tutorial.
It looks quite interesting, apart for the price, as usual.
Is there anybody who tried to use it 'live', I mean to use the application on an actual job, to see if it is really so useful?
Then, anybody wkows based on what technical principle does it work? I mean, as the tutorial says it works even on new monolingual documents, with no previous memory, which way does it manage to do its work?
Thanks for your help.

ciao

anto
Collapse

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Monolingual term lists in TermExtract Sep 10, 2004

anto wrote:
I mean, as the tutorial says it works even on new monolingual documents, with no previous memory, which way does it manage to do its work?

Some words occur in a text more frequently and they are good candidates for terms. Very frequent common words that will be completely useless in a glossary are filtered (basing on some sort of a stoplist). Then you, the user, do the final weeding out of the resulting list. And you get your list of terms

[Edited at 2004-09-11 08:51]

[Edited at 2004-09-11 08:51]

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 11, 2004

Romuald Pawlikowski wrote:

anto wrote:
I mean, as the tutorial says it works even on new monolingual documents, with no previous memory, which way does it manage to do its work?

Some words occur in a text more frequently and they are good candidates for terms. Very frequent common words that will be completely useless in a glossary are filtered (basing on a some sort of a stoplist). Then you, the user, do the final weeding out of the resulting list. And you get the your list of terms

Thanks so much, I would be tempted to buy it, were it not so expensive.
I think I will wait for its price to decrease.

ciao

Antonella

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Used it on several occasions Sep 11, 2004

Hi Anto,
I have used MT Extract on several occasions, but not on specific jobs. Recent examples were documents issued by financial regulators in English and German, which I first aligned. I then used the result of the alignment to extract the 'official' terminology used by the regulators.

To get good results, you need to play around with the settings, but I find the results better than with its predecessor, TermExtract.

In summary, MT Extract is nothing you
... See more
Hi Anto,
I have used MT Extract on several occasions, but not on specific jobs. Recent examples were documents issued by financial regulators in English and German, which I first aligned. I then used the result of the alignment to extract the 'official' terminology used by the regulators.

To get good results, you need to play around with the settings, but I find the results better than with its predecessor, TermExtract.

In summary, MT Extract is nothing you would use on a day-to-day basis, but it's helpful to extract terminology from reference material.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 11, 2004

Hi Ralf

thank you for the explanation.
Before buying it I will consider the potential frequency of its use based on my typology of jobs.

Regards

Anto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados MT Extract

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »