The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: Denis1
AUTOSUGGEST creator
Denis1
May 27, 2013

Hello,

I want to buy AUTOSUGGEST Creator. In which way is AUTOSUGGEST Creator supposed to help the translation process? How does it improve the translation process more than MultiTerm Desktop already does? I mean, what's the ONE MAIN feature that AUTOSUGGEST will add (and that MultiTerm is unable to add)?

Thank you,

Denis

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Autosuggest May 27, 2013

Hi Denis,

AutoSuggest as its name suggests allows you to select entries from a TM, provided you've got at least 25,000 TUs in your TM to create a dictionary.

Is helpful - depends on your needs, etc. - speeds up typing somehow, also depends how fast you can type, find it useless at times.

Would prefer a better concordance search with portions found and more.

Bernard

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
Selecting entries from a TM May 28, 2013

Thanks for answering. However: MultiTerm allows direct access too, and it allows to select entries from the TM as well, if needed.
In which MAIN way is AUTOSUGGEST able to speed the translation process (at least theoretically)?
In other words, there must be a benefit that MultiTerm does not offer, otherwise nobody would buy AUTOSUGGEST...

Please, can you give a more detailed explanation?

Thanks,
Denis

SDL Support  Identity Verified
English
In a nutshell... May 28, 2013

... AutoSuggest uses three possible sources to provide predictive typing.

1. Multiterm
2. AutoText
3. AutoSuggest Dictionaries

The AutoSuggest Dictionaries are all you need the AutoSuggest Creator for and it is a mechanism for extracting phrases from your translation memories so they can be offered as predictive text as you type. The results are always based ojn the content of your source segment so you don't get too much noise and can enable you to effectively use a concordance result as you type.

There is an article here on how to create a dictionary like this using one of the DGT TMs and it shows how it might look as you work : http://goo.gl/g3qdp

Regards

Paul

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm main function May 29, 2013

Thanks for answering. The info regarding Autosuggest was helpful. However, I don't understand the benefits of MultiTerm. In the middle of the translation process, if the translator doesn't know a certain term, he can take a regular dictionary (the "paper" kind) and look up any word. The MultiTerm is INSTEAD of the "paper" regular dictionary? Does it mean that instead of opening the "paper" dictionary, the MultiTerm allows the translator to open a dictionary that is stored on his computer (or Online, as in the case of Online MultiTerm?), and it saves him time looking up for a word? Please tell me if I understood the basic concept correctly...

Giving it a second thought, why would one use the MultiTerm option in order to look up a word in a dictionary that is stored on his computer? I mean, one can simply open a Word or an Excel document in which there is a chart with words (alphabetically arranged) in the source text and their translation. So HOW does MultiTerm exactly help the translator and How does it save him time? Thanks.

English
If the term... May 29, 2013

... is in your MultiTerm termbase then it will highlighted in the source segment so all you do is press the first letter of the word (you can see it in the Term recognition window) and then enter. Probably faster than looking it up in a dictionary and typing it in? It also means you can be given a termbase containing approved terminology from your client and then Studio can check you are using the correct terms as you work... or afterwards. Probably faster than manually reviewing every segment to double check.

You could use MultiTerm online but then it would be like looking it up in a dictionary... sort of. Better to connect directly to the server based Termbase and use that in Studio too.

You can't use any dictionary stored on your computer... you would have to put this into a termbase first.

Just a few reasons.

Regards

Paul

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
AutoSuggest vs. MultiTerm alone May 30, 2013

Thanks. So, just to get it right, before I buy the program: The AutoSuggest Dictionaries are one of the 3 sources used by AutoSuggest to provide predictive typing. Due to AutoSuggest Dictionaries PHRASES from my translation memories are extracted and offered as predictive text as I type. (So the AutoSuggest Dictionaries are useful ONLY for suggesting PHRASES?) And MultiTerm is useful ONLY for suggesting single WORDS (specific terms)? Is that the MAIN difference between these 2 sources that AutoSuggest uses?

What if I have a technical term made of 2 words, like: "mother board"? My friend said that MultiTerm is useful also for terms containing more than one word.

So, please explain what's the MAIN difference between using the AutoSuggest Dictionaries and using only MultiTerm without the AutoSuggest Dictionaries (as sources for AutoSuggest)?

Thanks.

sdl_andy
Local time: 14:09
It depends what you need May 31, 2013

Hi Denis

Let's look at this another way.

What is it that you would like to do that has led you to look at AutoSuggest Creator?

Tell me what you're trying to solve and that should help us make a recommendation around the best solution for you.

MultiTerm and AutoSuggest are both excellent in their own way but are solving slightly different things.

Andy.

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
The MAIN advantage of using MultiTerm May 31, 2013

Thanks for replying. I just want to know, before I buy Trados and AutoSuggest as well, what is the MAIN advantage of using MultiTerm (without AutoSuggest Dictionaries) and what is the MAIN advantage of using AutoSuggest Dictionaries (without MultiTerm). I have no doubt it's great using them both at the same time, but I really need to know this difference before I buy Trados.

Thanks,

English
As Andy said... May 31, 2013

... it really depends on what you want these things for.

Both of them provide mechanisms for reducing keystrokes, and both of them can be single words or phrases. The simplified difference is that MultiTerm is created by you and the AutoSuggest Dictionary is generated from a Translation Memory.

As I said before "... it is a mechanism for extracting phrases from your translation memories so they can be offered as predictive text as you type. The results are always based on the content of your source segment so you don't get too much noise and can enable you to effectively use a concordance result as you type."

The more practical difference is that MultiTerm is usually used to prepare termbases that can be simple glossaries with source and target text... or they can be complex multilingual databases created and managed by Terminologists containing images, synonyms, forbidden terms, definitions etc... basically whatever you like.

Comparing these two things doesn't really make sense unless you are only considering this as a timesaver for entering text? In this case it's most likely to be the length of the suggestions that are more likely to be presented from your AutoSuggest Dictionary as a termbase is usually just terms! But you could manually add longer phrases in there if you like, but these are really less likely to be as comprehensive as those automatically generated from a Translation Memory and unless you have tens of thousands of them already to go will require a hell of a lot of work compared to automatically extracting them from a Translation Memory you already have.

If you are still concerned/unsure then why not take the trial and see for yourself?

Regards

Paul

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
AutoText Jun 1, 2013

Thanks a lot for explaining. So, did I get it right?

If someone doesn't have any previous lists of terms (in the source language), and their translations, he/she would benefit much more by using the AutoSuggest Dictionary rather than MultiTerm, right?

And I must buy the AutoSuggest Creator if I want to create (and then use) an AutoSuggest Dictionary, right?

But can it be that I can't create an AutoSuggest Dictionary unless I have at least 25,000 TUs in my TM? What if I have less TUs?

HOW is AutoText helpful?

Thanks,
Denis

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
Member (2011)
English to Italian
Info Jun 1, 2013

Hi
I am from SDL.
To use AutoSuggest Creator - you will need 25,000 TUs.
If you have less I am afraid it will not produce an AutoSuggest dictionary.

You can try and use old TMs and other bilingual files you might have and consolidate them all into one larger TM.

On our website - we have some ready made AutoSuggest Dictionaries - http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/autosuggest-dictionaries/default.asp - although something created with your own translation memory would give you much better results than these generic dictionaries.

AutoSuggest creates something much more comprehensive and in an automatic way from your TMs - whereas AutoText requires you make a list of all the words that you think you might use frequently. I think you need to type at least 3 or 4 characters and therefore it is something useful only for long words.

Creating it also would take more time as you need to manually create a list of words. AutoSuggest also can give you more than individual words but when it finds matches it could suggests you entire pieces of sentence.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

Denis1
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for helping Jun 1, 2013

Thanks a lot everyone! All of you helped a lot!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AUTOSUGGEST creator

SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014
Save time by automatically extracting terms. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014 allows you to automatically create candidate term lists from your existing documentation. This removes the manual effort involved with traditional terminology creation, allowing you to rapidly add terms to SDL MultiTerm.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »