Mobile menu

Trados 6.5 Freelance and Interleaf
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
English to Arabic
Oct 5, 2004

Dear All,

Does Trados 6.5 Freelance work with Interleaf? I appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank you all in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:25
English to German
+ ...
Yes - via S-Tagger Oct 5, 2004

Hi Tamara,
T6.5 supports Interleaf - why don't you have a look at the File Formats Reference Guide? Check under Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Documentation, or download it from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 5, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tamara,
T6.5 supports Interleaf - why don't you have a look at the File Formats Reference Guide? Check under Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Documentation, or download it from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

Thanks a lot Ralf for your prompt reply, as usual.

English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Another question please Oct 6, 2004

Do I need to have Interleaf to be able to work on an Interleaf file with Trados?

Thank you

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not necessarily, but I'm not 100% sure Oct 6, 2004

Hi again,

Looking at the workflow described in the File Formats Reference Guide...

How the S-Taggers Work
The S-Taggers are conversion utilities that convert FrameMaker MIF files and Interleaf IASCII files into STF, a tagged text format that is compatible with Translator’s Workbench and other TRADOS tools. You can translate STF files using TagEditor or Microsoft Word. Version 5.6 of the S-Taggers allows you to convert MIF and IASCII files directly to TRADOStag format.

(...)

TRADOS S-Tagger for Interleaf supports IASCII and catalog files saved from Interleaf 5.2 or later. This release supports Interleaf 7, included as part of the QuickSilver XML application suite.

(...)

Translation Workflow
(...)
3 Save your FrameMaker files as MIF or your Interleaf files as IASCII.

This would indicate that you could ask your client to save the files as IASCII (better text the export/import routine before going into practice).

But I'm sure someone will come up with some actual experience.

Best regards,
Ralf

English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 6, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

Looking at the workflow described in the File Formats Reference Guide...

How the S-Taggers Work
The S-Taggers are conversion utilities that convert FrameMaker MIF files and Interleaf IASCII files into STF, a tagged text format that is compatible with Translator’s Workbench and other TRADOS tools. You can translate STF files using TagEditor or Microsoft Word. Version 5.6 of the S-Taggers allows you to convert MIF and IASCII files directly to TRADOStag format.

(...)

TRADOS S-Tagger for Interleaf supports IASCII and catalog files saved from Interleaf 5.2 or later. This release supports Interleaf 7, included as part of the QuickSilver XML application suite.

(...)

Translation Workflow
(...)
3 Save your FrameMaker files as MIF or your Interleaf files as IASCII.

This would indicate that you could ask your client to save the files as IASCII (better text the export/import routine before going into practice).

But I'm sure someone will come up with some actual experience.

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks again Ralf. I will ask the client to do this, if there is no other solution.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It depends, if your client does have Trados or not Oct 6, 2004

If your client does not have Trados, then you will need to ask him to save the files as IASCII, as Ralf allready described.
If your client does have Trados, you can either get IASCII or tagged RTF from him.
This works just fine.
One of my clients has Trados and works with Interleaf/Quicksilver. He delivers tagged RTF, and this works without any problems. So I do not see, why this shouldn't work, if you would filter RTF using S-Tagger.
In any case, the client will need to adapt the IL file after the translation in the same way, as it is necessary with any DTP.

Regards
Jerzy

English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 6, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If your client does not have Trados, then you will need to ask him to save the files as IASCII, as Ralf allready described.
If your client does have Trados, you can either get IASCII or tagged RTF from him.
This works just fine.
One of my clients has Trados and works with Interleaf/Quicksilver. He delivers tagged RTF, and this works without any problems. So I do not see, why this shouldn't work, if you would filter RTF using S-Tagger.
In any case, the client will need to adapt the IL file after the translation in the same way, as it is necessary with any DTP.

Regards
Jerzy

Thank you very much Jerzy, this is great.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 Freelance and Interleaf

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs