Thread poster: Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 14, 2004

Hi,
I am running Trados 6.0 and Multiterm 6.0.2.231 build 238 (component of Multiterm iX)

I have a number of terminology lists (two languages, one per column, two colums in total)

How can I import those into Multiterm?

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Saskia

[Edited at 2004-10-14 10:45]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Update to 6.2.0.267 Oct 14, 2004

Hi Saskia,
IIRC the conversion utility provided with the first version of MTiX did not support Excel - MT Convert, which has been included since the MT Summer 2003 Service Release (see the downloads on TranslationZone, does the job. See this thread for some more det
... See more
Hi Saskia,
IIRC the conversion utility provided with the first version of MTiX did not support Excel - MT Convert, which has been included since the MT Summer 2003 Service Release (see the downloads on TranslationZone, does the job. See this thread for some more details.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 14, 2004

Ralf,
Many thanks. I thought I'd missed something... I will upgrade!
Kind regards,
Saskia

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Password Oct 15, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Saskia,
IIRC the conversion utility provided with the first version of MTiX did not support Excel - MT Convert, which has been included since the MT Summer 2003 Service Release (see the downloads on TranslationZone, does the job. See this thread for some more details.

HTH, Ralf

Dear Ralf,

I was not aware of this upgrade/patch. When downloading I need to fill in a "Login" and a password. I tried my License Certificate number, but failed to download the package. I do not have any other information to enter. Should I send an email to Trados support to optain the information needed?

I am using Multiterm 6, build 238. To import excel glossaries I have to prepare a file, import it to Multiterm (that came with 5.5), use the migration tool to convert it to XML, and then import it (Nice and easy!). All this work is one of the reasons why I do not use Trados all the time, but with an upgrade this might change.

One last question: In Wordfast you can use a "propagate" function that automatically insert a the target term of a source term found in the glossary into the target box when translating. Has Multiterm this function (and I am not talking about the translate and insert term -function in Trados Workbench)?

With this function, Trados would be one of the very best CAT-tools around. With today's system where you manually need to insert by using ALT-arrow is in some cases to time consuming.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Much easier workflow with MT Convert Oct 15, 2004

Hi Ivan,

I was not aware of this upgrade/patch. When downloading I need to fill in a "Login" and a password. I tried my License Certificate number, but failed to download the package. I do not have any other information to enter. Should I send an email to Trados support to optain the information needed?

Exactly.

I am using Multiterm 6, build 238. To import excel glossaries I have to prepare a file, import it to Multiterm (that came with 5.5), use the migration tool to convert it to XML, and then import it (Nice and easy!). All this work is one of the reasons why I do not use Trados all the time, but with an upgrade this might change.

The workflow using MT Convert directly supports .xls files.

One last question: In Wordfast you can use a "propagate" function that automatically insert a the target term of a source term found in the glossary into the target box when translating. Has Multiterm this function (and I am not talking about the translate and insert term -function in Trados Workbench)?

The function would need to be in Workbench or TagEditor, not in MultiTerm, of course - this does not exist. Personally, I wouldn't want this anyway: with a large termbase (and the resulting number of matches), you would get many unwanted terms in the target segment. The shortcut works perfectly for me.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thanks Oct 15, 2004

Personally, I wouldn't want this anyway: with a large termbase (and the resulting number of matches), you would get many unwanted terms in the target segment. The shortcut works perfectly for me.

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your quick reply. I will contact support.

I agree that this has to be a functin in TagEditor or Workbench. The propagate function is very handy for languages that differ slightly, like the Nordic languages. Then I do save a lot of time.

When I translate from English into Norwegian I agree with you, and then I do not need this function.

Best regards,

Ivan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing Excel terminology lists into Multiterm

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »